All about PEX fittings

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: All about PEX fittings

Postby GerryS » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:16 am

PEX is amazing stuff as long as you keep it out of the sun, it does not stand up to UV well.

Mobile use? Every trailer that comes out of Elkhart is full of it…there’s a reason….it’s cheaper, easier to work with, and as long as you keep it out of the sun, it will last longer than your camper.

In researching, pex A is probably better….but it takes some expensive tools if you plan on any quantity. PEX A needs to be stretched before it is put on the barbed connector….it’s natural state is sealed. Where is crimp style are held tight by the rings.

In reality….I don’t think we’d ever see a failure rate worthy of concern in either case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:26 am

It’s pretty similar to the push lock air fittings, in a Semi Truck and trailer :thumbsup:
And what I would use pluming in a trailer if, light ez & fast.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:06 pm

True. Stop overthinking it….and build. If it’s good enough for Lowe’s and homeless despot, you are likely just fine using it for anything short of a $6M mansion in LA for an average anywhere else. PEX rocks, Shark bites are truly under rated.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Reubal » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:03 pm

GerryS wrote:you are likely just fine using it for anything short of a $6M mansion in LA for an average anywhere else.

I'm a plumbing estimator and project manager in LA. We did the plumbing on "The Most Expensive House In The World", a "$500M" mega mansion in Bel Air. The water was run in PEX.

If PEX is good enough for a $500M 105,000sqft mansion...

https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes-fo ... 234639528/
Reubal
Teardrop Builder

Postby JasenC » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:45 pm

I'd go with the crimp system. It's what the plumbers use, you can probably rent the crimper from HD.

I've used a lot of shark bites for temp repairs until I can fix it correctly, I always have a number of them in the van. I've had plenty of them not seal or start leaking on a properly dressed pipe/PEX
Watch those burs.
If you use them do an over pressure test.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets