Starting the tiny trailer build this week (11/28/22)!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Starting the tiny trailer build this week (11/28/22)!

Postby Happy Fun Ball » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:52 pm

I have been planning this for a few years and reading the boards here to learn from all the brilliant people. I felt like it was complicated enough that I needed to cad it up. I am not a mechanical engineer, but I do have access to Solidworks at my work after hours. The trailer is 5x11.5 feet (floor space) and is 5' tall not counting the pop top. There is room for a queen size bed and some room to stand under the pop top (demanded by my wife). All the kitchen components pull out of the side and will be covered by and OWS 370 awning.

I am started welding the steel trailer yesterday with help from a more talented friend. The body will be light-weighted 3/4" plywood with a skin of 3 mm AGM I am getting from a sign company. I have done a fair bit of woodworking, so I feel pretty good about this part. I would say the design is about 80% finished and about as far as I can take it on paper. I still need to work at the electrical routing, the plumbing, heat,... Though I do have a rough plan for what I want to do.

What do you folks think?

Happy Fun Ball
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Starting the tiny trailer build this week (11/28/22)!

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:23 am

What do you folks think?

I can't view the images.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Happy Fun Ball » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:00 pm

tony.latham wrote:I can't view the images.

Not sure what's up with that. The board keeps deleting all the images in my gallery. Or at least they are not there when I go back and check. Let me try again:

That did not work, how about this:

https://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=5384&image_id=170937

Editing again: Well, now at least it looks like the images are still in the gallery. Don't know what happened last ime. But does the Img tag not work? I used (img)https:\\image.url(\img) but with brackets and you can see the result.

What about this:
Happy Fun Ball
Teardrop Inspector

Postby chopperwalker » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:41 pm

The last 4 are showing for me now.

This looks great. I would like hear about roof lift mechanism design. Assuming that is extra sleeping or just head room?
chopperwalker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Happy Fun Ball » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:54 pm

Just head room. My wife and I talked about teardrops and she said having a place to stand to change clothes was a must and non-negotiable. So tiny trailer it is. There is a 30" wide area where we can stand with a counter and a sink for "grooming".

Since I started welding this week, I wanted to make this thread. I will update with a better drawing showing more detail in the next week or so.
Happy Fun Ball
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:20 pm

That did not work, how about this:

Looks good. I'll be curious to watch your camper come to life.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Build Journals