My first Foamie build-slide in truck camper for 1979 Toyota

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

My first Foamie build-slide in truck camper for 1979 Toyota

Postby jakejakejake » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:39 pm

I cant believe I didn't find this place sooner! Below is an album of photos from my slide in truck camper built from 2" xps foamular 150 covered in fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.
The pictures cover my progress up to about a week ago.
https://flic.kr/ps/3ZbyKo

I am starting to capture the build for you tube, you can see my latest video here: https://youtu.be/uygEEayy6Cs

This week I intend to get the shell completed, and start work on a cool rear hatch design. I'm not seeing many other fiberglass builds, so if you guys have any questions about the methods, materials, or costs id love to share.

Jake
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Re: My first Foamie build-slide in truck camper for 1979 Toy

Postby JasenC » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:50 pm

Welcome.
The foamie campers coming along nicely.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:45 am

J3, Nice !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:42 pm

[album][/album]Nice work so far and I wish I had talked to you sooner as I would have pushed for an over-cab section if only for storage space and aerodynamic's with pulling back on height at bed space. Also would have pushed a bit for a lift top. Be that as it may.. Great work so far!

Before surfacing, think about possible attachments, like awning. Routing in support (I used AC plywood back in the day it was affordable) is easy in XPS foam.

The next thought is the roof. My first topper was only a bed width span and I stressed it in a curve N/S and E/W. That worked out very well! My current version is 7ft wide and needed additional support. I did a clean foam/FG support I liked, but nay on working that well.. I know next build I will incorporate spars/spanners, what ever you wish to call them every 16". If routed in it's not seen and gives that support you hope for.

I have a whole new direction I will head with my next build that works from a SIP direction (this is where the integrated support comes from).

Happy to discuss further if you so desire.

Hope something here helps! Best on your venture of a foamie camper!

Since that several changes have happened. I only show you this for to to understand I come from where you are heading..

I only show you this so you get I am where you are or have been. Good to see another push foam construction!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:02 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas, Its nice to be among fellow craftsmen!

Rj- Thanks for the suggestions. You will be pleased to find that I am indeed using 3/4 plywood discs as hard points with a 1/4-20 t-nut recessed into the back side. There are a few photos detailing this in the previous link.
I did consider a pop top, and may still add one in the future. I like the Alaskan hard side design, and built out of foam and fiberglass I could raise and lower the roof by hand.
I will take your advice for stiffening the roof with a 1x spar(s) I intend to build provisions to mount my yakima rocketbox ski carrier to the roof when the need arises. Or potentially a garage built SUP or stitch and glue kayak. although the roof is only 59" wide with that added weight some lumber in the roof is probably a good idea.

This design, as with design in general is a compromise. I originally planned to build it over a long weekend (HAHAHAHA) and did not want to be building it all summer. I wanted something lightweight and well insulated shaped with quick construction in mind. Somewhere along the design process I decided to ditch the PMF in favor of fiberglass and here we are about 6 weeks later. The fiberglass has added more material cost and more build time, but ultimately its going to make for stronger and longer living camper.

Here is the latest update in video format: https://youtu.be/ymfQQrKiI30 Give it a watch

Im pushing to have the shell completed asap, and then ill move onto the Drifta style slide out kitchen. https://www.drifta.com.au/camping-kitchens-car-backs/

Each bit of progress has me more and more excited, Ill have another update at the end of the week.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JasenC » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:12 pm

You had fun with that router bit didn't you.

It's looking great.

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:26 pm

Honestly, its slightly terrifying. Something about that much mass spinning at what seems like 10,000 rpm. I'm guessing that sorting by cheapest price on amazon almost guarantees that its out of balance by design. Its one heck of a foam dust maker though.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JasenC » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:33 pm

Oh I know, I've spun those big ones in the hand held plenty of times, I mean if it fits in the collet, right?
Those bit's should come with a ballistic jock strap.

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:14 am

"The fiberglass has added more material cost and more build time, but ultimately its going to make for stronger and longer living camper. " .... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jakejakejake » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:21 am

JasenC wrote:Oh I know, I've spun those big ones in the hand held plenty of times, I mean if it fits in the collet, right?
if you know, you know! Its probably a good thing that I couldn't find an affordable 2" round over. It likely wouldn't fit within the dewalts base plate.

GPW wrote:"The fiberglass has added more material cost and more build time, but ultimately its going to make for stronger and longer living camper. " .... :thinking:
Everything is a compromise, right? Both camps have their advantages. I must admit that my own choice for covering material was mostly driven by the desire to work with fiberglass on a bigger project.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:06 am

Honestly, I don't find 'glassing takes all that much longer.. Certainly dries quicker! I've done both and do like 'glassing better, but that's me..

First time I used my router I was surprised it worked so well! Opened up a whole new avenue of thought! I do use a guide rail vs. the bearing as you show though.. concern of burning in..

I debated using resin and micro/balloons and read about a few doing so, just never had the chance to talk with anyone as to it's advantage over using Gorilla Glue. I went GG and do like the way it works. Here in NH it's just humid enough that I don't apply water, no need, there's enough in the air. In other parts of the country it probably wouldn't work as I use it.
Your method is used on kayaks/boats and several others as backing for joints. I will have to try it at some point.

Nice work!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:24 pm

Thanks RJ!

The router guide is a great tip, I have a parallel fence new in the box that I should probably get acquainted with as burn in/ bearing life is a real shortfall of machining foam with a handheld router. I did run some smaller pieces through the router table which produced a nice finish in a easily controllable manner.

I find that the prep work for fiberglass takes almost as long as the actual layups. Making sure you have mixing supplies, pre-cut fiberglass cloth, peel ply, etc all ready to go makes layups go much smoother, but also consumes a lot of time.

This was the first time I used epoxy mixed with micro to bond panels together, although I typically start each layup with a small batch and fill any defects in the foam like router burn and the likes. I highly recommend it. It also did a great job bonding the panels together, but I wont be making that a common practice. The rest of my tub assembly is glued with pl-premium polyurethane construction adhesive and I'm quite satisfied with its performance. The pl premium has a much longer working time, which could be an advantage or a disadvantage, and its likely far cheaper per volume, although I haven't run the actual numbers. The micro is a great choice in instances where you need gap filling properties, like the gap created by the rocker in my floor panel. You can mix it to your desired stiffness by adding more or less micro. Cotton flock is also a thickening option, and is much stronger than micro. Ill be doing resin/flock fillets on all the inside corners prior to glassing the seams with 8" tape.

Im using Burt Rutan's Mold less composite sandwich aircraft construction manual as a guide. Most of the info is way overkill for a camper build, and I often have to tell myself that this is just a fancy tent, not an airplane or a boat. Its a great resource none the less. Here's a link to a .PDF if that sort of thing is allowed http://www.captoscana.com/captoscana/Documenti_Materiali_Compositi_files/MCHSAC-1%20composite%20construction.pdf

I haven't accomplished much in the last day or two, as some other things needed attention, but im heading out into the shop as soon as I hit submit. The discussion here is really getting me to think about the build from other perspectives, and giving me some great ideas for upcoming aspects of the build. Thanks Fellas, more updates soon!
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jakejakejake » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:58 am

Hey fellas, long time no post! I Have finished the side wall construction, bonded them to the tub, and just this morning I bonded on the front curved foam. Its actually starting to look like a camper! Below are a few teaser photos, and a link to my YouTube that has much better quality shots and some some more construction details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLsxr_WuAkU

Its really shocking how much strength that thin area above the windows has, I can stand my full weight on it without any deflection. I'm really looking forward to getting started on the roof foam and spars. Ill continue to share my progress as I get more done.

Have a killer week!
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JasenC » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:10 pm

Starting to take shape nicely.

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:52 pm

Hey fellas, below are a few shots of my progress to date. The build has felt like its dragging on the last couple of weeks, but this last chunk of progress has me feeling really good. I think I'm even ready to get all this foam glassed!

There's a few more photos in my gallery if you're interested.

YouTube update
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Foamies