Propane hose question.

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane hose question.

Postby 30dayreviews » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:24 am

Hello all.
Im looking at having a small tank outside of my trailer and due to the planned set up I need the hose to go through the wall or floor up or over into the gally area. wondering what options there are to do this safely and waterproof? thanks for any suggestions
with a great mustache comes great responsibility
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Re: Propane hose question.

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 pm

Run copper tubing through the floor. Use flare fittings to connect on the outside to the hose and on whatever is needed inside. Best to use a rubber grommet at the floor penetration. Use flare fittings, not compression fittings. You may need to buy a tool but flare fittings are what is needed. Seal the floor hole with sealant.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:13 pm

When I was at this phase, I called my friend up and told him what I was up to. He's been a propane installer for over thirty years. My Plan A was black pipe.

Part of my problem was that my stove needed a high-pressure regulator and the heater needed a normal 11" WC regulator.

He gave it a look and scratched his head for a few days and suggested rubber propane line for the heater but automotive steel reinforced rubber hose for the high-pressure side. He was concerned with leakage of the numerous fittings I would need if I went with the pipe.

Here's how it looks:

The fact that the lines are rubber made for an easy run without additional fittings (that could leak). Both lines go up through the floor and are sealed off with Lexel sealant. I measured what I needed and he cut the hose and crimped the fittings on. Any propane business can do this.

I'd do it again this way if need be. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby 30dayreviews » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:58 am

tony.latham wrote: suggested rubber propane line for the heater Tony

I wonder if there is a way I could do it with just a black pipe since it would only be for the stovetop. I will be going with diesel for my trailer I think at least as of right now that's the plan.
with a great mustache comes great responsibility
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby Squigie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am

tony.latham wrote:When I was at this phase, I called my friend up and told him what I was up to. He's been a propane installer for over thirty years. My Plan A was black pipe.

Part of my problem was that my stove needed a high-pressure regulator and the heater needed a normal 11" WC regulator.

He gave it a look and scratched his head for a few days and suggested rubber propane line for the heater but automotive steel reinforced rubber hose for the high-pressure side. He was concerned with leakage of the numerous fittings I would need if I went with the pipe.

Here's how it looks:

The fact that the lines are rubber made for an easy run without additional fittings (that could leak). Both lines go up through the floor and are sealed off with Lexel sealant. I measured what I needed and he cut the hose and crimped the fittings on. Any propane business can do this.

I'd do it again this way if need be. :thumbsup:

Tony

This^^

I broached the same subject with my brother, a commercial plumber, last year (for a stove and heater that are both 11" water column). I got a similar answer.
I asked him what he thought would be best, copper pipe, annealed copper tubing, steel pipe, braided hose, etc.

He replied very quickly: "I wouldn't use any of them. Just run rubber hose. It's easier, won't shake the joints loose, and will handle vibration better. And you can probably get the right lengths off the shelf."

I plan to seal with a grommet and whatever compatible waterproofing goo I have available at the time.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby eLink » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:51 pm

tony.latham wrote:When I was at this phase, I called my friend up and told him what I was up to. He's been a propane installer for over thirty years. My Plan A was black pipe.

Tony,
Any reason why the regulators are up front, with parallel lines running to the back, rather than a single line to the back with regulators near the appliances?
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 am

eLink wrote:

Tony,
Any reason why the regulators are up front, with parallel lines running to the back, rather than a single line to the back with regulators near the appliances?

So you are not running high pressure (tank pressure) propane so far. Without check valves the propane in the hose will have to be vented every time the tank is changed/filled. The reason RV appliances run at such low pressure (11" W.C.) is so that any leakage will be slow and the hose/pipe will be under very low pressure.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby eLink » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:49 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:So you are not running high pressure (tank pressure) propane so far. Without check valves the propane in the hose will have to be vented every time the tank is changed/filled. The reason RV appliances run at such low pressure (11" W.C.) is so that any leakage will be slow and the hose/pipe will be under very low pressure.

Got it. Thanks! :thumbsup:
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Yep. Safety. In the event of a leak, I don't want a mass of propane spewing about. :oops:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets