Heating using the hot water tank.

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Heating using the hot water tank.

Postby rjgimp » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:44 am

Holy hot water, Batman!!!! I just stumbled across this bastion of brilliance this evening. Several years late to the party yet again, but great information nonetheless. I could only make it through page ten before the sandman got to me at 1:30 in the morning... Adding it to my 'must read' list. For now, bedtime!
:twisted:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby PrivatePilot » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:37 am

Hey all - got directed to this thread from another post...this is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing for a few weeks now. Awesome - glad to see others have actually done it.

There's a local liquidation place where I can get one of these brand new for $120.

Copper and aluminum with the fan built in and ready to go.

I'm pretty sure I have a PWM kicking around somewhere in my garage from a previous project and pumps are easy to find.

My camper actually has the vents roughed in for the furnace that was never optioned by the original owner and the hot water tank and electrical are super easily accessible. It might not be super pretty but I can certainly rig up some sort of ducting that will hookup to the roughed in venting so it would be super clean aside from everything hidden in the existing cabinetry.

Is there a more recent post with updated "I found this works best" information (on pump GPM, etc) that someone can point me to versus going back through a million posts trying to find the needle in the haystack? ;)

Count me in on someone who will be setting one of these up in the coming weeks!
PrivatePilot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:27 am

The pump that seems to be most popular for the recirculating the hot water is this one.
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A006 ... L55G&psc=1
Its very quiet, uses little power. The flow rate seems to be adequate for those that have tried it.

FWIW I tried this pump with my Triton instant hot water heater, and the flow rate and pressure aren't adequate to get the water heater to kick on. Not really a surprise, but I tested it.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets