SharkBite connections

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

SharkBite connections

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:31 am

Sharkbite connection in RV’s.
In getting our teardrop ready for its trip I decided to sanitize the water system and filled the tank ad started the pump, and water started leaking out the bottom. Come to find one of the Sharkbite type to PEX fittings leaking in a substantial spray. Looked up why they might leak and find that glycol can cause problems with the O ring seals, and you guessed it RV antifreeze is basically glycol. I will be replacing the fitting with a brass with crimp ring, and yes had to buy the crimper.
There are a bunch of other fittings I am now concerned about and I guess I will be carrying the crimper, rings and fittings.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: SharkBite connections

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:02 pm

That bit of information is good to know ... thanks!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:17 pm

There are non-glycol anti freeze products, but I don't know if you can use them in potable water systems.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby vladislaoapp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:00 am

In my teardrop, the water supply system has needed updating for a long time. I was thinking about replacing all the pipes, and valves (everything except the shower stall itself), but that would be too much. So I found the main problem points. Like you, I had some leaks that I didn't notice. I needed new ring seals and good fittings. I started looking for info about how to get it and where to buy such parts (I bought my teardrop ready-made and didn't change anything in it then). I took all the details to the valvefittingstore, and my friend helped me update everything. If I hadn't done that, I would have had a leaky shower all the way.
vladislaoapp
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets