Suggestions for mounting a 5Lb propane tank?

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Suggestions for mounting a 5Lb propane tank?

Postby TearDropDrippin » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:03 pm

Hi all, I’m looking for what you use to mount the small 5lb tanks. I have room next to my tongue box is where I’d like to mount it.
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Suggestions for mounting a 5Lb propane tank?

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:16 pm

TearDropDrippin wrote:Hi all, I’m looking for what you use to mount the small 5lb tanks. I have room next to my tongue box is where I’d like to mount it.

That's an eleven-pounder.

But here's the link to their five-pound bracket:

https://atoverland.com/collections/fuel-propane/products/5-lb-propane-cylinder-bracket

:thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:19 pm

I installed 'L' brackets on the tongue and then used battery "bolts" to attach it to the L brackets plus a couple small 'hook' bolts.
I added a nylon strap for extra "just in case" security, even though it really wasn't necessary. (I tend to over-do.) They didn't have a 5 lb propane bracket available when I was building and, now, I don't want to make new holes in my wood so, it's still the same.

Last edited by S. Heisley on Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Graniterich » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:23 pm

tony.latham wrote:
TearDropDrippin wrote:Hi all, I’m looking for what you use to mount the small 5lb tanks. I have room next to my tongue box is where I’d like to mount it.

That's an eleven-pounder.

But here's the link to their five-pound bracket:

https://atoverland.com/collections/fuel-propane/products/5-lb-propane-cylinder-bracket

:thumbs-up:

Tony
I can't see spending over $100 for a bracket to hold a tank!

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:29 pm

It is a hard pill to swallow.

I could have welded one up. Spent two days fabricating it. $40 in materials and $50 or so to have it powder coated.

That bracket will be on the teardrop when my will is probated. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mtbikernate » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:48 am

I have an older version of this:

https://powertank.com/collections/propa ... s/bkt-2286

bolted to the side of my camper.

Going inside a toolbox, I doubt you need such a sturdy holder, though.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:24 am

tony.latham wrote:

It is a hard pill to swallow.

I could have welded one up. Spent two days fabricating it. $40 in materials and $50 or so to have it powder coated.

That bracket will be on the teardrop when my will is probated. :frightened:

Tony

We just went through that exact cost/benefit trade. We showed a friend of ours, who welds aluminum, the AT Overland bracket Tony uses and he said he could do it for us, but in the end it wouldn't be particularly less expensive.

We decided, these days, it costs less than two weeks of groceries. :shrug:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TearDropDrippin » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:47 pm

Thanks guys, I was considering fabricating something my self with regular hose clamps but don’t think they would hold up against the vibration. It looks like the clamps used on the higher end tanks are called T Lock clamps. I’m having trouble track something down in that large of diameter. So, I’ll probably end up spending the money. At least the DOT and State patrol will be satisfied that the bomb traveling 60mph is properly secured to my vehicle.
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TCJ » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:15 pm

TearDropDrippin wrote:Thanks guys, I was considering fabricating something my self with regular hose clamps but don’t think they would hold up against the vibration. It looks like the clamps used on the higher end tanks are called T Lock clamps. I’m having trouble track something down in that large of diameter. So, I’ll probably end up spending the money. At least the DOT and State patrol will be satisfied that the bomb traveling 60mph is properly secured to my vehicle.

LOL might give you some peace of mind too!
TCJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby Squigie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:11 am

I agree with the cost/benefit here.
I made a few propane tank brackets for a previous trailer, and reworked some pinned-base style 20-pounder mounts on another previous trailer, and have built a few battery brackets, trays, and mounts for various things.

I don't, any more, unless there is nothing 'off the shelf' that will work with little or no modification.

The last straw was the last battery hold-down and tray that I fabricated for a vehicle. It turned out really terribly (I need to rebuild it again), and ate up about 8 hours of my time. Plus materials, plus welding gas, plus welding wire. About a week later, I ran across a battery box at the local equivalent of 'tractor supply' for $30, that would have only needed a little trimming and some holes drilled.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:01 pm

We just got our AT overland bracket this afternoon. (Actually, the UPS driver took one look at the road to the cabin and decided not to chance the mud. I saw him and took off after him in the Jeep; otherwise we wouldn't have seen the bracket until March!)

168346 168345

Better than the prototype photo they have on their web site, since in that one they messed up the holes for the rubber baby buggy bumpers and some were right in line with one of the straps. They fixed that. Even better, now they stamp their logo through the wings! :thumbsup: (I wondered if Tony's has that "feature" but couldn't find any pictures of the bracket without the tank.)

They include the black tape along the back to keep from marring whatever you bolt it to. Won't work for us though. We want it mounted next to the front cargo door

but that's a hollow front, with a 16 wide x 15 inch tall block of foam in there. The tank bracket is only 12.5 inches tall, so we'll need to mount it on something and then mount that through the wood frame above and below the foam. (Also avoiding some wires that run through there.)

First thought was to use a 1/8 inch panel that I have from a 19 inch electronics rack. That's the lovely green painted panel leaning against the tongue in the picture. I think that'd work, but not sure how big of flat head bolts I can find where the countersink is only 1/8 inch thick. Another option would be a mess of 4-40 or 6-32 bolts, threading the holes in one piece of aluminum. That's basically what I did to build the battery boxes.

Might be better though to use a scrap piece of 3/4 inch plywood, maybe with T-nuts on the back, and bolts through the plywood and through the front of the tear, with washers and nuts in the utility compartment. I can line the through holes in the front with epoxy, and maybe glass and epoxy the plywood.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:14 pm

My Idea for the day is next to the hot water heater, on the drivers side. :thumbdown:
I found the five pound new one no price on it; so I asked then took two. ;)
(Filled two five's for six buck's)

Well it's taking space :thinking: and I made it
Attachments
Press.jpg
Press.jpg (58.15 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Pass.jpg
Pass.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 810 times
5#.jpg
5#.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:17 pm

And don't squish it with your bumper :frightened:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TearDropDrippin » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:39 pm

Here is what I ended up going with. What do you guys think? $20! Water expansion tank bracket form Lowes.
Attachments
9A49C33E-16DC-4539-BDC1-0812AB9AC7BC.jpeg
9A49C33E-16DC-4539-BDC1-0812AB9AC7BC.jpeg (141.75 KiB) Viewed 719 times
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TearDropDrippin » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Another view. Still learning how to post pics on here.
Attachments
D2AD17C5-1CB4-4D7A-BDCD-B58F525ED691.jpeg
D2AD17C5-1CB4-4D7A-BDCD-B58F525ED691.jpeg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 719 times
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets