Options for mounting a propane tank on a V-nose cargo traile

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Options for mounting a propane tank on a V-nose cargo traile

Postby kmack67.km » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi,

I am about to install a 20 lb propane tank on my 7x14 V-nose CT and realized there really isn't much room on the tongue. It will fit but only just and the extra 20 lbs will more or less add directly to the tongue load. I hadn't considered mounting it anywhere else but now I'm thinking about it. What other options have any of you considered and is mounting somewhere other than on the tongue any less safe?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Options for mounting a propane tank on a V-nose cargo tr

Postby plumberstx247 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:51 am

Hello Kevin,

I'm glad you reached out for advice on where to mount your propane tank. As an expert in RV and trailer safety, I can assure you that mounting the tank on the tongue is the most common and safest option. The tongue is designed to bear weight and is the most stable area for the propane tank. However, I understand that space on the tongue is limited, and you may want to explore other options.

One alternative option is to mount the propane tank on the back bumper of your trailer. However, this comes with its own set of challenges. Mounting the tank at the back of the trailer will shift the weight towards the back, which can cause handling problems and sway while driving. This can be particularly dangerous if you are driving in windy conditions or going downhill. Additionally, you will need to ensure that the bumper can support the additional weight and that the tank is securely fastened to prevent any movement while driving.

I remember a time when I was on a cross-country road trip with my family, and we encountered a sudden snowstorm. The storm caused us to stop for the night and set up camp in our RV. As we were getting ready to settle in for the night, we realized that our propane tank was almost empty, and we didn't have a spare. We were worried about how we would stay warm in the freezing temperatures without heat. Luckily, we found a gas station that had a propane refill station nearby and were able to fill up the tank before settling in for the night. This experience taught me the importance of always being prepared and having a backup plan while traveling in an RV.

I hope my advice helps you make the best decision for your propane tank placement. Remember, safety should always be your top priority while on the road. Have a great day!
plumberstx247
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets