Converting a propane stove to butane

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Converting a propane stove to butane

Postby Ottsville » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:16 am

I'm confused by what you are calling "cylinder pressure" stoves? That coleman connector you show is a regulator. That said there are low pressure(11" WC or about .6 PSI) and high pressure (10 - 15 PSI) stoves. Your coleman may be a high pressure regulator. I don't know any that run at "cylinder pressure" which is greater than 100 PSI.

Edit:
I'm guessing that the pressure of the butane tank being so much lower than a propane cylinder makes the regulator not put out the pressure needed.

Maybe check on Expedition portal?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby MickinOz » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:57 pm

Ottsville wrote:I'm confused by what you are calling "cylinder pressure" stoves? That coleman connector you show is a regulator. That said there are low pressure(11" WC or about .6 PSI) and high pressure (10 - 15 PSI) stoves. Your coleman may be a high pressure regulator. I don't know any that run at "cylinder pressure" which is greater than 100 PSI.

Edit:
I'm guessing that the pressure of the butane tank being so much lower than a propane cylinder makes the regulator not put out the pressure needed.

Maybe check on Expedition portal?

Try not thinking in terms of Coleman stoves. They are available here but they aren't so common, and the 1lb bottles are quite expensive. For reasons previously explained re-filling them isn't so easy.

Having said that, I wanted to avoid carrying a full size propane bottle. So I converted the hose on my stove so it would screw onto a 1lb Coleman type bottle. This arrangement is light, compact, and not subject to licensing and inspection.

The thing received in the mail yesterday is an adaptor that converts the outlet of a standard butane canister to a Coleman/BOM/1" UNEF thread so I could screw a butane canister onto the same hose.
(It cost about the same as a single 1lb bottle of gas, so I figured it was worth a shot in the name of furthering the knowledge.
It is not a regulator, unless they have misled me.
It will screw into a Coleman type regulator if required. However it is not, as far as the advertising goes at least, a regulator itself.

Here in Oz, Coleman is definitely the outlier in terms of connectivity and pressures.

So leaving out butane stoves and Coleman stoves for the moment, propane/lpg stoves broadly speaking come in two types here:

There are stoves designed to operate with a hose, but no regulator, and are designed to run at "cylinder pressure" or "high pressure". Cylinder pressure of LPG is 172 psi at 100F.
There are plenty of those stoves around though they are falling out of favour somewhat.

My stove is one of these. I think the jets on these are very small.
So far all I have found is that the cylinder pressure of a butane gas cartridge, about 47 psi at 100F, is not sufficient to achieve full flow through the teensy jets in a "cylinder pressure" stove.

The other common variety of stove is the ones designed to use a regulator. Most regulators here are 0.4 PSI on the outlet.
The adapter I have would be no use for connecting to one of these.

That leaves Coleman stoves with their odd-ball connections and design pressures.
I don't have one of these. When I do come across one, I'll try the butane canister on it. The butane inlet pressure may or may not be enough to work the regulator properly.
But that is what the research is about. Propane has been done in detail here - but I want to find out what is possible in terms of butane.

Hope this clears up the confusion. :)

Edit: I'm sure there would be someone more familiar with Coleman stoves than me who can advise which stove/regulator combinations work on low pressure 0.6 psi?
I believe there are regulator model numbers that tell the story, but I can't quite figure it out.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:38 am

Unfortunately I do not know the camping gear market down under as it were, I kind of have to go with what my local costs are... where I am, Butane canisters are per BTU at least twice the cost of a 16.4oz propane cylinder. And at that 16.4oz propane cylinders are at LEAST 4x more expensive to run than say Regular Unleaded auto gas. I believe you would call it Petrol.

I KNOW liquid fuel / dual fuel Coleman stoves cost more to purchase, and they ARE a little bit tougher to get lit as you have to pump, and pre heat the generator, but if you are using 1lb green bottles, they are FAR cheaper to use.

IF you are willing to use an adapter hose, the least expensive way to fuel up, but also least convent is bulk propane tanks as propane per gallon is slightly less expensive than gasoline, at least locally, but there is the cost of the appliances, plus any distribution hoses and adapters.

Assuming Australia uses POL connectors, you could get a distribution tree, 2 hoses and you can hook up the stove, a lantern, and maybe a hot water heater, or tent heater and be nice and comfy off of 1 standard 5 gallon, or 20lb, and I believe 20L in metric, BBQ tank, and I only say BBQ because they are commonly called that. REAL BBQ involves indrect heat, wood fire, and long cook times. (I've done competition BBQ here in Texas, I have some experience in this area...) At least here in Texas they should call those Grill tanks...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets