Water tank clean out?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Water tank clean out?

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:59 am

Hi folks - I have a basic rotomold water tank under my trailer. It will not be used for for drinking water, just cold water to the sink for dishes. It's like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGK5SPK/re ... bFb42ZC7QH

Still, seems like it should be cleaned out between trips. What's the best way to do this? I can add a valve to one of the spouts but gravity alone won't empty the tank. Any suggestions?
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Re: Water tank clean out?

Postby Ottsville » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:12 am

I would put a low point drain right in the tank. And if are worried about that last little bit of water, I'd just block one wheel to get the water to flow in the right direction. Since you're not using it for drinking though, I would just keep it full and add a few drops of bleach per quart of water during the season.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:34 pm

We use ours for drinking water and sanatize using chlorene 1/2 cup with water for 24 hrs and 1/2 cup of baking soda for a half hour and flush. ALL water going into the tanks is filtered.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:40 pm

Sterilizing your tank after every trip is probably over kill. What I do after each run is drain my tank and let it dry. Before the next run I’ll fill it with treated water and at the start of the next season I’ll sanitize it.
If you are using untreated well water you should consider adding a bit of bleach to the water so it doesn’t grow stuff during the trip. If you can’t drain the water then consider filling it up with a water and a bit of bleach. Here is the CDC guideline for bleach and water. https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emerge ... safe-H.pdf
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:13 am

Great advice everyone, thanks a lot. I'm not drinking this water but still, ought to be careful. The combination of chocking the wheel, a new spigot just ordered and a few drops of bleach ought to do the trick. I hope everyone is doing OK with all the craziness.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:32 am

over the years and back to the 1970's our family hasn't(that i can remember) "sterilized" a fresh water holding tank in our RV's

each year in the spring(just before the spring break trip) we simply fill n drain them 3x then top them off for the season's trips

at the end of the season(after the Thanksgiving trip) when we get in we simply drain the tank and fill all lines and water heater w/ the pink stuff for the winter

w/ the portable blue water jugs carried in the pick up get emptied for the winter and rinsed 3x in the spring to start the season w/ fresh "city water"

our city water must have enuff chemicals added to it to do the trick 'cause none of us have ever had any water related intestinal issues while tripping

if your main home water source is a well you should refer to CDC recomendations for treating raw water

over the last 12-15± years we'd park our RV's at the gulf coast for several months at a time when the water we took from home sat in the tank all summer while we were hooked up to RV park water w/o any issues

our RV's had spigots on the outside for hand washing and filling large cooking pots that were hooked to the "low point" drain so draining the tanks in the fall was the simple act of opening the spigot until it quit running

water tanks is water tanks is water tanks

as long as they aren't translucent and placed in sunlight there shouldn't be any reason for concern about funk growing in them

rinse 3x in the spring

fill and play

drain n the fall

run pink stuff in the pump n lines for the winter

now there... isn't that easy ;-)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:54 am

DoctahDeane wrote:Great advice everyone, thanks a lot. I'm not drinking this water but still, ought to be careful. The combination of chocking the wheel, a new spigot just ordered and a few drops of bleach ought to do the trick. I hope everyone is doing OK with all the craziness.

I don't plan on drinking mine, but I do want it safe in case of an emergency.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:58 am

:thumbsup:
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby rjgimp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:30 pm

DoctahDeane wrote:Great advice everyone, thanks a lot. I'm not drinking this water but still, ought to be careful.

I realize I'm a bit late to the party here but I am usually willing to throw two more pennies onto a pile! :R

Though you may not be drinking it, you are putting it in contact with your dishes which you then put food on to eat. Unless you have been bringing the water to a rolling boil before washing the dishes and then letting them air dry, whatever bacteria might be in the water is getting into your intestinal tract, although likely not in the same quantity as drinking. If there has not been an issue thus far, I think you may be looking for a solution in need of a problem.
:beer:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:27 pm

I had to replace the spin welded water outlet on our water tank, and to do that installed a marine deck plate, it also makes it easy to do a physical scrub.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:00 am

Thanks for weighing in folks. Really appreciate it. Frustrating to have my trailer sitting in the garage, waiting for the virus to calm down but meanwhile, planning some fun trips.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets