A little help?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

A little help?

Postby RogHodge » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:32 pm

How would you resolve this edge?

I could wrap the canvas right onto the foam and the edge of the ply, one inch foam, 1/4 ply. But will it hold?!?
Another thought is to lay a 1"x1/8" strip covering the foam, it would look like a ? Strip of tape? Sort of transfers the problem but over a wider area. I don't want to build up the thickness any more so I would rabbit the foam to accept the ply strip. Sounds like a pita to me but do I need this? Or is titebond to foam with a 1/4 edge glued outer edge sufficient? I do not want to wrap all the way into the galley-it's ugly and may interfear with the ribs on the boot lid.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.61 KiB) Viewed 277 times
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Re: A little help?

Postby KCStudly » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:19 pm

That's very similar to how it will be on TPCE, except I have a wood edge built into the curved part of the walls surrounding the hatch area. I plan to rabbet that hard edge for the hatch seal and will probably just knock the sharp outer edge off with an 1/8 inch round over bit (I don't want a big shadow line between the hatch and wall, but it needs to be eased). The wooden edge will allow me to staple the canvas down under the seal, and the canvas will die at the corner of the rabbet. The rest of the wood will be painted black enamel to help the eye transition between the outer painted canvas and inner wood finish, while protecting and hiding the edge grain of the inner ply skin.

At the crotch where the last roof spar (the hinge spar) is perpendicular to the hatch mating edge of the wall I plan to add a small inside corner of wood so the seal on the wall can transition smoothly in a continuous piece up the back of the spar. The corresponding lower front edge of the hatch hinge spar may also need to be rounded.

This tricky inside corner will probably need to have a first piece of canvas (or thinner bed sheet material) applied or "jambed out" before the main panel covering gets slit and folded over.

I don't know if that helps you decide, or maybe gives you some ideas, but it is how I am envisioning the very similar thing on my build.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: A little help?

Postby wagondude » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 pm

If you bring your canvas to the inside face of the galley ply, you can cut it flush with the face and run some aluminum angle down the edge inside the galley. That will protect the canvas from getting lifted and give a smooth surface for a seal. You could probably even just use some flat stock if you didn't want to hassle with bending the angle. Then just drill some dowels into the foam so screws will have something to grab.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies