A Cargo-only 6'6"x4'

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

A Cargo-only 6'6"x4'

Postby AdaMage » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:27 pm

Hello all, longtime lurker (back when it was mikenchell.com) but could never convince my partner to go for it. Well now we've 2 kids and never camp light so I'll be turning our old trailertent base into a cargo-only tear before next August. Challenges will include affordable hatch hinges in the UK, and spending as little money as I can get away with!

So. I have a trailertent base, a Conway Contiki DL, approx 6'6" x 4' x 1'6". We've had it a few years after my little 4'x2'8" trailer just wasn't big enough. Paid £45 for it then gutted the beyond-repair tent part and had to spend £50 on new wheels & tyres (cheaper than just new tyres!).

That sufficed for a few years, this year we went camping with our latest people carrier and had to get a roof cargo bag bcause we hadn't had an opportunity to fit a hitch. Well you get what you pay for and long story short we need the trailer sorted by next year.

This is what it will look like when I'll get the sides and 30+ year old plywood out:

The uprights contain simple drop-down stabiliser legs locked by a threaded wingnut, if I can keep those that would save me fitting recycled caravan corner steadies, we'll see.

I started with a couple of basic shape options

3'/900mm high was decided on, although I love the curved nose of the right-hand one it'll be 5 times harder to build and doesn't gain me any significant amount of interior space

Then all the essentials were modelled and fitted

The worktop will be removeable for easier loading-with-cargo and can slide in so the hatch can close with it in place.
The 3-way fridge will be on its own sliding base so it can be pulled out to be opened, but the sliding base needs to be removeable, again so it doesn't interfere with loading/unloading.
Finally there will be a pass-through so our electrics can be inside the box but the cord won't pass through the hatch seal. Precise details to be confirmed later.
AdaMage
Teardrop Inspector

Re: A Cargo-only 6'6"x4'

Postby AdaMage » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:38 pm

Next, onto one of the fun challenges. I have a local source of very cheap very nice plywood, but only in 300x2440x9mm! (1'x8'x3/8" for you in the back) so everything needs to accomodate that:

So everything will be 2 layers, and here comes my first question - will the second (inside) layer contribute significant strength even if I lighten it as shown? Joints will be staggered of course but I calculate I can save 20kg just on the side walls. With a 400kg rating on the trailer that's significant!

Next I have to decide if i want the slightly more difficult to fit polyolefin hinges at £22 or the good old proven snail hinge at £80?
AdaMage
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iggy3860 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:42 am

A construction tip. I used an equivalent to the 'polyolefin hinges'.

When building the two surfaces to be joined, make sure thay are straight & parallel when fitted together.

DO not ask how I know this :(

Ian
Iggy
[Ian McLaren]
iggy3860
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AdaMage » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:48 am

I guess once a split starts in the flexible section it'll go all the way before you know it. Although I'm all about saving money I'm happy to spend it where sensible, not having the hatch leave the trailer is worth the extra £60 i guess!

One question for the start of the build and one for the end: do people prefer titebond II or III for the body glue up? And what size aluminium extrusion (suitably annealed) can I expect to bend around a 600mm/2' radius curve?

Hoping to pick up the wood this weekend, 40 pieces of 1'x8' ply, total £70
AdaMage
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:00 am

Since it's cargo only, did you consider putting hatches at both ends?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AdaMage » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:10 pm

That's a great idea and I'm going to pretend I did think of it first! But there are several technical reasons I chose not to!

Honestly though that's a great idea but this is my first build I want to keep it simple and achievable, 1 hatch will be trouble enough and at £80 for the hinge plus seals it's a significant part of the cost to do that twice.
AdaMage
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:34 pm

AdaMage wrote:That's a great idea and I'm going to pretend I did think of it first! But there are several technical reasons I chose not to!

Honestly though that's a great idea but this is my first build I want to keep it simple and achievable, 1 hatch will be trouble enough and at £80 for the hinge plus seals it's a significant part of the cost to do that twice.

I was just remembering what a pain it was to get stuff out of the front of a pick up truck box with a topper shell on it.

Here's a tip: lay a piece of thin, cheap plywood (I had a couple simple rope handles on the end) on the floor before you put your stuff in. Then when you unload, you can pull out the thin sheet of ply, bringing with it the stuff that was way up in front. Or if it's a container with stuff in it, tie a rope to the container leaving the end within reach by the hatch. Then you can pull the container out with the rope.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Build Journals