Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 13, 2011 7:19 am

ok i have a question. could you put varnish/poly or tent water proofing spray on top of that completed canvas? by completed i mean done with the paint.

i was just wondering if that would give it any shine/luster, and an added bit of water proofing.

was also pondering getting my wood today, but since it is going to rain for the next few days i am going to hold off.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 13, 2011 7:23 am

GPW wrote:Thanks Pat .... Yeah , the first time I tried to move it , I braced myself , bent my legs to lift from the waist... prepared to lift , and was totally surprised to find out it was a light as a feather , or rather a box of feathers ... Just roughly calculating , I'd say the shell is just under 100 pounds... as is right now ... So Easy for even an Old guy like me to deal with :D

yours has to be light. my shell i think is around 235 lbs. yours is smaller, and still is not covered with canvas. i still can't believe the differnce those rounded corners make. i am thinking about that for the second build.

i have to start playing the lottery. :roll:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 7:57 am

eaglesdare wrote:i have to start playing the lottery. :roll:

I started playing (almost) regularly since my baby was born last year. I told my wife it's teh only hope of a retirement I have LOL

(I know, that's really no hope at all)
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2011 8:23 am

swampjeep wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:i have to start playing the lottery. :roll:

I started playing (almost) regularly since my baby was born last year. I told my wife it's teh only hope of a retirement I have LOL

(I know, that's really no hope at all)

There is hope. You just have to save a little every payday.

'enuf said!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 10:04 am

Rounded corners are good because they don't put any stress points on the skin , as sharp corners would ... look less Boxy on my particular build ..

Now to address that Size business... :o OK, it's small, but this was a step up from the first one .. The more we learn/experience gained, the bigger we can go ... 8) 8) 8)
I can envision a 20' or better TT , with 6" - 8" Foam ...Intelligently designed, skinned , perhaps fiberglass on the roof ... fully equipped ... Nice paneling on the walls ... a proper ceiling,lights , entertainment , the usual things , and probably Half the weight of the Beast I have to tow now ... (and a tenth the price ) :roll:

Remember this ??? Image

" We've come a long way Baby !!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 11:26 am

so why do you think a 20' tt needs 6" or 8" and fiberglass roof? do you think the 2" and canvas are not strong enough for a 20' ?
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 am

No , not at all ... Just my natural tendency to overbuild most everything ... :D Just a projection of imagination ... With the real strength of the combined materials , I'd imagine you really wouldn't need anything over 4"... and that would be including a generous Safety factor .... Sure would be EASY to heat and cool eh ? Actually a 6' (inside) X 12-14' Standy would do me just fine ... Easy enough to do with the 2" foam ...
Concerning the fiberglass roof idea.... I live in the woods amongst MANY Trees, which constantly seem to be shedding limbs... A foam/canvas roof would be easy to repair (the foam localizes the damage to a tiny area , unlike wood which breaks and splits) , but at my age , I'd just rather not have to deal with it ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 13, 2011 11:50 am

:lol: yes we have come a long ways, i started to reread this thread again. it was interesting reading. and all those questions i asked in the begining. so glad you put up with me gpw. i think i started in this thread in november 2010. did not order my trailer til end of jan. those few months inbetween was horrible.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Has it been that long , really ??? :o We Must have done a lot of talking ... :D Thanks for trusting me , you did SUPER ... !!! :thumbsup: :applause: :D 8) 8) 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Rained out .... Glad I got it sealed ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Here's a tip ... If your canvas comes all folded with creases , like mine .... just wet it and toss it in the clothes dryer for a tumble ... Creases gone ... :o Saves having to steam iron it flat ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 2:31 pm

If you can stand yet another tip... :shock:

One of the problems I always have when covering is cutting the fabric edges so they're Even :o ... So I'm making a tool that will allow me to precisely mark a specified distance for the overlap , producing a nice looking even seam ... Just some scrap wood and a pencil ... Difficulty level 1... :lol:
Just slide it along under the fabric along the trailer edge , the pencil makes the mark , then the pinking shears ... "professional" looking ... Might as well make them as nice as we can eh ???

Note , you could even make one out of scrap foam ... some use after all for those little pieces... :D

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri May 13, 2011 6:23 pm

:thinking: GP could you put in support walls/bulkheads and use the 2" foam for a larger build"
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby lm248 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Miriam C. wrote::thinking: GP could you put in support walls/bulkheads and use the 2" foam for a larger build"

I sure hope so here is my sorta plan,,,,
I say sorta because I don't have a trailer yet,,,
So I will have to make some adjustments when I find something,,,
The only dimension that is somewhat fixed would be the width,
Les
lm248
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Auntie M. , You know, with the proper structuring of the trailer interior with different bulkheads , shelves , cabinets ,arches (with curtains), etc. placed/glued in as to provide support the structure, you could make an incredibly strong trailer , with everything tied into everything else , providing inner support for the entire body as a unit... Unibody ... Then skinned on the outside , it would be VERY VERY STRONG !!!!!! yet still Light ...
just considering if you use panelling to skin the inner walls , you can skin the foam cabinets , shelves, etc. too , making everything even stronger... Shall we design some "structural" interiors... ???

Les , looks like a good plan to me !!! Should be very Roomy !!! Nice and simple to make too ... 8) ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies