Best places for Propane refills

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Best places for Propane refills

Postby lfhoward » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:07 pm

I used to swap my grill cylinders at the big box store for about $20 each, but now I get them refilled for closer to $12-13 from empty. Refilling is so much more economical!

Now I’m adding a VW Westfalia 3 gallon tank under my trailer, and a Propex heater. I can also use the tank to run my Coleman stove. I plan to get the tank topped off at the same place I get my grill cylinders filled— the local U-Haul dealer.

What are some other good places to fill up propane tanks while on the road? Here are some ideas that I’ve read about, although I’m sure some options are more economical than others.

U-Haul
Tractor Supply Company
Amerigas / Propane dealers
Camping World

What other chains should be added to the list that typically can fill propane cylinders on RV’s?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Best places for Propane refills

Postby saltydawg » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:56 pm

My local tractor supply used to be my go to place, it was less than a buck fifty a gallon, now they are close to 3. My local tool rental place is 1.19 a gallon, only issues is they only have a few guys there that do tanks, and are not open on saturday.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby NevadaBlue » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:24 pm

I bought a 500 gallon tank with a dispenser hose and a scale. I do my own. The propane company keeps the big tank full and I put it where I want, when I want.
While on the road about all you can do is watch for the sign for ‘refills’. It can be mom and pop or chain company.
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:42 pm

Around here, many of the rental shops have propane for sale. I assume they need propane for some of their vehicles/equipment.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:04 am

any place that still 'fills' them = being cheaper than doing the 'propane tank exchange' $$$"deal"$$$'s out there - never!! I like my 'own' tanks just too much to be giving them up!!!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:01 am

It's a great question and I've found it to be tougher & tougher to find re-fill spots on the road. Even Tractor Supply has stopped re-fills at some of their stores.. jeeze..

I do find the Feed & Grain stores are a good source and now I'm checking welding (gas) suppliers.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ottsville » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:12 am

Campgrounds
Welding supply shops
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:35 am

I haven't stayed at a KOA for a long time, but I do fill my propane there :)
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:08 am

the above mentioned are a good beginning

in defense of the big box store swap scam i might mention most of them will take in a tank that is out of inspection date a/o has an old style valve and never blink 2x(the attendants don't know what they are doing/looking at)

this makes buying used tanks at flea mkts n garage sales for $5± really advantageous

virtually all rural communities will have a Farmer's CO-OP doing refills as well as a rural propane delivery service

lotsa agricutural equipment runs on the stuff

don't forget to keep tabs on your inspection date and stay ahead of it since not all refill stations can or will do the inspection which usually costs me $10/ea tank

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:24 pm

swoody126 wrote:in defense of the big box store swap scam i might mention most of them will take in a tank that is out of inspection date a/o has an old style valve and never blink 2x(the attendants don't know what they are doing/looking at)

this makes buying used tanks at flea mkts n garage sales for $5± really advantageous

sw

This is the very reason I have a total of... hmmm lets see... about $0 invested in my rack of 7 tanks in my garage. Scavenged them all from who knows where over the years and swapped them out for $19 at Walmart for the prettiest looking one in the rack with the newest date on it. The pimply kid who got the keys from the manager couldn't care less how long I take to pick one out because he gets paid by the hour and if the manager yells at him he gets to blame it on me, the customer, being a demanding whiny jerk. They never recognize me when I do it again six months or two years later. Everybody wins! When I need one of my newly acquired empties filled I take it along the next time I'm off for a drive in the country and get it done at the feed mill for $10.
:twisted:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:39 pm

By calling around I was able to find some good places for propane in addition to the U-Haul dealer. A local Ace Hardware store has propane for a better price, and much better customer service. Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

Nobody wants to purge the tank, though. I have an air pump I could use to evacuate the tank, or at least 95% of the air in there. (I replaced the valves and it was open to the atmosphere.) That would mostly do the trick. I don’t want to have to drive 90 minutes just to get it purged.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NevadaBlue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:54 pm

rjgimp wrote:
swoody126 wrote:in defense of the big box store swap scam i might mention most of them will take in a tank that is out of inspection date a/o has an old style valve and never blink 2x(the attendants don't know what they are doing/looking at)

sw

This is the very reason I have a total of... hmmm lets see... about $0 invested in my rack of 7 tanks in my garage. Scavenged them all from who knows where over the years and swapped them out for $19 at Walmart for the prettiest looking one in the rack with the newest date on it. The pimply kid who got the keys from the manager couldn't care less how long I take to pick one out because he gets paid by the hour and if the manager yells at him he gets to blame it on me, the customer, being a demanding whiny jerk. They never recognize me when I do it again six months or two years later. Everybody wins! When I need one of my newly acquired empties filled I take it along the next time I'm off for a drive in the country and get it done at the feed mill for $10.
:twisted:

When I had my 500 gallon tank set and connected, I had a talk with the propane guy. He recommended Amerigas or the local ‘gas rack’ to swap the old tanks I have. I like honesty. They (my supplier) would recertify my tanks and put in OPD valves, but why? He was honest with me and told me how to do it for free. It is the policy of Amerigas and the ‘gas rack’ operators so why not use it?
Then carry an extra along on the trip so you don’t need to refill on the road.
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets