Teardrop (sort of) Mark II

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Teardrop (sort of) Mark II

Postby printer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:53 pm

Was doing a birch sheetted (one t or ttwo?) semi-teardrop and started to weigh things and it looked like my car's load limit had me pulling the trailer with me driving and maybe a bag lunch. Who would make a car that has a 940 lb load capacity? Anyway it is prime building time and I have a pair of truck cap windows I was thinking of using. I am a little concerned at the large hole they do to the structure, maybe it will not be too bad. I can make a frame around the window and have it transfer some of the load. The frame is 2"x3" channel with a 3/4" sheet deck. It was a bolt together frame that I added a section in the center and welded together. I will do a little more of a curve to the front. The trailer is 10' long and is 5' wide and is 54" tall at the highest. Using 1 1/2" foam, frame is a 2"x3" channel with a 3/4" plywood floor.

Wondering what people's opinion would be on the windows?
printer
Teardrop Master

Re: Teardrop (sort of) Mark II

Postby printer » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:37 pm

Or maybe something smaller?
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:22 pm

Mine is only good for 1000 lbs.
Now at least I know my trailer is too darn heavy. :frightened:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:05 pm

....with a 3/4" plywood floor.

I think that's overkill. 1/2" ply will be more than enough with the cross members on your chassis.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby printer » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:50 pm

tony.latham wrote:
....with a 3/4" plywood floor.

I think that's overkill. 1/2" ply will be more than enough with the cross members on your chassis.

:frightened:

Tony

Yes I know. I had different ideas on what I was going to do with the trailer, was going to have two doors open out the back and the camping stuff thrown in when needed. Otherwise I wanted it to be a utility trailer so I did not need to keep two. But then I stuck the pieces on a scale and added up what it would weigh with the roof and interior done. Then the idea was to make it just for travel and try out how well I travel. Then decide which trailer is more important to me. Also depends if I stay in my house, if I do I have enough room for two. But health wise I do not know how long I should stay here. My illness really complicates my life.

But getting off topic, I weighed (sorry, I couldn't help it) the thought of changing the 3/4" for 1/2" and decided to stick with the 3/4". It will only be another 20-30lbs, thinking of chopping a foot or so from the back just to make it a little less susceptible to damage due to going over uneven terrain. Then after a year or two I will know what mistakes I have done and maybe make a MK III. I would really like to make an aluminum framed lightweight trailer but before I take that leap I want to find out if this is the life for me.
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:06 pm

...but before I take that leap I want to find out if this is the life for me.

Gotcha. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies