1957 Cardinal "Canned Ham" project

Canned Hams of all types and sizes...and Bread Boxes to go with that ham......

1957 Cardinal "Canned Ham" project

Postby Robbie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:08 pm

My wife and I picked up this gem the other night. It is a 1957 Cardinal. We bought it from a retired gentleman who's hobby is restoring old cars, trucks, boats, trailers, etc. He said his wife and him got burned out on this one with all the projects he has going on. But the exterior is 90% done. I just need to find new roof edge trim and mount the bumper. The PO has added a bunch of metal tube bracing to the roof as well as glued/caulked most of the framing to the skin. He has replaced any damaged or rotted wood also.

But for the interior we are changing the layout slightly and are going to keep the main sink cabinet. Relocated the icebox next to the sink cabinet as opposed to being in the closet across the trailer. The closet is being eliminated as well as the stove/oven. We will replace all of the electrical with new recessed lighting, stereo, water pump and components, porch light, reading lights, etc. The interior will have benches that wrap around the front and rear of the trailer with tables to create the beds.

I am going to start the insulating and rewiring this week and my goal is to have it skinned and at least campable by Memorial Day.

My aluminum benroy build:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Re: 1957 Cardinal "Canned Ham" project

Postby TheOtherSean » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Very nice indeed! That's one sweet looking little trailer.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Great project, looks like the PO did nice work.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Tue May 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks everyone. We are moving along with the interior build out and are still hoping to have the interior 90% done by memorial weekend. I have the walls all insulated with 1.5" of polystyrene foam board and all new 12V electrical is 14 gauge with some 16 gauge. The skins are all 3mm Luaun ply which will get primed and painted once finished. I am insulating the ceiling with 1" polystyrene foam board. I still need to finish the insulation as you can see but I should have it completely skinned by Thursday this week! Then on to the trim work and painting. Once painting is done we'll focus on buttoning up the electrical, installing the laminate flooring, and countertop/sink/water system. I also got a new Formco icebox.

My aluminum benroy build:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Return to Canned Hams & Bread Loaves