Switch or not to switch? Water pump

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Switch or not to switch? Water pump

Postby TearDropDrippin » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:49 pm

Hi all, I’m getting ready to install a seaflo water pump. Do I need to instal an in line power switch? Or should I not be concerned about power draw on my solar system.
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Switch or not to switch? Water pump

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:03 pm

Is it an on demand type system? If so, I’d still recommend a switch so it can be powered off during travel. The logic being if a joint comes loose th3 pressure drop turns the pump on, and drains the tank. Yo7 arrive at camp with no water.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby TearDropDrippin » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:57 pm

It is on Demand. Small 6 gallon tanks that I do not plan on traveling with full but good point if supply line was to come off the pump would activate and that would not be good. I guess no real downside to addin the switch. It’s easy enough. Thanks for the input.
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mtbikernate » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:39 am

yep, I think it's a good idea to put a switch on any permanently mounted accessories. esp if they don't have a switch of their own.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby ChrisD » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:27 pm

I would add a switch in case you have a leak. You wouldn’t want it to run to empty or flood anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nrhmaine » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:33 pm

Plus, you’ll need a switch to keep it from running constantly when the tank is empty.

If I go with a pressure system, I’ll install a pilot (lighted when on) rocker switch just behind the faucet to remind folks to turn it off. On boats, often the rule is to keep the pressure water switched off, except when using it, because a failure puts the contents of your water tank at risk.

With that said, I’m wondering with my simple water system (one small sink) whether a pressure-demand system is overkill. Maybe a simple switched pump setup makes sense. Or a hand pump (I prefer a foot pump, but that’s hard to integrate into a teardrop galley that is 16” off the ground.)

With the manually switched elec pump, the pump is only run when needed, with no danger of leaving it on. A momentary knee switch is intriguing, but I haven’t figured out details.

I guess I’m just thinking through the options out loud. My priorities are simple installation, and hands-free operation.

Would love to hear other’s thoughts.

(For your entertainment, here’s the under-deck 11gal tank I installed yesterday. Fill and vent to port. Outlet out of view on the far right side.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:14 pm

Yes, it must have a switch
1) If you run out of water it will continue to run
2) if you get a small leak it will continue to run
3) sometimes in the middle of the night it will decide to run and wake you up
4) if it runs with no water for too long it will destroy the pump
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:51 pm

Put a switch in. It is cheap insurance just in case a line comes loose.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets