Propane-Stove Set Up

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane-Stove Set Up

Postby Capebuild » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:00 am

Hello. I'm planning on how to go about hooking up the propane tank to the stove. I have an idea of how I'll do it, but thought it best to ask if my plan is the "correct way"
or if there are other suggestions.

My plan (as of right now) is I'll have a 5lb propane tank mounted to the driver's side (on exterior of trailer) around even with the galley area. The stove will be mounted on a slide out drawer basically on the other side of the wall from the propane tank. So when traveling the drawer/stove will be recessed into the galley area and for use will be slid out and extended out from the galley area. The propane hook up is what I'm questioning. The way I was planning on doing it is to drill a hole through the aluminum siding and run the hose into the rear of the drawer area so when the drawer is pulled out the stove (and the hose connected to stove) travels out and when pushed back into place the stove and hose go back in. My concern is kinking in the hose.

Maybe my plan is okay, but just wanted to bounce this off other's to see if there's any other suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks very much.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Propane-Stove Set Up

Postby twisted lines » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 am

Today I woke with sliders and a new shiny stove on my mind!
Muffins yesterday and a few cinnamon roll Pictures Here :stompspam:
I just counted 20 holes I have to plug in the outside I don't want to drill More :thumbdown:
I need to turn the valve; I will use a Quick Coupler.

& :thinking: #2

TL
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:54 am

John:

Except for the tank location, that's the way I did it. And yes, it works perfectly.

Pull the stove and light the burner.

My old teardrop had something similar but it ran off a 1 pound bottle that was in the drawer below it. It too worked well. ... but not as well as the new galley. I don't miss those bottles.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:07 pm

tony.latham wrote:Except for the tank location, that's the way I did it. And yes, it works perfectly.

Thanks Tony. I was actually just looking at a previous post from someone asking a similar question a while back and you had answered with the same photo.
I'm just a bit hesitant to start drilling holes in the aluminum (once installed)... but was also concerned about the hose kinking up. I suppose I could put a large compression spring
around the tube to prevent kinking.... but just wanted to get an idea of what others have done.
I think I may start out having a table next to the galley and put the stove on that and just connect to the propane tank outside of the trailer. As I use it maybe I'll get some other ideas and move the stove inboard. But I like your set up of having the stove on a slide out drawer (with a Partner, of course).
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:24 pm

with a Partner, of course

As you man know, Partner will make their stoves with the intake connector on either the right or the left.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:06 pm

My plan (as of right now) is I'll have a 5lb propane tank mounted to the driver's side (on exterior of trailer) around even with the galley area.

I was just thinking about your Plan A. Why not on the tongue? You wouldn't need to penetrate the wall.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:13 am

Hi John, since our stove will be free standing (set up on a table separate from the galley), we'll have to connect the hose each time we use it. A small amount of extra work, but when using the Coleman with the 1 lb bottles, I never even noticed the set up/tear down.

Alternatively, you might think about running the hose under the tear, even with the tank mounted near the fender, and making the penetration in the floor. I redesigned the penetration for the tow cable from the front wall to the floor after reading some discussion on here.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:30 pm

tony.latham wrote:I was just thinking about your Plan A. Why not on the tongue? You wouldn't need to penetrate the wall.

On the tongue, that's an option. I had originally thought of mounting our bikes on the tongue and since there's also a rear hitch receiver, we could also mount
the bikes there. I guess I wanted to see what our tongue weight wound up being.... but putting the propane tank on the tongue and running the feed hose under the trailer
and just penetrating the floor does seem like a good solution. I'll probably hold off on making this decision, for the time being. I'm at the stage where if I can hold off on certain things..... go camping and use the trailer for a while, we'll have an opportunity to see what works best for our needs.

Tom&Shelly wrote:since our stove will be free standing (set up on a table separate from the galley), we'll have to connect the hose each time we use it.

Actually, this is what we were discussing this morning, as I work on the galley drawer design. Having a small table to place the stove and connect/disconnect the hose as needed. We have our trusty Coleman stove to start off with, but I do think a Partner will be in our future :)
We both like the idea of having the stove reside in the drawers and just pulling it out, as needed..... similar to what Tony has. Just watched your galley tour video (for probably, the 10th time).

Thanks a lot for the thoughts and follow ups.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets