Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby starleen2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:19 am

Mike - what's the width - I have traversed the bed before and got away with a 48" wide bed that will sleep two adults very comfortably with no crowding. It might give you a little more floor space. I'm 6'00" and the green lantern is 76" wide - I still have a few inched left at the end of the bed - so it could be a bit narrower depending on your height (while laying down)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:25 am

If you took the green lantern Build and curved the rear end like your drawing - you'll have a ton of space - that was my original plan until the MRS wanted a square off back for headroom and shelving. it's 10 feet long. If I didn't need sleeping area for three - I would have made a front kitchen area along with a small potty and shower.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:28 am

starleen2 wrote:Mike - what's the width - I have traversed the bed before and got away with a 48" wide bed that will sleep two adults very comfortably with no crowding. It might give you a little more floor space. I'm 6'00" and the green lantern is 76" wide - I still have a few inched left at the end of the bed - so it could be a bit narrower depending on your height (while laying down)

Scott,

I was thinking about making the inside width about 72". That would make the outside width about 76". What's the inside height on your Green Lantern?

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:33 am

I have slept 2 adults in a single bed before. 2 friendly adults. At least one should not be to overweight.

:oops:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:49 am

Just my opinion ... :roll: The 6' wide seems to be an ideal size ... Tall guys like us can sleep sideways and not take up all the valuable floorspace... and it's not Too wide to tow comfortably ... 4' is just too narrow , unless it's for just one person .. 5' is better but still not if you're tall (I'm 6'3", 245# ) My 6'X12'X5'H TD was just perfect ... and then I sold it ...like an idiot ... because of the wife ... :oops:
Just thinking maybe sometimes we should exercise our manly power of Veto ... :o (radical idea , which might end up with us sleeping in the trailer ... :roll: )
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:20 am

GPW wrote:Just my opinion ... :roll: The 6' wide seems to be an ideal size ... Tall guys like us can sleep sideways and not take up all the valuable floorspace... and it's not Too wide to tow comfortably ... 4' is just too narrow , unless it's for just one person .. 5' is better but still not if you're tall (I'm 6'3", 245# ) My 6'X12'X5'H TD was just perfect ... and then I sold it ...like an idiot ... because of the wife ... :oops:
Just thinking maybe sometimes we should exercise our manly power of Veto ... :o (radical idea , which might end up with us sleeping in the trailer ... :roll: )

I THINK THE HUSBAND TRIED THAT ONCE. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY HE TRIED WHILE WE WERE DRIVING AND I LET HIM WALK HOME. :lol:

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, THE NEW PUTER SHOULD BE HERE ON MONDAY. ITS IN TRANSIT AND ON TIME. :D

MIKE I LOVE YOUR SKETCHES. ENJOY THE REST OF TODAY AND HOPEFULLY WILL HAVE ONE OF TWO GOOD PICS FROM TODAY/TONIGHT.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:55 am

Been there !!! Opened my big mouth , the words came out ...I Tried to stuff them back in , but it was TOO LATE :o The Domina was not best pleased... :roll:
Eagle take some good pics ... to quote Mad Jack : .."You know how we love the pics" 8) Will there be cooking involved or just mass consumption of "Le grape " and the usual Chatting endlessly into the night ... :o :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:06 am

I'll stick in my 2 cents on mattresses. We got a 8" full futon from Wally world. it's 49" by 72" and is plenty or room for Trudy and me and the mutt Plus it was only $150 and is the most comfortable mattress we've ever slept on. I don't no how you would get in a Teardrop unless you did it before you let air in the bag it comes in. It starts out about 2" thick but look out when you punch a hole in the bag. It explodes to 9" in a hurry.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:21 am

Ray, I look at those every week when I get groceries... Kinda' heavy eh , just need the Fu and not the ton .... :lol: Thinking just Big Pillows ... no frame ... I've been wanting one of those for my bigger TT... nice to hear you like it !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 am

RAYVILLIAN wrote:I'll stick in my 2 cents on mattresses. We got a 8" full futon from Wally world. it's 49" by 72" and is plenty or room for Trudy and me and the mutt Plus it was only $150 and is the most comfortable mattress we've ever slept on. I don't no how you would get in a Teardrop unless you did it before you let air in the bag it comes in. It starts out about 2" thick but look out when you punch a hole in the bag. It explodes to 9" in a hurry.

Gary

omg! that is so funny, but worth it as a WARNING! i had one for my real bed in the house. so i knew to put my foam inside the tear first. you are so right, once that air hits it, it explodes to a full sized bed. :lol: that is why i say when the foamie gets weighed the mattress will be in it.

hmmm food, i was just sitting here thinking about what i should bring to eat. was thinking about a foil packet meal. or a grilled piece of porK steak. i'll know once i get to the store. but the foil packet sounds easier.

AND SO FAR IT SEEMS LIKE ITS GOING TO BE COLD, SO THE HEATER IS COMING ALONG.

oh my gd and MYSELF SLEPt out the last night. it was perfect. not too cold and not too hot. just right. :thumbsup:

ok only this weekend to go with this computer doing its thing with the caps and no caps.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:55 am

OK, here's an old road trick : Wrap your meal VERY WELL in HD Al foil ..place it on your motor under the hood , when you get there it will be warm !!! On a long trip . you can cook a chicken !! :o
Disclaimer: may want to get hubby to show you how ... :o (oops , those words just popped out ... :roll: :lol: ) No implications Please !!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:44 pm

GPW wrote:OK, here's an old road trick : Wrap your meal VERY WELL in HD Al foil ..place it on your motor under the hood , when you get there it will be warm !!! On a long trip . you can cook a chicken !! :o
Disclaimer: may want to get hubby to show you how ... :o (oops , those words just popped out ... :roll: :lol: ) No implications Please !!!!

Their was a cook book printed about that kind of cooking. Called "Manifold Destiny" Way back in the 70s or 80s, there abouts.

Book about cooking via car

Most comfortable sleeping I have had in years is my recliner rocker. Only thing I have slept in for the past 5-6 months. And I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to get something like in a Teardrop.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 01, 2011 6:32 am

Wolf ,great find on that book ... 8) never seen that one ...
I always try cooking methods that don't require a fire ... and do a lot of Solar cooking ... especially in the summer , cause' it's outside , doesn't burn any electricity , gas , or wood , and doesn't heat the house up , making the AC work harder...

www.solarcooking.org
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:50 am

mikeschn wrote:
starleen2 wrote:Mike - what's the width - I have traversed the bed before and got away with a 48" wide bed that will sleep two adults very comfortably with no crowding. It might give you a little more floor space. I'm 6'00" and the green lantern is 76" wide - I still have a few inched left at the end of the bed - so it could be a bit narrower depending on your height (while laying down)

Scott,

I was thinking about making the inside width about 72". That would make the outside width about 76". What's the inside height on your Green Lantern?

Mike...

inside height is 5" 1 1/2"
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 01, 2011 6:55 am

starleen2 wrote:
mikeschn wrote:

Scott,

Mike...

inside height is 5" 1 1/2"

That's perfect for a slouchie. Our Baja Benroy was almost the same.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies