Water filtration / purification?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Water filtration / purification?

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:17 am

QueticoBill wrote:http://www.aboutrving.com/rv-topics/boondocking/take-a-one-gallon-shower/

While I totally agree that minimizing water use is best. I am not the sole factor here. Were it just me I could get by every third day just doing washcloth baths in between... However it must be said that there is nothing like a nice long hot shower after a long day of hiking, cooking, prepping firewood etc..

It will be MUCH simpler at a campground with tap / potable water, However campground potable water can be questionable sometimes.

Given the inputs here so far, and what I know of from hiking filtration in my younger days...

Plan moving forward for off grid...

Collect water from source in 5 gallon buckets already in my onboard gear. I pack a lot of things in buckets to easy load in / out anyway. Let sit and have silt settle out. Set pump pickup on a rig similar to a fishing leader insuring it stays at least 1" off the bottom so we aren't sucking up silt, and pump from separation bucket to a second bucket. Add bleach drops, mix, wait. Pump from there through 20 micron filter, into heater and out spray head(s).

Might be worth maybe adding a thread bung to the separator bucket with a tap / hose bib, and just gravity change from separator / dirty bucket to collection / semi clean / sanitizer bucket.

If my thought process is right, then that would permit me to have acceptably clean bathing / dish water, and I can reserve the water from the Aquatainers for cooking and tooth brushing...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:59 pm

All of the water gong into our tear (16 gallons) is filtered with a Dalton ceramic and .05 micron carbon block. This is for camp ground water. most from municipal systems. I do have a General Ecology (First Need) filter they intended for small campers.
This is an example of, the Dalton as white before filling (it can be scrubbed), I am betting it was either tannin or silt in the system. In fourteen years we have not had a problem.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:22 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:All of the water gong into our tear (16 gallons) is filtered with a Dalton ceramic and .05 micron carbon block. This is for camp ground water. most from municipal systems. I do have a General Ecology (First Need) filter they intended for small campers.
This is an example of, the Dalton as white before filling (it can be scrubbed), I am betting it was either tannin or silt in the system. In fourteen years we have not had a problem.

General Ecology has a first need intended for small campers? Do you have a link, that might be perfect for what I am looking for...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets