Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Thu May 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Back home now ... here's the canvas , lots of canvas ...maybe enough for two ... :thumbsup: Image
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Thu May 12, 2011 4:09 pm

GPW wrote:Back home now ... here's the canvas , lots of canvas ...maybe enough for two ... :thumbsup: Image

Time to start gluing!!

My solar panel is arriving tomorrow. Then I'll document my foamie solar cover construction!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Rat , Cool !!! I Love Solar ... The fuel is FREE !!! 8)
Got a can of spray foam at Wal Mart ... for the touchups .... Will do that this evening when it cools down .. 90F here today ... and Humid ... :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 12, 2011 5:21 pm

BTW, Vinney didn't have any Cypress on hand , but did have some Alaskan Cedar already ripped to size ... so I grabbed that ... Plus it is grooved on one side so I could make a window frame out of that too ... Got 24' to play with ... another FREEBIE ... :thumbsup: 8)

Gotta' hurry out and foam seal the top and tape in a door , rain on the way ...Figures, hasn't rained in a month , and now right in the middle of the build it finally decides to ... Murphy's always Busy !! :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 12, 2011 5:25 pm

mikeschn wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:ok since i can make topics sticky's i have started. so bare with me, this will take a while. it will not happen overnight.

i know how to copy and paste, but i don't know how to add who posted what, so not sure if we need that or not. but for the sticky part we really only want the info right?

It's only possible to split a thread, and move it to a new thread. It's not possible to take a post and move it to an existing thread. That makes is very difficult to structure the section the way you want.

Although one option is to quote a message, copy it to your clipboard, create a post in the appropriate thread, and then paste it.

Mike...

i was trying to put one thought on each post. if you read the glue one, i tried in each post to put the same thinking or discussion and answer to the question. did that make sense?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 12, 2011 5:28 pm

GPW wrote:BTW, Vinney didn't have any Cypress on hand , but did have some Alaskan Cedar already ripped to size ... so I grabbed that ... Plus it is grooved on one side so I could make a window frame out of that too ... Got 24' to play with ... another FREEBIE ... :thumbsup: 8)

Gotta' hurry out and foam seal the top and tape in a door , rain on the way ...Figures, hasn't rained in a month , and now right in the middle of the build it finally decides to ... Murphy's always Busy !! :roll:

that foam can sit in the rain right? is there any reason to cover the foam? i still have my shape sitting out there, i have no place anymore to put it, so it now has to sit outside, but i am worried about the rain, will the rain destroy the foam?

i would think the answer would be no, i know we have scrap pieces way out back and they seem just fine, they are not good for anything though, truely scraps.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 12, 2011 5:48 pm

The rain won't hurt the foam at all .... but my ply floor is yet untreated ... :o Gotta' keep that dry for now ... Thinking of lowering it off the horses... supposed to be windy too ... good test of the aerodynamics too , as if it were on That Bridge ... :o
best case scenario, the blue dust will all be washed off , nice and clean , ready to cover... Maybe Saturday ... supposed to be dry again ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Got it all sealed up , down on the cinder blocks .... I was totally surprised how light it is ... I can pick up an end with one hand... :o Image

Who let that Old guy in the picture ??? :roll: :lol: Tiny huh???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 12, 2011 7:48 pm

GPW wrote:Got it all sealed up , down on the cinder blocks .... I was totally surprised how light it is ... I can pick up an end with one hand... :o Image

Who let that Old guy in the picture ??? :roll: :lol: Tiny huh???

that is a great picture!!!!!!!!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 12, 2011 7:59 pm

GPW wrote:Back home now ... here's the canvas , lots of canvas ...maybe enough for two ... :thumbsup: Image

I saw all that white cloth and in the back of my mind I heard, ever so low. "toga, toga, toga"

Your foamie is looking good. Call you and eaglesdare the Daniel Boone and Davie C rocket of foamie construction.

Thread grew just shy of 2 pages since I went to work this morning.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Toga, That's Funny !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eagle , the wife took the picture ... I told her , look through here, push this button ... psychologists... :roll: She's NOT good with mechanical things, don't even let her in the kitchen... just Too Dangerous... :o It does give a relative scale to the TD... I'm 6'3" 245lb. Thinking I need a Bigger trailer already ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 13, 2011 5:54 am

stop picking on the wife!!!!!!!

and now i can't get the thought of us all wearing toga's out of my mind :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 6:41 am

TOGA TOGA !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Picking on the wife ...Noooooo !! We call it "Protecting" the wife ... Seriously , the wife has more degrees than a thermometer, but she's no homemaker ... :o NOT HANDY!!! Attempts at cooking result in a trip to the emergency room ... :shock: After 37 years together , I've learned to just do what she cannot ... (safely)... :roll:
But she is excellent at her job , helping people , and taking care of the more intellectual aspects like book keeping , calculating taxes,paying the bills , and telling me what to do ... :R
Plus , she's highly attuned to SHOPPING ... for clothes , shoes , and accessories...
But the thing she does best is Understanding Me ... and all my Crazy ideas... :thumbsup: She's the practical , I'm the Creative ... We work together, which is why we've lasted so long ... :D

Probably the only thing she doesn't understand is why i'm building yet another trailer ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Fri May 13, 2011 6:55 am

Looking good GPW. Mine weighs probably just a bit more than yours will but can still lift one end easily with one hand.

Pat G :thumbsup:
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks Pat .... Yeah , the first time I tried to move it , I braced myself , bent my legs to lift from the waist... prepared to lift , and was totally surprised to find out it was a light as a feather , or rather a box of feathers ... Just roughly calculating , I'd say the shell is just under 100 pounds... as is right now ... So Easy for even an Old guy like me to deal with :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies