Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 09, 2011 10:29 am

do you have a zig saw? i just used it and it works great on this stuff. you don't need a lot of fancy gagets on this foam. kiss

oh btw, you should go buy more t2! :lol: i can't stress enough how the full strenth t2 on foam covered in canvas works.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon May 09, 2011 2:00 pm

I think I am going to buy stock in the glue company

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2011 3:18 pm

GPW wrote:QUOTE: " once it was wrapped it was not going anywhere. "... That really is the basis of this construction ... It's the Skin !!! The better the skin the better the Job !!! I was surprised how much stiffness just the bedsheets added to the foam .. :o Can you imagine how strong Canvas is ???
:shock:

Absolutely, it's the skin. I typically like to back up my glue joints with mechanical fasteners, but for the foamie I think I'll be backing up my mechanical joints with skin!

Oh, the mechanical joints also serve as a clamping method for the GG.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 pm

swampjeep wrote:Image

I thought about skinning one side with canvas prior to doing the glue joints. then just bend the pieces, add your GG, and press down on a flat surface, which is very similar to your thought.

But I will probably use a few biscuits to keep the two pieces perfectly lined up to each other, and just throw a couple band clamps on it, you know, those straps that we use to get the plywood and foam home from the big box store!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:I think I am going to buy stock in the glue company

Randy

Good Luck! I don't think Elmers Products, Inc is publicly traded! :shrug:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:04 pm

But Titebond is made by Franklin International. :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 09, 2011 4:20 pm

ok so what does one do when you don't have a flat surface? you make one, or at least the best one you can.
i used pieces of foam. laid them on the ground and got to work.

i did the best i could with what i had to join the pieces together. it's not perfect, but as long as it holds til i can cover in canvas it will do. the strenght is in the skin. :thumbsup:

not sure how well you can see the shape, but i love it so far. and i have decided that i am building this one, entirely myself. unless there is something i can't lift on my own, or the part with stretching the canvas, i will be testing the powers of this woman. :lol:
Last edited by eaglesdare on Mon May 09, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:But Titebond is made by Franklin International. :thinking:
:duh:
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm

I had a few minutes to play before dinner today...

So I went and cut a dowel to 1 7/8" long. Then I put a 3/16" clearance hole in it for my drywall screw. I also countersunk my fender washer.

The idea being that I don't collapse all the foam when driving the screw into the subfloor (from the side).

Here is the result...

It's not a very strong joint, but if used as a clamp for the GG, prior to skinning everything, it should be okay.

What would you folks fill the hole with prior to skinning? Some kind of a spray in foam?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Dang girl, that looks good. That's a standie foamie if I ever saw one. How tall are the sides?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 09, 2011 4:31 pm

tomorrow i will be breaking out the jig saw again and cutting this side out.

hmm, maybe i will canvas the side also, before putting up, just leave some excess hanging for the overlapping parts.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby HandyAtLeast » Mon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Put on an exterior coat of TiteBondII over the fabric and then a coat of Kilz Latex. Fabric is on inside and outside curves. I stood on it for a couple seconds before I chickened out. Curve is very sturdy with very little flex. I am convinced this method would work well for a galley hatch with no additional supports, BUT I think some additional supports would be good to have. Not sure how weather extremes would affect it.

Now to look into a fabric (or rubber) hinge.
I make stuff, and it's all designed on Post-Its... the small ones.
HandyAtLeast
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Gosh !!! just incredible progress being made ... 8)
Eagle , I just Love your new design ... That's going to be Big !!! :D By the pic , wonder what Hubby was thinking ... :roll: :lol:
HAL, That certainly proves the strength of the bent foam ... :thumbsup:
Mike , I like your fastener idea , no collapsed foam .... That oughta' work ....if you need it ... ;)

At this point , the only thing I have to add is if you got the blue foam with the shiny surface, a little sanding first helps the T2 adhere better ... Now all I have to do is catch up ... :oops:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 pm

mikeschn wrote:Dang girl, that looks good. That's a standie foamie if I ever saw one. How tall are the sides?

Mike...

yup a standie for sure, at least i hope by the time its done. this one will take a while, must do as paydays and bills allow.
6 ft sides. i have plenty of head room. not sure about hubby though, he is 5'10", so he might have to bend his head.

oh i did not use anything to fill in holes in the foam. i don't honestly think its needed once the t2 and canvas is on. that is just my opinion though.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 09, 2011 6:00 pm

thanks gpw, i am loving this design way more. this one will be ready for next years camping season. i think i will just buy another trailer after next tax season and add a hitch to hubby's van and let him have the first one. i would love to have it ready for july's trip, but i don't see that happening.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies