Foam TD (build journal)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:30 am

Pat, that just Has to be stronger than the commercial vent I got , which is thin plastic topped and rather flimsy ... :o and yours just Looks better !!!! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see your screen ... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:37 am

Hey All,

Not much progress and no new pics I did make a screen for my doorway. I was hoping to make it a slider but not quite enough room. I think I can make it swing up out of the way.

I did complete my 3rd trip of about 500 miles, round trip, to the Youghiogheny river at Ohiopyle Pa. Stormy nights sleeping comfortably in the TD. I do need to get on that awning system for the window and door.

I also have a 120mm ball bearing computer fan on the way to aid venting. Hopefully, I'll have new pics next week showing progress on vent and awnings.

Been reading all the posts and watching with interest the progress of various builds!
:applause:

SYOTR
Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 am

3rd trip and no pics? we saw the first set, but what about the other two? pics please. :D
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Trip 4

Postby pat g » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey All,

Here are some pics from my latest trip to kayak at Ohiopyle Pa. Stayed at a beautiful family campground. Tall Oaks in Farmington Pa. Great rates and beautiful sites. Check them out if you are in the area. Check out the morning views from our campsite!

Eagle,

I did post pics from Trip 2 just none of trip 3.

SYOTR
Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks for the pics !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:55 pm

thanks for the pics, i guess i missed the 2nd trip pics.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Beauty pastoral landscape , the Foamie fits right in ... Looks GOOD !!!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Trip 5

Postby pat g » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Used the foam TD for my 5th trip last weekend. Added another 600 miles to the total. No pics or report since it was to the same place/camp as the last one and the pics would be the same. Next on the agenda is to get a battery and a dome light for the interior before the next trip. We had a great couple of days boating at nice water levels in Pa.

Any Whitewater teardroppers on here????

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Last white water I saw was mixed with JD... :o
Great Job Pat !!!! You and Eagle have more Foamie Camper miles than Anybody .... :applause: :applause: :applause:
You have any Foamie observations after so many miles on the road ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 pm

No foamylings that are WW rafters, but I know of some tearjerkers that do some kayaking.

Your build is fabbo and it's so cool that you keep adding stuff.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 pm

whoa 5 trips under our foamies now. good job pat! i am so glad that your foamie has worked out for you and you are out there enjoying it.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby DJT » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:50 am

Pat, great to hear that you're getting to use your Foamie! I'm jealous of both that and the paddling, I haven't been out since my son was born last year. I've got a couple of WW playboats (canoes) that haven't been use enough in the last couple of years.
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:23 am

The Best thing is , as you guys run up the mileage , you have dispelled all of those silly myths and speculations about Foamies imploding at highway speeds , being blown off the road by passing trucks , sliding off the trailers ... :roll: The Proof is in the camping !!! :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:31 am

Hey All,

GPW, Biggest on my list of mods is to get lighter springs to remove a bit of hop. I did hear someone mention running tires less than fully inflated but I think I've read that is a dangerous practice. After the springs, I just want to get a nice finish treatment inside.

BTW I just drove by the Little Guy dealer in Massillon, Ohio yesterday and saw the neat little tent camper they have.

Thanks Ratkity and Eagle.

DJT, Congrats on the baby! You do not know how many boaters I've heard that story from. Maybe you have good boating close to home to keep in practice. Good thing is when he is old enough, you can have a great paddling partner who will learn so fast that you might have a hard time keeping up. I started after 40 so my kids were grown up already. I started in an open boat but my knees did not like it. Moved over to kayak and love it.

SYOTR
Pat
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby squatch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:44 am

Pat great job! I just went back and reread this entire thread. Your build is very close to what I would like to build. Same purpose as well. Paddle camping. I no longer own a yak. I sold it and replaced it with a solo canoe. Much easier for me to get in and out of and holds more gear. I float and fish quite a bit. I don't seek out the WW anymore. Getting too old and busted up for that stuff these days.

The teardrop should be perfect for those late Friday night before the put in camping trips. I want something that doesn't have to be torn down before daylight on Sat morning then packed in the boat or taken home and reset up and dried out. Nothing wrong with tents but that part on quick trips I can live without.

Nice inspiration. I hope to get started myself before long.
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies