Southern Fried Fish and Firehouse Coleslaw

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Southern Fried Fish and Firehouse Coleslaw

Postby Gsaunders » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:01 pm

I am from Oklahoma and the 2 main fish we fish for are Crappie and Catfish, I think the last fish fry I had I fried up 40 lbs of catfish fillets, here is my recipe and also a coleslaw I always make to go with them. You can adjust the recipe to the amount of fish you are frying up. This recipe will work on any fish, trout, Talapia, perch, bass (but I have have another recipe I use on them) or about any other fish you have.

4 lbs of fish fillets (I cut these in about 2 inch strips from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick.
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (you can use regular milk of any percentage)
4 cups yellow cornmeal
2 eggs
salt
black pepper
old bay seasoning
12-15 pickled whole japalenos
1/2 teaspon garlic powder
a good quality veggie oil.

Pour buttermilk in medium bowl and add the 2 eggs (for more peppy fish I add hot sauce to the mixture) and beat. While I am doing this I use a large cast iron pot, and start heating my oil (the trick here is have the burner as high as it will go). When the oil get as hot as it is going to get. Then I put all 12-15 japalenos in the oil (a couple of notes here. Slice the japalenos and drain all the vinegar out, or they will pop. Next note, leave this in until the last piece of fish are fried. They will turn black, but that is ok. Do not throw these way, they are excellant fare, trust me.)

The next step is to add all the dry ingredients, Cornmeal, salt pepper, garlic powder. The old bay seasoning is to taste, and go heavy on this usually about 3 tablespoons, you need to add a bit at a time to the mixture, and taste test.

Dip fillets in the buttermilk mixture, then roll in the cornmeal mixture until every place is coated. Drop in hot oil. Deep fried fish is easy to over cook, here is the way I cook them. When the fillets come to the top and float I give them another 3 to 5 minutes and out they come.

*****Do not throw out the unused cornmeal....add chopped green onion, and finely diced celery to the mix, then keep adding eggs to the mixture until you can roll cornmeal in a ball the size of a quarter and deep fry.....instant hush puppies.

Fire House Coleslaw
1 medium green cabbage
You favorite hot sauce
4 pickled japalenos
1/4 cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons vinegar from the pickled japalenos (may need more or less this is to taste)
yellow mustard

Chop cabbage (I have also used the chopped cabbage in the bag) I like mine a little large
Chop japalenos very fine and add to cabbage. Then add the vinegar and sugar. The mustard I just add to taste, as with the hot sauce.

Enjoy
Gsaunders
Teardrop Inspector

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2