Modern Off-road Trailer Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

300AH?

Postby noseoil » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:08 am

Dang dude, with 300AH of storage you should be able to run a small arc welder while making coffee & still run the radio! We've gotten by with 100AH & can run anything (but the air conditioning), so with 300 you should be able to power the camp sites around you if needs be...

Wondering about a "target" weight on this build. Mine gained weight even though I tried to keep it light (1,660# when done). I erred on the side of caution with fastenings, adhesives & materials to do a strong box, but it was worth it in terms of durability & no trouble later on while on the road.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: 300AH?

Postby mhnudi » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:18 am

noseoil wrote:Dang dude, with 300AH of storage you should be able to run a small arc welder while making coffee & still run the radio! We've gotten by with 100AH & can run anything (but the air conditioning), so with 300 you should be able to power the camp sites around you if needs be...

Wondering about a "target" weight on this build. Mine gained weight even though I tried to keep it light (1,660# when done). I erred on the side of caution with fastenings, adhesives & materials to do a strong box, but it was worth it in terms of durability & no trouble later on while on the road.

Ha, we would like to be able to power an induction cooktop and occasionally run the AC at a low level for a few hours at a time which was the reason for going for a 300ah setup. We will have to see how it goes, but unless we are running AC, heat via electric, etc. we should be able to stay out indefinitely without hooking up.

The target weight with everything said and done is ~2,200lb. We have been doing a weight audit as things go in to the trailer, and I think based on what’s currently installed and what’s left we should be in the 2000lb range or so with some wiggle room. There’s a bit of uncertainty with some of the wood materials going in but time will tell as I can finally drive it off and get it weighed.
mhnudi
Teardrop Builder

Re: 300AH?

Postby working on it » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:37 am

noseoil wrote:...Wondering about a "target" weight on this build. Mine gained weight even though I tried to keep it light (1,660# when done). I erred on the side of caution with fastenings, adhesives & materials to do a strong box, but it was worth it in terms of durability & no trouble later on while on the road.

mhnudi wrote:The target weight with everything said and done is ~2,200lb. We have been doing a weight audit as things go in to the trailer, and I think based on what’s currently installed and what’s left we should be in the 2000lb range or so with some wiggle room. There’s a bit of uncertainty with some of the wood materials going in but time will tell as I can finally drive it off and get it weighed.

My goal for my 4x8 was to be 1000 lbs loaded (the tow rating for my wife's Cobalt & my HHR Panel), but using 3/4" plywood, steel brackets and heavy-duty hardware everywhere (double latches, extra hinges, etc.), made it too heavy. I figured it would be too heavy, as soon as I weighed the frame (after extending it to 96" with tubular steel additions, a 3" square tube tongue, and a central double spine), added larger 14" wheels (with spacers, hubs and bearings to match, converting it from 8"), and double the adhesive that other trailers get. It was 400 lbs at that point, with just the floor and fenders mounted.

I tried a smaller tongue box than I had planned for, on the day I weighed it again, but not only was it 1280 lbs empty (over my goal), but the tongue weight was only 40 lbs (I used a Weight Distributing hitch to compensate, with 150 lbs of gear sitting all the way forward inside the cabin, on my first trip). After that trip, I added an aluminum tonguebox and slider assembly, and stuffed it full of battery, spare parts and extension cords and such, to give more tongue weight, but still carried two 7-gallon Aquatainers & my largest cooler strapped between the doors, just for added tongue weigh... which brought my second trip weight to 1600 lbs.

Within six months othat trip, I reinforced the frame, changed the overworked original frame (probably rated for 1000 lbs) to a 3500 lb, braked axle and 3000 lb springs. I rearranged some items, discarded others, so my weight became about 1660 lbs, like noseoils. Eventually, after many revisions over 9 years, my 4x8 trailer is right at 2225 lbs (loaded). Sturdy as a rock, with great tires, a good suspension (glad I overbuilt it!), it will definitely outlast me.

P.S. I do have to tow it with a bigger vehicle than intended...I use a beefed up Chevy 2500HD (tow capacity over 10k), but also have a beefed up GMC Sierra 1500 (tow capacity 8k), or can use (if needed)my rebuilt '01 BMW X5 3.0i (tow capacity 5000 lbs, but I need the tow module first).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Modern Off-road Trailer Build

Postby Clarar » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:55 am

ukh87 wrote:Interesting build and I love it. Just out of my curiosity, where are you planning to throw a 500Ah battery?

"Fascinating build! Your choice of a 500Ah battery sparks curiosity. Where do you intend to place such a powerhouse? Looking forward to seeing this project unfold!"
Clarar
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aarav » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:42 pm

mhnudi wrote:Hello all. First post here and first time going through the diy teardrop/camper build myself. My wife and I have been wanting to build something to go on longer trips with us and our two dogs, and it finally seemed like a good time to get started. We really liked the general design of the Polydrops trailer, so this build is going to be themed after that.

A few things we want in the finished trailer:

- 500ah LiFePo4 batteries w/rooftop solar
- 12v air conditioning unit
- Hot water for outdoor showers and heated cabin
- 12v refrigerator
- Induction cooktop
- Storage
- Interior and exterior lighting
- Fresh and grey water tank

We’ll be packing a lot in here but we’ll see if it pans out during the build! The first step was to get the trailer built. I started off with some 2x2” tube stock from the local MetalSupermarkets here in Charlotte. Most of the stock is ⅛” wall thickness, and the main 12’ long beam is 3/16” wall. To weld the frame I’m using the Harbor Freight 140 multiprocess welder in MIG mode.

To cut the metal I’m using that harbor freight horizontal bandsaw. This thing isn’t going to win any awards but for $300 it did a nice job with a little bit of setup. Here I’m using the level which had been zeroed against the cutting base of the saw to make sure the cuts were perpendicular.

One of the key items which I got for this welding project was the fireball tool mega square. This thing is amazing to prevent those off planer welds I would get sometimes on past projects, particularly when I didn’t have a flat work surface. I have been eyeing one of these for a long time and glad I finally took the plunge.

Lots of tacking…

Another great Harbor freight purchase is these little 3ton daytona jack stands. $30 a pair and they worked great to elevate the frame while I progressed with welding everything up.

Decided to add some plates to the 3 main joints at the front of the trailer for a little additional strength. This is ¼” steel plate I cut out using cutoff discs and the angle grinder.

Welding on the after chain attachment points

At this point I skipped a few steps and did the rough installation of the timbren suspension.

The base trailer frame was now completed and it was time to add on the front and rear extensions

Just a few planning diagrams for some of the angles on the front of the trailer. This was done using the ipad app shapr3d which is a fully featured CAD program for ipad users.

Rear extension tacked in before welding

And the front extension welded in place. At this point the trailer structure is complete.

After grinding all the top-surface welds, I started with a self-etching metal primer on the frame. Doing one side, then flipping after 24 hours and doing the other.

For the coating, I decided to go with the spray-on Raptor liner. It was easy to apply and seems to be pretty robust.

At this point, the lining was complete and the timbrens were installed and properly torqued to spec. At this point I mounted the cross member support and bolted it in place.

Started on the wiring for the tail and side marker lights. I was particularly proud of this wire routing through the tube.

And here’s just an initial preview of the overall shape and some interior components as I’m working on the build plans. Lots more planning to do, but happy to have a trailer base that’s finished and ready to build from.

Thanks for looking!

- Matt

Wow very Amazing work and dezine.
Aarav
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aarav » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:34 am

chopperwalker wrote:I've been eyeing the Shaper Origin since before it released. What a great use case. Any reason why you didn't just use it on the door opening itself?

The Shaper Origin is an enticing tool, especially for door-related projects. Curious why it wasn't used directly on the door opening itself—it could potentially offer an efficient and precise solution for such tasks.Nrega Job Card List
Aarav
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals