foamie crashed or blown over?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: foamie crashed or blown over?

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:28 am

Just another thought , if one finds themselves in adverse wind conditions , it may be best to find a large building (Wal Mart) and park on the leeward side ... out of the wind ... a bit of mini -camping at the store , perchance to “shop” till the wind calms. .. I know the Ladies like that idea !!! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ebutler » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:23 pm

For a while I pulled trailers for a company in Iandiana. I have seen full sized 18 wheeler trailers blown over. My solution to heavy winds was to face the tow vehicle into the wind if a wind break wasn't available. Never was real comfortable though but worked every time!
Elmo :frightened:
Build Stuff Or Perish
ebutler
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:15 pm

:thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Like a ship eh? or a go into the light. no, no, no, wrong thing, must refill :wine: been working too long, too tired. :wine: It was not only the height and width with Cathrine's TD but the wind. Have you ever been in that area? I heard a cow got taken two miles and it wasn't a tornado, just the wind. It was pretty bad. Cant wait till she finishes her New TD!!! I either will see it next year or stop and help her build it!!!More :wine:

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby loaderman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Shape also plays a big part. rounded sides so wind can go up and over the top while pushing down.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi everyone! :lady:

Sorry I missed the start of this thread, but it looks like everything has been covered. Yes, wider is better. :cry:

Slight change in plans. Yes, I got the original trailer frame repaired and welded, and the new trailer cabin started, but then I decided to put it on a 5x8 trailer instead of the 4x8. Right now the cabin parts are in my step-dad's garage waiting for the new trailer to arrive. Then we are going to share the old one as a replacement for his 30-yo 8-inch-wheeled rusted out utility trailer.

As soon as my kids get their birthday computers :delivery: I'll get custody of MY computer back and I'll be back online. Of course, my winter project will be the new camper, so I'll try to stay active and take lots of :pictures:

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Welcome back! I'm sure I speak for others, too, when I say we've missed you. :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Welcome Back!! I do hope to see you when I come to the annual meeting of the Macpherson clan in New Mexico in September next year. I will stay at the hotel in town for the meeting but after that I want to see and meet you and your twins. There are about 5 people I will want to meet. Maybe we can have a little TD campout the next weekend. Glad you will be back on here.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Westcliffe01 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Pushing down, huh ? Like how a wing works ? :lol: Seen the footage of a tornado lifting a house off the foundation due to the "lift" created from the high speed wind going over the roof ? :shock: Pushing down only works with a wedge shape pointed in the right direction... With tornado chasers the best example is the conical shaped mini weather stations tht they leave in the tornados path

loaderman wrote:Shape also plays a big part. rounded sides so wind can go up and over the top while pushing down.
Westcliffe01
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:02 am

Catherine ... it's great to hear from you, especially now you’ve gained celebrity status . Your incident was truly unfortunate , but proved the durability of foam to the world ... So Thanks for that , and glad the new one is coming along !!! The 5’ wide does sound much better for your needs ... more stable ... :thumbsup: 8)

Of course once you get “back” , you know we’ll want the :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies