Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sat May 14, 2011 7:39 pm

its nothing really, just something for fun.. once its done i will post. it won't take but a day or two, depending on weather.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 15, 2011 5:12 am

I think it was mentioned in one of the foamie threads, that the canvas covered method was used thousands of years ago.

Can someone point me in the right direction. Was that for boats? Anyone have a URL?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 5:52 am

Wonder what they used for glue ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 7:01 am

:o Just a word of caution for TDs on cinderblocks .... Just looked at the TD in the yard and there was a snake under it ... :o Just a dark gray one (round eyes) non poisonous , about 5 feet ... slithered away ... scared the Holy S*** outta' me ... :shock: Could have been a Bear under there .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 15, 2011 8:24 am

GPW wrote::o Just a word of caution for TDs on cinderblocks .... Just looked at the TD in the yard and there was a snake under it ... :o Just a dark gray one (round eyes) non poisonous , about 5 feet ... slithered away ... scared the Holy S*** outta' me ... :shock: Could have been a Bear under there .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

you are so funny.

but just to let you know, that round eye, non poisonous vs slit eye, poisonous, is not true.

some round eyes are poisonous and some slit eyes are not. i would have to go search for examples, but it was just to let you know, don't count on that.
most of the snakes in this country are pit vipers, so i think you have to look for the pit between the eyes and the nose, that should let you know if its a venomous or non. coral snake is the exception i believe.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 15, 2011 8:29 am

hey did you know that the state mammal for louisiana is the black bear? since 1992.

and they are threatened. estimated between 3-400 current population.

so gpw, start feeding those bears! start a bear refugee in your yard. you could start a breeding program. :lol:
Last edited by eaglesdare on Sun May 15, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun May 15, 2011 8:30 am

Luckily where I live only poisonous snakes are rattle snakes so I don't have to get close enough to look them in the eyes.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:41 am

mikeschn wrote:I think it was mentioned in one of the foamie threads, that the canvas covered method was used thousands of years ago.

Can someone point me in the right direction. Was that for boats? Anyone have a URL?

Mike...

I think i read it on this thread starting about page four with laursand covering her tear with canvas. Also caseydog mentioned it in his build thread :cry:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 8:52 am

Stew, it only seemed like a thousand years ago ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Living in the woods , i've learned to leave Everything alone ... Nature takes care of itself , If you threaten it , it strikes back ... :o They don't really want to be around you .... unless you have (or Are) Food !!! :shock:

State mammal? .... Na Unh ???? :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 10:20 am

Got my front and back covered and my front roof (no pics yet , batteries charging) ... and I'm Out of glue ... So it's off to the HD and get more ... I'd like to "wrap this up" (sorry) today so I can start gluing in the door framing , once that's done , we can add all the reinforcing strips ,figure out a door , then Paint ...
Yet another trip to the HD ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 2:25 pm

All Done now !!! Outer covering ... drying in the sun ... :D Pics as soon as those darn batteries finish charging ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun May 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Better check the inside of that shell for snakes

Now every time you climb in you will think of snakes

8)

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Wolf , most probably .... first thing I did when I got back from the HD :lol:
No snakes , no state mammals ... !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 15, 2011 3:03 pm

so the day turned out pretty good, actually pretty hot. rain stopped. so i made an attempt to work on it, but just got too hot. so i waited for it too cool off a tad bit. i am out there starting to work and guess what? yup it rains. but it stopped pretty quickly, i just stayed out during the rain, it felt good.

but i have to say that slugs love this foam! oh my, all the foam out there was covered in slugs! ick. but i guess in a way it was better than snakes and bears. we have copper heads here, so i don't want to be seeing them.

and glueing 3 pieces together is so not easy by oneself.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Eagle , it's been Beautiful weather here.. Lucky for me , rained once , but not at a critical point ..
Boom !!! Just heard my neighbor shoot a snake across the street ... He gets a couple a day ... :o His Hobby , I think .... Farmers ??? :roll:

You'll have to get Hubby to pour you a nice flat slab to work on .... the civilians call it a Patio ... :o Tell him you need it the BBQ for him ... Summer's here !!! Mmmmmmmm!!!! :D ;)

~Bear~ :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies