Hot shower in a shower tent. DIY Ensuite plumbing.

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Hot shower in a shower tent. DIY Ensuite plumbing.

Postby dbhosttexas » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:24 pm

I figured I would share this bit of info with you folks.

I have swapped out my Cabelas Deluxe non instant setup shower shelter, for a Joolca Double Ensuite instant shower shelter.

While I would love a Joolca HOTTAP V2, there are a good number of reasons I am staying with the Zodi for now. Budget is the obvious first reason, but space is a very close second. The HOTTAP is much larger than the Zodi, and requires a bulk tank propane fuel source, where the Zodi runs on 1lb bottles. Now 1lb bottles have their problems, but they ARE space efficient compared to say a 20lb barbecue tank.

The Joolca allows for integrating, well they intended their own plumbing setup, that I found entirely compelling as it could be left in the tent intact on pack up, I wanted it BADLY, but again, didn't want to deal with the HOTTAP yet, so I did a DIY approach and thought I would share with you what I did...

I have modded it further since this video, but here is the setup.

#1. Zodi Instant Hot Water propane water heater.
#2. 20' of 3/8 silicone hose.
#3. 2 @ 3/8" quick disconnects for pressure washers.
#4. Hose clamsp to fit.
#5. 3/8" NPT to 3/8" barb fittings.
#6. 3/8 barb to 1/2" F NPT.
#7 4 @ 1/2" shower hose gaskets.
#8. Ivation battery shower.
#9. Coaxial cable sealant tape.

The ivation provides an improved pump, and MUCH better shower head.

Cut the 20' hose into 10', and 2 5' segments.
Attach 3/8" barb x 1/2" F NPT fitting to one end with a hose clamp, wrap with coaxial cable sealant tape.
Attach 3/8" barb x 3/8" NPT M fitting to opposite end with hose clamp. Wrap clamp with coaxial cable sealant tape. The idea with the tape is to protect the tent fabric from the hose clamp.
Using pipe thread sealant of your choice, attach female side of quick disconnect , tighten.
Insert 2 shower hose washers into 1/2" NPT F fitting ends, secure them flush, and install Ivation shower head.
Route all plumbing from pass through at bottom of tent on back side, all the way up, leaving a droop, we want to be able to pop the shower head loose and use it as a handheld.

Repeat process with hoses, and fittings to get the M quick disconnects on the output sides of the pump, and the Zodi heater, and the other F side of the quick disconnect to the input side of the Zodi heater. Use the silicone hose from output of zodi, and output of pump, input of Zodi just keep the OE hose... For now.

Anyway, here is the video of the modded Joolca Ensuite Double with the plumbing and using the Zodi pump and shower head. The Ivation should be a massive upgrade.

https://youtu.be/8Hb0GqLVMsc

So if you have a Zodi, or similar heater, or even unheated and just want to leave the plumbing in the tent and pump out of a bucket, this is a good workaround for the ensuite plumbing kit.

I should mention that after our experience through the Feb 2021 power outage / deep freeze and running out of propane, I found heating water on the Coleman Gasoline stove was perfectly suitable, and keeps me from having to deal with multiple fuel sources.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: Hot shower in a shower tent. DIY Ensuite plumbing.

Postby R+C SqDrop » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:04 pm

R+C SqDrop
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets