Connecting propane tank to stove without 5430 regulator

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Connecting propane tank to stove without 5430 regulator

Postby pkluma68 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:01 am

Greetings,

This is my first time posting on the forum. I’m also new to the teardrop community having recently purchased my first trailer. I have a 2005 Hunter HU-4 Fat Shadow and I’m trying to get it dialed in for a summer of fun.

I updated the stove slide but the problem is the rigid pipe/regulator that connects to the stove sticks out and blocks the drawers. I’m using a 10# propane tank and have the high-pressure hose that connects to the stove regulator. The stove is a Coleman Model 5466A Series with a 5430 regulator set to 15 psi.

I have asked both Coleman and GasOne for advice and they both declined to provide any advice. Liability concerns, I guess.

I have come up with three options and am hoping the community can guide me to a good decision. I’m hoping not to blow up the trailer or burn down the forest!

Option 1 – Replace the Coleman high pressure hose with one that includes an adjustable regulator that I can set to 15 psi. Connect directly to the tank and the stove, eliminating the 5430 regulator. Tank -> high-pressure hose with 15 psi regulator -> stove.

Option 2 – Add a second hose between the 5430 regulator and the stove. So, tank -> high-pressure hose -> 5430 regulator -> high-pressure hose -> stove.

Option 3 – Play it safe, leave things alone and deal with the inconvenience.

I have searched through the forum but haven't found any posts that directly address this question. Thanks, in advance, for all your feedback.
pkluma68
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Connecting propane tank to stove without 5430 regulator

Postby pkluma68 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:02 am

Still figuring out how to use the forum. Here's a picture showing my issue.
pkluma68
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:16 am

I like option #1.

Lift the hatch, pull the stove, and hit the piezo. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:59 am

I also suggest option 1. It is a damn shame that the hoses and connections for propane stoves are not completely universal and interchangeable at this point. You should be able to go to any hardware store and buy a hose off the shelf and in five minutes be cooking dinner. The tight-lipped and completely unhelpful people at Coleman and GasOne deserve to be flogged with the collection of obsolete hoses we all have in our garages.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:05 pm

Option 1, maybe modified a little from what you describe: The pressure from the tank will be high, reduced by the regulator. Safest thing is to have as low pressure as convenient in the longer hoses, therefore one wants the regulator as near the tank as possible.

BTW, the makers of our new stove (Cook Partner) told us folks have used a 20 foot hose from the regulator (27 PSI in their case) with no problems.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby pkluma68 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:46 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone! My tank is not mounted and will be close to the stove but I'll look for a hose with regulator on the tank end. I didn't think this was rocket science, but it's good know I'm on the right track.

Cheers,
Pat
pkluma68
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aliyuh-sandaya » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:27 am

While it's unfortunate that Coleman and Jason declined to provide advice due to liability concerns, it's important to prioritize safety in any decision.

Option 1 seems like a viable solution, as long as you ensure that the adjustable regulator you use is suitable for propane and set to the appropriate pressure. Option 2 could also work, but it's important to ensure that all the hoses and connections are properly rated and in good condition to prevent any leaks.

If you're unsure about making modifications or connecting propane components, it's always best to err on the side of caution and choose option 3. Safety should be the top priority in any situation involving propane.

For further guidance and professional assistance, you can check out torontodrain.ca , or consult with a qualified propane technician.
aliyuh-sandaya
Teardrop Inspector

Postby USMCDon » Sun May 28, 2023 12:27 pm

I don't know squat , but I do know the regulator is connected right at the propane tank. The regulator's job is to reduce line pressure to about 1 PSI. This way you have proper pressure AT THE STOVE>
USMCDon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SLJ » Sun May 28, 2023 3:01 pm

USMCDon wrote:I don't know squat , but I do know the regulator is connected right at the propane tank. The regulator's job is to reduce line pressure to about 1 PSI. This way you have proper pressure AT THE STOVE>

Built in RV propane systems with their regulators and inside stoves operate on low pressure. Most outside camp stoves are high pressure to prevent them from blowing out in the wind. If you have a Coleman with a little green bottle regulator it is a high pressure stove. It will need a high pressure regulator to work correctly or you can connect it's regulator directly to the tank before an RV regulator (use a Y at the tank). It will not work correctly attaching it behind a low pressure RV propane regulator. It will be near impossible to find an adapter to bypass the Coleman regulator that sticks out the side of the stove. It will be easier finding a different high pressure camp stove with a built in regulator that doesn't use the one pound bottle connector/regulator so you can connect it directly to a tank. I went through this trying to get our Coleman to work off our teardrops quick release propane connection and not the green bottle and giving up. Wound up buying a low pressure camping stove so it can be used with the teardrops regulator and quick release.
2021 T@B 320S Boondock
SLJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ottsville » Mon May 29, 2023 8:54 am

USMCDon wrote:I don't know squat , but I do know the regulator is connected right at the propane tank. The regulator's job is to reduce line pressure to about 1 PSI. This way you have proper pressure AT THE STOVE>

No matter where in the line the regulator is, the pressure at the stove (assuming the correct regulator) will be correct at the stove. Like SLJ says, those of us who use multiple pressure items have an issue. Some use a pigtail to a manifold with two different regulators.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby SLJ » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:31 am

Also if this is a permanent set up then there should be an RV regulator installed on or near the tank. On the tank if the tank is not carried outside or in a well vented box (which it should be). RV regulators should shut off automatically if there's a break in the line and it senses a higher flow. You still have the problem that RV systems are typically low pressure and Coleman stoves are high pressure unless you bypass an RV propane regulator and connect the Coleman directly to the tank using the Coleman's regulator.
2021 T@B 320S Boondock
SLJ
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets