Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:38 pm

oh my i LOVE it!!!!! hey that is my trailer. :applause:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Eagle , sorry I cheated and used my Hot glue gun to expedite the build :oops:

By the way this went together , I'd think a bigger one wouldn't be much effort at all .... but we haven't got to the covering yet :roll: ... so small , that could be tedious ... and since I cant get inside , we have to fore go the inside covering ... The foam is very easy to work and sand ... but we must take care to prevent any dents /etc. before the covering goes on ... My foam was slightly dented , so you can see some imperfections ... But the covering should hide all that anyway ... and I did remove the plastic skin on the foam ... I don't think much would stick to that ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 pm

that is funny you mention the glue gun. i was going to suggest you use that for this purpose, but i didn't figure my input was a good one. so it did not melt the foam?
..i was thinking the hot glue gun would work, not the low heat ones, but the really hot ones. if anything it would help to hold while something else is drying.

so far i don't have the trailer in my yard, so i can't do anything but wait til end of jan early feb. you want to come out and lend a hand in march? we have a group of tearjerkers coming together for this build. not sure they know what materials are going to be used yet though. i could use the support. i'll be feeding ya well also.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:06 pm

oh my neighbor told me this one place up the road sells big sheets of the foam boards also. so one of these days, closer to when i need it, i will probably take a ride up there and check out what they have. i think i would rather have 1 large piece to work with than a few smaller ones.

and please don't take this the wrong way, but i still do not plan to go with all foam and nothing else. i do plan on some framing. windows, door, although i do like the door out of this stuff also.

keep up the thoughts and builds though, i need something to carry me thru til jan/feb.

now on the covering, when you mention canvas. are you referring to like the canvas that one would use if painting in oils? or using a cloth type canvas, like lowes sells for painter drop cloth canvas. i really like the idea of plain white or off white canvas, then layering a design on top. like a applique (sp?) or decopaged (sp?) (the drugs must be kicking in, i can't type.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Bigger pieces work better ... less labor joining them ...
The idea of some wood framing is fine with me ... Probably necessary to a point , for like door & window attachments ... I'd try to find a light . strong but rot resistant wood ... like the cypress we have around here...

Canvas, like oil painting is too expensive to cover a TD ... :? I was thinking more a conventional (cheaper) canvas or fabric , like the stuff they make awnings from around here ... Which BTW I've bought and oil painted on ... :thumbsup: Check fabric stores or if you have an awning company ,that works too ... I seriously recommend reinforcing all seams with extra fabric... the strength of the shell is in the covering ... so the better you can tie it all together , the stronger it is ... reinforcement around the bottom , where it meets the floor frame is especially important , since the only thing holding the floor to the sides is glue ... So inside and out fabric strips over the covering and onto the floor would be judicious... and advised ...

You'll notice I used a foam Arch across the roof , a trick I used on my 6X12 TD (plywood there) ... It really gives some strength to that area, and a foam one say 4" thick , when covered should be really strong ... Likewise a foam shelf , covered with thin ply, then covered should be adequate for most shelf items ... Perhaps a central brace/divider for support of heavier things ... Just more ideas ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:42 am

i have a couple more questions for pondering:

heat and a/c: i have portable units, electric ones. would there be any kind of problems using them in side of this construction?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:23 pm

AC is probably where your additional wood framing would help by tying in the foam and wood for extra strength ... ... perhaps thickening the foam in that area , and more fabric reinforcement ... not like a little window shaker's gonna rip itself out the mount ... with sufficient fabric , in and out , glued and painted , it's gonna' be Strong !!! The little model is surprisingly stiff and strong , just the foam ...
Being all foam , you probably wouldn't need much heat ... small electric unit on low would probably be sufficient for the worst weather... Just don't heat the trailer up beyond 250 F or the foam might go soft ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Eagle , you did see this huh ??? Foam and wood reinforcing ... http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=69628

Treat the AC opening just like a window opening ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:13 pm

yes i have seen that link. and if the temps reach 200 plus i would have more important things to worry about.

i think i will be calling tomorrow to see what that shop up the road has in stock. and if its what i want, i'll be doing some bills on friday. if there are any left overs, i might just start gathering some things.

since i am the wife, i can start a build in my house if i want to. the major problem i have is keeping everything flat til i start the actual put on floor board and attach part.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:22 pm

QUOTE : " since i am the wife, i can start a build in my house if i want to."

It's GOOD to be the wife !!! :lol: 8) I could NEVER get away with that ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tuber » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Like the Foamie!!! Most of the boat builders that cloth cover T2 use an iron to shrink/tighten the covering. Wouldn't this bother the foam? >200 degrees. What would you do for door/wndow framing? How would you seal the back if you wanted to have a kitchen unit?
:?
There are only two types of water vessels---Submarines and targets
tuber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 am

Tuber, that's where the wood reinforcement comes in handy , around the windows and doors ... Galley in the back ...I dunno'...??? Never planned for that ... but it's possible ... This idea was more "Cheaper Sleeper"... :lol:

No need for expensive fabric here ... the material will lay flat on the foam , no problem , no need to heat shrink ... But that heat shrink fabric would work fine on a more aircraft styled rib and stringer construction ... Another TD I plan to build in the future... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:03 am

so i thought i had my head wrapped around this idea, but then after tuber's post, i am confused again.

i understand the "sock" theory. i can see the cloth wrapped foam, glued and stapled to and wrapped around floor. don't think it will go anywhere. but any opening will not have that same security. the door, hatch and windows come to mind. i do understand the wood framing coming in handy. i suppose i will just have to wing this and see how it turns out.

another thought i had though, is that i believe a solid piece of cloth is not going to work to cover the foam. too many shape changes for that. one flat side would work, but then you have to smooth out and get that cloth over the curved roof, then back down and flat on the other side of wall.

the only way i can visualize this in my head to work, would be to have a complete wood frame. each piece would have to be clothed individually (modular) and then assembled. the roof cloth could then have an overlap onto the walls. but to have one solid piece covering 2 walls and roof, i can only see as a cloth "strap".

if built that way i don't see any problems with door, windows or hatch. without the wood frame i just see problems.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 am

Eagle , as you can see in the earlier drawing , it was my intention all along to use wood for windows , doors , and hard points for "attachments" ex post facto ... Lights , hooks , awnings , cargo nets . etc.
As far as covering , I found some nice linen canvas and I'm going to use that to cover the model ... One piece each side , overlapping onto the floor bottom , then one piece for the roof ... overlapping the sides ... slightly ... I'll do more pics , just for clarity .. Be back soon ...

OK, I'm back ... got the first side covered , window "wrapped" around the edges to the inside ... lower flap glued over the floor edge... I took a pic , but my camera battery died as I was downloading ... Grrrr!!!!!!! First thing I noticed about covering was my dirty fingerprints mixed with glue on the canvas ... :o Had to wash my hands thoroughly ... all this is really not a concern as we're going to paint it anyway .... just trying to be neat ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:05 am

GPW and others

I been following this thread with great interest. I have stumbled on a less expensive glue than TB 2.

http://woodworker.com/ol'yeller-waterdog-wood-glue-mssu-915-695.asp

I have not used this glue, yet, but i have ordered from this company several times with good results. They supply many professional wood workers.

They also have Tight Bond products

I may have to wait a bit before ordering glue as it is not suppose to freeze and I live in Idaho.

I also found this paint and am wondering if anyone has experience/thoughts on using it.

http://www.50yeardeckpaint.com/default.asp

Thanks

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies