Pump hose connectors look wimpy

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Pump hose connectors look wimpy

Postby DoctahDeane » Tue May 26, 2020 9:33 am

Hello Experts - The unfinished trailer (almost done) that I bought came with a box o' parts. I'm on to the plumbing now. Will be very simple. Basically, pump to a sink with a grey water tank for the drain. Anyway, the pump works fine - I tested it last night and today went to the hardware store to get tubing and the guy in the store said "Geez, they don't give you much to work with, do they?" He's right, the potential for the hose to pop off is high. See photo, just a little nub, really (the red things are simply covers). Any suggestions? I could get an entirely different pump if that makes sense but this one seems to function fine. Seems like there must be an adaptor or some way of making the connection that is not obvious to this newbie.

I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Re: Pump hose connectors look wimpy

Postby tony.latham » Tue May 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Seems like...

I assume those are pipe threads. You could probably buy a hose barb fitting that would screw on to them.

:thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Tue May 26, 2020 12:58 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Seems like...

I assume those are pipe threads. You could probably buy a hose barb fitting that would screw on to them.

T

Thanks Tony. Good thought.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby twisted lines » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Try this
MDCF75FHT - Easy Fit Compression Fitting System - 3/4 in. Female Hose Thread Adapter
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed May 27, 2020 6:21 am

twisted lines wrote:Try this
MDCF75FHT - Easy Fit Compression Fitting System - 3/4 in. Female Hose Thread Adapter

Thanks a lot. That's the right idea, for sure. The connectors on the pump are smaller than 3/4, I think they are 3/8 so now searching for a female 3/8 to 3/8 inch barbed connector. I'm in the ballpark now :)
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 27, 2020 9:10 am

Try this

Twisted:

I'm assuming the pump must have pipe thread, not hose thread. Or do RV pumps use hose thread? Assumptions have bitten me before.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 am

tony.latham wrote:
Try this

Twisted:

I'm assuming the pump must have pipe thread, not hose thread. Or do RV pumps use hose thread? Assumptions have bitten me before.

Tony

Frustrating. I just went to hardware store (a zoo in itself, at this point) and my friend who works there said, "oh yeah, this is the second one of these I've seen in the last two weeks. The threads are proprietary, so 1/2' is too big, and 3/8" just won't grab - almost, but won't do it. Why do companies do this? Not like there's an enormous market out there. Meanwhile the nipple for the intake/outake hoses needs a barb extension. Dumb. I'll poke around on line but considering this was an inherited pump (it's new) that probably cost about $30, I'm inclined to go with an entirely new pump.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby MtnDon » Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 am

I would buy a new pump with standard 1/2" pipe threads like everything else sold for the purpose by a regular US/Canada dealer would sell.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 am

MtnDon wrote:I would buy a new pump with standard 1/2" pipe threads like everything else sold for the purpose by a regular US/Canada dealer would sell.

That's basically what I just did. The new one has 1/2" as well as high ratings - $61

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the comment and suggestion. Seems like everything these days takes 4 times longer than it should!
Last edited by DoctahDeane on Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby twisted lines » Wed May 27, 2020 3:46 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Try this

Twisted:

Tony

looking at the picture I don't see a taper; not pipe.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:58 am

if i read the OP correctly this system is not a pressurized one

therefore having brass fittings wouldn't be necessary

suction on the tank side of the pump and a bit of lift to the faucet on the other side

no real pressure just flow

iffin 'twer me i'd just use it the way it came

or play with it to see how it works w/ a bucket of water and a 12v battery prior to mounting

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu May 28, 2020 10:39 am

swoody126 wrote:if i read the OP correctly this system is not a pressurized one

therefore having brass fittings wouldn't be necessary

suction on the tank side of the pump and a bit of lift to the faucet on the other side

no real pressure just flow

iffin 'twer me i'd just use it the way it came

or play with it to see how it works w/ a bucket of water and a 12v battery prior to mounting

sw

Thanks for weighing in but the original point was that using it the way it came is difficult, given the proprietary threads and short nub for hose attachment. Anyway, I went with a new pump that uses more standard 1/2" fittings with clamps so that should be OK, I think.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby swoody126 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:07 am

DD, glad you've found a solution you are comfortable with

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri May 29, 2020 7:32 pm

swoody126 wrote:DD, glad you've found a solution you are comfortable with

sw

Thanks a lot, Woody
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby jcostanz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Looking at the data on the sticker I wouldn't be surprised that the thread is a metric pipe thread due to flow in liters and pressure in mpa. The pressure setting is aprox 130 psi
jcostanz
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets