Propane quick connect for 27 PSI camp stove

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane quick connect for 27 PSI camp stove

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:52 pm

We're thinking of using a quick connect between the 27 PSI regulator (near the tank on our teardrop) and our Cook Partner camp stove. We've ordered this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JCWJ9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

but I think we may have made a mistake. Seems these are for "low pressure" grills, although I've seen comments on Amazon suggesting folks sometimes use it before the regulator, which would be something like 145 PSI at nominal temperatures.

I've also seen high pressure quick connects, which seems like it might be what we should use.

So I guess the main question is, will this work safely at 27 PSI? Where is the dividing line between "low pressure" and "high pressure" in the propane grilling/cooking industry?

As always, thanks for your comments!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Propane quick connect for 27 PSI camp stove

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:19 pm

I realize that 27 PSI compared to a 10" WC regulator is a world of difference, but 27 PSI still isn't much pressure.

It shouldn't blow up. :shock:

I couldn't resist. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:50 pm

tony.latham wrote:I realize that 27 PSI compared to a 10" WC regulator is a world of difference, but 27 PSI still isn't much pressure.

It shouldn't blow up. :shock:

I couldn't resist. :frightened:

Tony

Did I mention the quick connect will be inches from our electrical shore power hook-up (or as I like to call it, "old sparky"). I don't particularly want it to leak either. :shock:

No, I know 27 PSI isn't much, but from what little we can glean from the web, "low pressure" quick connects are only rated up to 1/2 PSI (14 WC inches), or 10 PSI, depending on the source. So, another way to ask the question: Does anybody have a reliable source for the low pressure quick-connect specs?

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby rjgimp » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:25 pm

Tom,

I suggest you bring it to Tony and have HIM test it. :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:11 pm

By pumping it into your tank = High. Test gauges up to 300

My Weber BBQ came with it If you forgot the adapter to fill back home to get it. They don't carry one.
Found a spare putting sprinklers in :o
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:03 pm

OK, I admit, I don't even know how a quick connect could be made with a maximum pressure rating of only 1/2 PSI, but was convinced (by a propane parts seller) to spend $50 for a set of "high pressure" quick connect fittings, vs the $14 low pressure version.

If we have any unauthorized venting of gas on the field (to borrow a ballooning phrase), it won't be because of that.

(I was thinking of making a reference to Southwestern cooking, but decided that would be in bad taste, so I didn't.)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:10 pm

We received the "low pressure" quick connect today, and stamped right on it, it says "1/2 PSI". I sent Amazon a low review since the company didn't mention that spec in their description. I also told Amazon they will have a lawsuit someday if they continue to link these products when someone searches for "high pressure quick connects."

Haven't decided whether to send it back yet or throw it in the junk box... :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets