Wood to foam adhesion question

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Wood to foam adhesion question

Postby SpitballJedi » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:17 am

I can't seem to find an answer to my question. I plan to build a foamy with PMF. Part of my design likely needs a wood frame to support the hurricane hinge and door.

It's not a teardrop, but the door lifts up, similar to the hatch on a teardrop. ie, it's a vertical door that will keep me out of the sun and rain when i lift it.

I'm thinking about using gorilla glue to adhere the edge of 2" foam to the face of the wood frame/jamb before I PMF. Then, it would be sealed and reinforced by the PMF. This will give something for the screws to bite in to. Then, I'd just follow good weather sealing standards for installing my door/hatch.

Does this sound reasonable? Overkill? Alternate ideas?
SpitballJedi
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Wood to foam adhesion question

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:59 am

:thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Wood to foam adhesion question

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:45 am

When working with foam to wood bonds, you should use as large an area of contact as possible. So for your hatch opening, instead of gluing 3/4" of wood to the edge of the foam, I would glue maybe a 4" wide piece of 1/4" plywood to the hatch reinforcement to make an "L". You'd have to rout or hot wire as recess for the 1/4" ply,, but you triple the foam to wood bonding area as well as the PMF to wood area.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies