Diesel heater

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Diesel heater

Postby Wellcraft290 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm

So seen a few questions on heaters and thought I would show this.

I am planning on building a camper and got this to use in the camper but also figured meanwhile could keep the garage warm during the winter months.
Please subscibe. I will be posting more and more videos as I build and always love the help and advice. thanks all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT8YeL8JQxY
Wellcraft290
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Diesel heater

Postby retep » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks for posting the link. I have been considering a diesel heater as well. Just a quick question, what is the noise that I hear in the video?

Thanks
Peter

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 pm

Two possibles. One is the sound of the diesel heater running as you are hearing the muffled exhaust. The other is the sound of the fan.

When installed, the exhaust is outside. So that sound is present outside. And depending on your level of insulation, you may or may not hear that sound.

The fan is always on while the heater is heating. Assuming a thermostat, the heater will turn off as will the fan. No idea if the fan has a variable speed control.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:23 pm

A 5kw Chinese Diesel Heater like mine has an initial start up cycle that lasts about 3 minutes, during which time the glow plug is energized drawing about 12 amp hours.

After the glow plug deenergizes, the thermostat will control the temperature by simultaneously regulating the fuel pump Hz rate and the fan rpm rate. During normal running times, the unit draws about 1 to 2 amp hours, depending on how high the heat is set.

When the unit is turned off, the unit goes through a mandatory shut down cycle, where the glow plug energizes again for about 1 minute to burn off any soot in the combustion chamber and the fan runs on high for about 5 minutes to cool down the unit.

Consequently, to control the temperature, I and most people of whom I am aware, do not program the unit to cycle on and off; rather, after the interior space reaches the desired temperature, the unit is programmed to merely idle on low. If that low setting is too hot, windows are opened to control the temperature.

Otherwise, too many amps are wasted by repeated startup and shutdown cycling.

Respecting fuel usage, in a 10 hour period, the unit on low and high will use about 1 quart and 1 gallon of fuel, respectively. However, if I were to run my unit on high, it would fry me out of the trailer. In 30 degree weather, with a cold trailer, my unit will run on high for less than 30 minutes to heat the trailer up to about 70 degrees F, then it throttles back to low for the rest of the night.

Of course, fuel and amp usage will vary depending on outside temperatures, size of trailer and amount of insulation.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wellcraft290 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:11 pm

the fan is very faint. the clicking is the fuel pump. That you would mount outside and isn't as loud in person as the video makes it sound. Think it was echoing in the garage
Wellcraft290
Teardrop Advisor

Postby retep » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Thank you for that comment. I was wondering if it was because it was in a garage and on a tin box (filling cabinet) that pronounced the sound . Given that I drive a diesel truck I still am leaning towards the diesel heater. If I had that clicking sound all night I already know the Mrs. would be waking me up with every thump sound. Looking forward to a good warm night's sleep.

Counting sheep already
Petr

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:27 pm

I installed my diesel heater pump in a little box and suspended the ends of the pump inside the box using some mini bungy cords. Now the clicking of the pump is almost undetectable.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wellcraft290 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:22 am

Also heard what angle you put the pump at can change the sound etc. Definately wouldn't want it inside but if you mount outside securely and not to something that echos etc sure would be fine.
plus for the price. I paid 105 for it including shipping on ebay. couldn't be happier honestly and will post more videos as I build the camper.

Also depending on your space that is the 5kw heater. probably 2kw would be more then fine in a small space.
Wellcraft290
Teardrop Advisor

Postby retep » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the heater. I will likely go this route. Hard to argue the price. Can't wait to see the progress of your build.

Cheers
Peter
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby Wellcraft290 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:25 am

I agree with the price. got a 5 dollar coupon from ebay so was 105 delivered. and the unit had a crack in the plastic so the seller refunded my whole amount and told me to keep it. guess cheaper for him then paying for shipping three time to exchange. anyways I fixed the plastic with a soldiering gun and works great.
Wellcraft290
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wellcraft290 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm

had a few questions of the temp around the heater. I did a test with temp guage to show. sorry for the poor light but wanted to make sure tempature was showing

https://youtu.be/QrCaNvjeP6I
Wellcraft290
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:42 pm

When I was dithering over one of these or a Propex, I followed a group on Facebook called "Chinese Diesel vehicle air heaters - Troubleshooting & Parts sales."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146837062640024/

I'm sure they can help answer some questions over there.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets