Setting up a pump for an on demand water heater.

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Setting up a pump for an on demand water heater.

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:18 pm

So incoming is my Camplux 5L on demand water heater. I need to set up a supply line and pump. I want the incoming water to be run through.

The pump I have is a pull out but somewhat recent Baylite 1.2 GPM unit. https://amzn.to/3BjkSJk

I want to have hose / filter inline, so I am planning on 1/2" FPT to 3/4" F garden hose adapter at the heater. https://amzn.to/3exERu6

No link but I know my local Ace Hardware has them, 3/8"barb to 3/4" Male Garden hose thread adapter.

The pump has PVC hose on it, I can stub out, then 1/2" potable water hose in / out of a Camco 40043 inline filter. This goes between the pump and the water heater.

The big questions I have at this point are...

#1. How can I rig up a pickup side to the pump. Most notably to pump in fresh water from a fresh source like a lake, river, stream pond etc...
#2. How should the wiring be done? I am aiming for a lighter socket 12v input.

I am planning on using the rig still off grid / tenting, but need it flexible enough that I can migrate it over to the camper build...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: Setting up a pump for an on demand water heater.

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:43 am

So I validated my config with the pump MFG, and have the following plan setup...

3/8" ID tubing with a strainer / sock filter x 3/8"barb on one end, Hose shoved through a foam ring made from a segment of fishing bobber. a stainless cable clamp as a weight so I am effectively floating the pickup off the sediment on the bottom, then over to the pump, out of the pump with a short stub of 3/8" tusing, to a 3/8" barb x garden hose male clamped on.

Then the Camco 40043 inline filter, and out through a 1/2" ID potable water hose and in to the heater.

Wiring will be simple enough. a 20' harness made up of simple red / black 14 ga wire, with heat shrink crimps, an ATO / ATM style marine grade fuse holder, and a 12V plug. All heat shrink shrunk, all gaps sealed with clear silicone sealant, and the wires bound into a single harness by liberal application of electrical tape.

Output from the heater to the shower tent will be somewhat different. Plop the red hose and shower head into the Ensuite replacin the existing. Run the existing tubing through the needed adapters, up from heater to the quick disconnect at the shower head hose, so I can run it in / out of the ensuite.

Longer term planning. Looking for similar hose, and fittings to the OE Camplux stuff, and reproduce the shower head hose, but at 10' length to allow for a full, hand held shower experience in the ensuite while keeping the fitting at the bottom of the tent. A Y fitting, and POSSIBLY a Joolca sink plumbing rig. However a Y fitting, hose, and a second shower head OR kitchen sprayer assembly for sink duties would be nice...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:01 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:So incoming is my Camplux 5L on demand water heater. I need to set up a supply line and pump. I want the incoming water to be run through.

The pump I have is a pull out but somewhat recent Baylite 1.2 GPM unit. https://amzn.to/3BjkSJk

I want to have hose / filter inline, so I am planning on 1/2" FPT to 3/4" F garden hose adapter at the heater. https://amzn.to/3exERu6

No link but I know my local Ace Hardware has them, 3/8"barb to 3/4" Male Garden hose thread adapter.

The pump has PVC hose on it, I can stub out, then 1/2" potable water hose in / out of a Camco 40043 inline filter. This goes between the pump and the water heater.

#1. How can I rig up a pickup side to the pump. Most notably to pump in fresh water from a fresh source like a lake, river, stream pond etc...

I am planning on using the rig still off grid / tenting, but need it flexible enough that I can migrate it over to the camper build...

My Shure flow pump does not like pulling water uphill. Its much happier getting a down hill flow to the pump. Test your pump and see if it can self prime without burning up.. Personally I'd rig a 5 gallon bucket with a connection on the bottom so you can hang it somewhere and have the water flow downhill to the pump, and you can just pour water into the bucket to use the shower. Alternatively look for a 12V submersible pump to drive the system.

2. How should the wiring be done? I am aiming for a lighter socket 12v input.

I'd aim for either permanent wiring or go for Anderson plugs. You will be fighting bad connections for ever with a cig lighter plug.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:28 am

Socal Tom wrote:
dbhosttexas wrote:So incoming is my Camplux 5L on demand water heater. I need to set up a supply line and pump. I want the incoming water to be run through.

My Shure flow pump does not like pulling water uphill. Its much happier getting a down hill flow to the pump. Test your pump and see if it can self prime without burning up.. Personally I'd rig a 5 gallon bucket with a connection on the bottom so you can hang it somewhere and have the water flow downhill to the pump, and you can just pour water into the bucket to use the shower. Alternatively look for a 12V submersible pump to drive the system.

2. How should the wiring be done? I am aiming for a lighter socket 12v input.

I'd aim for either permanent wiring or go for Anderson plugs. You will be fighting bad connections for ever with a cig lighter plug.

Peculiarly enough, I have a bayou immediately behind my house. I can test.

I did inquire with the Pump MFG. Baylite, and they recommend a simple cigarette lighter plug, fused. My concern was I have seen these set up with relays, at the 5a draw I don't see a need for a relay.

My camper build is a removable truck camper build. Permanent wiring is not going to happen.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby TimC » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:15 am

Sorry if I am hijacking your thread, just a couple questions... I'm intrigued with these portable LP gas fired water heaters. There's some really cheap ones on ebay (but you get what you pay for).

- This Camplux 5L water heater uses an on board battery. Did you find any 12v powered versions available? I'm referring to the ignition voltage with LP gas fueled units. I know I can buy a converter to go 12v to 3v, it would just be simpler to wire it to 12v.

-Will a Surflo Diaphragm pump work with these units? I'm thinking the pump turns on when a shower valve opens and the water heater fires up immediately after?

Thanks,
Tim

-
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:23 am

TimC wrote:Sorry if I am hijacking your thread, just a couple questions... I'm intrigued with these portable LP gas fired water heaters. There's some really cheap ones on ebay (but you get what you pay for).

- This Camplux 5L water heater uses an on board battery. Did you find any 12v powered versions available? I'm referring to the ignition voltage with LP gas fueled units. I know I can buy a converter to go 12v to 3v, it would just be simpler to wire it to 12v.

-Will a Surflo Diaphragm pump work with these units? I'm thinking the pump turns on when a shower valve opens and the water heater fires up immediately after?

Thanks,
Tim

-

No worries, I was hoping to stir conversation on this topic so that I can honestly glean setup and usage ideas for my rig. A bit self serving but also hoping to make the matter clear for all as the propane camp shower / on demand water heater market is quite muddied up on Ebay and Amazon.

The cheaper ones all, at least the ones I have seen use G thread, or British standard thread sizes and are quite difficult to get fittings for in the US, which is why I opted for Camplux. Honestly there are some versions that come in at half the cost of the Camplux, which in itself is quite inexpensive compared to say the Joolca, but when you factor the special fittings in, it just wasn't worth it to adapt the gas, and both water fittings just to get basic function out of it.

They all seem to rely on 2 D cell batteries and do not have 12V power onboard or socket available. The 2 D cells reportedly last quite a long time, change them out as you would smoke detector batteries.

If you are willing to void the warranty, and take safety risks pretty much anything can be done DIY.

The pump shutoff is backpressure from the shower head. Turn the shower head off, pump shuts off, turn the shower head on, pump turns on, gas starts flowing, igniter does its thing, at least that is the idea...

Will let you know soonest possible. I am using a different brand pump, but generally the same thing.

And I am thinking about opting for the 14' harness with 12v plug from Amazon for a quick, not too mentally exhausting connection to my power pack, or the vehicle.

So my next target of interest, and part of the reason I avoided the Joolca as I would have had to modify it anyway is... the plumbing. I am pretty sure I want to stay with 3/8" ID tubing. There is plenty of silicone, and hi temp vinyl tubing on the market. I can get 50' runs of blue, and 50' runs of red hi temp vinyl tubing for about $20.00 each. But I need fittings and I kind of want to go with the lighter weight of plastics.

Can anyone recommend quality plastic fittings, particularly fittings that would connect hose to quick connect, quick connect to hose, and hose to say shower head? Also is there a way to go directly from a 3/8" ID 1/2" OD vinyl hose to say a standard sink sprayer? What fittings are needed there?

My desired end result would be quick connects an optional Y fitting on the outlet side, with output to EITHER or both the Ensuite shower head, and / or a sink sprayer in the kitchen.

The pickup side should offer a long enough stub of tubing with a screen so that priming the pump won't burn it up, then push the water a max of 25' to the heater, but with an optional shorter intake. I want to go from the 3/8" ID to 3/4" garden hose thread Quick Disconnect there as I want to be able to quickly configure for camp site hose water, or fresh water source pickup with the pump. Oh and the output of the pump should go into an inline filter like my Camco 40043. The idea is to filter out the pump harming bits before the water gets to the pump, then filtering out the human harming bits before they get to the human.

Since I am setting up in a truck camper shell camper, I am looking for a swing out, OR a contained box setup that can be QUICKLY and EASILY configured for use...

I am thinking pickup options that could include pumping from say a creek or stock tank into a fresh water carrier,, and then from said carrier to heater. That way I can use shorter hose runs

I've seen ONE setup with the Camplux on a teardrop. Or Squaredrop, or whatever. The guy setup with a plastic box mounted to the side, fueled with a remote short hose, and a steak saver to a 1lb bottle. Cool idea, short run time on the shower, but assuming short showers, not a bad deal...

https://youtu.be/fLWvc2NX0C4
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby DColin » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:18 am

I am a hotel manager. Recently, we renovated the hotel building, and constructed new rooms. Since the tourism season is on peak so we installed water heaters at the required locations with the help the best plumbers USA immediately. Now, we are fully prepare to welcome our guests.
DColin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:31 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:
TimC wrote:Sorry if I am hijacking your thread, just a couple questions... I'm intrigued with these portable LP gas fired water heaters. There's some really cheap ones on ebay (but you get what you pay for).

Thanks,
Tim

-

No worries, I was hoping to stir conversation on this topic so that I can honestly glean setup and usage ideas for my rig. A bit self serving but also hoping to make the matter clear for all as the propane camp shower / on demand water heater market is quite muddied up on Ebay and Amazon.

The cheaper ones all, at least the ones I have seen use G thread, or British standard thread sizes and are quite difficult to get fittings for in the US, which is why I opted for Camplux. Honestly there are some versions that come in at half the cost of the Camplux, which in itself is quite inexpensive compared to say the Joolca, but when you factor the special fittings in, it just wasn't worth it to adapt the gas, and both water fittings just to get basic function out of it.

They all seem to rely on 2 D cell batteries and do not have 12V power onboard or socket available. The 2 D cells reportedly last quite a long time, change them out as you would smoke detector batteries.

If you are willing to void the warranty, and take safety risks pretty much anything can be done DIY.

The pump shutoff is backpressure from the shower head. Turn the shower head off, pump shuts off, turn the shower head on, pump turns on, gas starts flowing, igniter does its thing, at least that is the idea...

Will let you know soonest possible. I am using a different brand pump, but generally the same thing.

And I am thinking about opting for the 14' harness with 12v plug from Amazon for a quick, not too mentally exhausting connection to my power pack, or the vehicle.

So my next target of interest, and part of the reason I avoided the Joolca as I would have had to modify it anyway is... the plumbing. I am pretty sure I want to stay with 3/8" ID tubing. There is plenty of silicone, and hi temp vinyl tubing on the market. I can get 50' runs of blue, and 50' runs of red hi temp vinyl tubing for about $20.00 each. But I need fittings and I kind of want to go with the lighter weight of plastics.

Can anyone recommend quality plastic fittings, particularly fittings that would connect hose to quick connect, quick connect to hose, and hose to say shower head? Also is there a way to go directly from a 3/8" ID 1/2" OD vinyl hose to say a standard sink sprayer? What fittings are needed there?

My desired end result would be quick connects an optional Y fitting on the outlet side, with output to EITHER or both the Ensuite shower head, and / or a sink sprayer in the kitchen.

The pickup side should offer a long enough stub of tubing with a screen so that priming the pump won't burn it up, then push the water a max of 25' to the heater, but with an optional shorter intake. I want to go from the 3/8" ID to 3/4" garden hose thread Quick Disconnect there as I want to be able to quickly configure for camp site hose water, or fresh water source pickup with the pump. Oh and the output of the pump should go into an inline filter like my Camco 40043. The idea is to filter out the pump harming bits before the water gets to the pump, then filtering out the human harming bits before they get to the human.

Since I am setting up in a truck camper shell camper, I am looking for a swing out, OR a contained box setup that can be QUICKLY and EASILY configured for use...

I am thinking pickup options that could include pumping from say a creek or stock tank into a fresh water carrier,, and then from said carrier to heater. That way I can use shorter hose runs

I've seen ONE setup with the Camplux on a teardrop. Or Squaredrop, or whatever. The guy setup with a plastic box mounted to the side, fueled with a remote short hose, and a steak saver to a 1lb bottle. Cool idea, short run time on the shower, but assuming short showers, not a bad deal...

https://youtu.be/fLWvc2NX0C4

My set up is similar to that one, but I put the heater on the door so that the heat doesn't melt the plastic. This is the first one I've seen with the heater inside the plastic box.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:14 pm

The biggest issue with your design is the lake.

You will need a pump to generate enough pressure at the heater. Obviously this is dependent length of hose, diameter, and on the drop/rise from the water source to the heater.

The other thing is contamination from the water source. You will need some sort of filter/screen to remove the big pieces which may or may not affect the flow/pressure. Next algae. Not sure how you filter that. It will get everywhere and will need to be cleaned out. The sections with hot water present might stay clean, but may not completely. Finally - the invisible eg viruses, bacteria. From a non-potable water source, you will get some parasites/bacteria/viruses. Not sure what is the hazard. City water can be contaminated; we all have swum in lakes and rivers. Then again, getting sick from a bad water source is not pleasant.

These portable heaters are actually quite nice especially if you are hooked up to a pressured/city water system. Hot water as fast as you can use it.

As an aside, you should be able to get a 12VDC to 8VDC converter to wire around the need for batteries. With their long life (as stated above), this might really be unnecessary.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets