testing a concept...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Conedodger » Fri May 13, 2011 3:57 am

I am new here, having only just joined. I have just gone through the 90+ pages reading them all and a jolly good read it was.

For my two cents worth leave it alone, dont split it as all these new bits seem to confuse.

Let people ask the same questions again but rather than point to the other answer in the "big post" answer it again

The "Foamie" section will then become very useful.

If someone ask a question in the "big post" from now on, only then move it to its own post so it developes.

One thing i will say is its nice to see how Eagle went from "newbie" to "Guru", and then to "Foamie Mod" over a few months. In the early days of the tread she was asking questions to be convinced and now is convincing others that this works.

It made me smile when she asked GPW all sorts of questions and he answered. She then built one and used it before GPW even started, in the last few weeks its was as if GPW had to start his to catch up.

Great read and friendships formed (Or should that be foamed....)

Please dont ban me when I say I am not building a Tiny Trailor (Not many do in the UK) but a foam demountable camper and oh do i have loads of questions

Regards

:thumbsup:
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2011 6:10 am

I agree Cone. We'll leave the big thread alone.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Do you have a first name?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 13, 2011 6:11 am

wow, for a first post i think you did wonderful. your suggestions make a ton of sense.

when questions are asked we will switch them to their own post and continue that discussion there.

i can't believe you read all 90 plus pages, but then again i have done the same on other threads, and i have actually reread our thread a few times.

so should we get rid of the glue sticky? or just leave it alone. i think that is one of the most mjor issues in this foamie build.

welcome to the forums and i see no reason for you to be banned. thanks for your post. so you are going to build a removable camper? well ask away and we can start with the answers. LOL
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri May 13, 2011 6:41 am

You read all 90 pages!!!!!

How is the brain damage?

:lol:

Welcome to the forum and nobody minds if you are not building a traditional teardrop. But there might be some good natured kidding. ( see my comment on brain damage )

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 7:18 am

Conedodger wrote:I am new here, having only just joined. I have just gone through the 90+ pages reading them all and a jolly good read it was.

For my two cents worth leave it alone, dont split it as all these new bits seem to confuse.

Let people ask the same questions again but rather than point to the other answer in the "big post" answer it again

The "Foamie" section will then become very useful.

If someone ask a question in the "big post" from now on, only then move it to its own post so it developes.

One thing i will say is its nice to see how Eagle went from "newbie" to "Guru", and then to "Foamie Mod" over a few months. In the early days of the tread she was asking questions to be convinced and now is convincing others that this works.

It made me smile when she asked GPW all sorts of questions and he answered. She then built one and used it before GPW even started, in the last few weeks its was as if GPW had to start his to catch up.

Great read and friendships formed (Or should that be foamed....)

Please dont ban me when I say I am not building a Tiny Trailor (Not many do in the UK) but a foam demountable camper and oh do i have loads of questions

Regards

:thumbsup:

I'm farly new here too, I too read thru the whole thing, but it was only around 60 pages (I think) when I started reading it LOL

Funny thing, I'm on the fence on what to build but when I first came here is was looking for construction ideas with a truck bed mounted camper, I ussually tow a jeep behind a pick up on my trips. I've been considering just towing a TT behind the jeep for a few years since I dont' plan the heavy off-roading I was doing as a single guy now that I will be goign with wife and baby :D

eaglesdare wrote:wow, for a first post i think you did wonderful. your
suggestions make a ton of sense.

when questions are asked we will switch them to their own post and continue that discussion there.

i can't believe you read all 90 plus pages, but then again i have done the same on other threads, and i have actually reread our thread a few times.

so should we get rid of the glue sticky? or just leave it alone. i think that is one of the most mjor issues in this foamie build.

welcome to the forums and i see no reason for you to be banned. thanks for your post. so you are going to build a removable camper? well ask away and we can start with the answers. LOL

I would say leave the work you've already done. I would love to see Mike and GPW's build posts copied to their own build threads though too. Although I agree with not splitting the big thread apart, IMO think some valueable info may be lost or hard to find if never put to a smaller thread with a title that goes with it. If a serch even turns up that thread, who is goign to go thru 90 pages to find what their search turned up, when it might not be what they wanted? I think info on different types of foam, their strengths, could be one, then glue (which you already started very well), maybe adding a thread for tests that have been done on various materials and glues, something on attaching methods , maybe even a basic outline (as someone else mentioned) of the foamie build.

BTW, I would be willing to help with the copying over of posts, so when I ask for this, I'm not expecting others to do it all, that's partly why I did the Kerfing thread, to see how I could help. I could copy them like that without needing any mod privledges, and would keep doing that if others think it would be benificial, if not I may do that to my own HD for my own refference. I think those threads (the glue, and the kerfing) should be stickied for easy access.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 13, 2011 7:34 am

what does the hd stand for towards the bottom of your post? for the life of me i can't figure that one out. lol
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 7:59 am

eaglesdare wrote:what does the hd stand for towards the bottom of your post? for the life of me i can't figure that one out. lol

sorry, hd = Hard Drive (on my computer)
Last edited by swampjeep on Fri May 13, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Conedodger » Fri May 13, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks guys for the kind welcome

I think we can say that Eagle and GPW have caused quite a stir with this construction method. Foam coverted with Glassfibre and Epoxy have been done many times and i think most agree using fast drying epoxy it not easy and thats why there is a lot of interest in T2/cloth. However some just dont have the guts to try it, so well done to Eagle for being a trail blazer.

:applause:

I noticed one poster in the "big post" named pods8 who like me, thought "what a great idea" but are unsure if its strong enough for off road.

Pods8 went with epoxy, his build is here.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/s ... hp?t=58926

another of interest was this one

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/s ... hp?t=59177

In Carbon fiber

In the UK the commonest foam is celotex which has a foil on, and so far I cant find pink or blue foam locally to test. I tested joining a 90deg mdf to mdf with and without cloth using waterproof crosslinked PVA of the same spec of T3 and with epoxy and was amazed at how strong the cloth one is

A) MDF > PVA > MDF
B) MDF > PVA with cloth for 2 inches round the join > MDF
C) Epoxy and glass fibre

C was the strongest by far
B was still very strong when comparing it to A

The problem i and other have is that it should not work. T2/3 are a crosslinked PVA so an emulsion in water. PVA adhesives only stick porous materials, particularly for wood, paper, and cloth. They have used it for years to waterproof limestone. Foam is not porous so PVA will not stick to it.

The chinese made papermache furniture thats still around today after 1000's of years and I bet the first trail blaser (whats the chinese for Eagle) who made furniture out of paper had people thinking, "Ah that cant work"

Saying all that, its proven to have worked, its just do i have the balls to try it on my camper. I would hate to be the one that watched his new pride and joy shread itself on a mountain road.

I think a lot of sceptics dont realise that you are wrapping the foam with cloth and PVA will stick cloth to cloth perfectly well. I missed the point that you are not relying on the glue sticking to the foam at all (Well maybe a bit), the foam is just something to fill the gap.

Maybe i am just chicken but I feel i need to do my own testing to be sure as i really want to try this but i only want to build one.

Regards

Colin
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 8:41 am

Conedodger wrote:Thanks guys for the kind welcome

I think we can say that Eagle and GPW have caused quite a stir with this construction method. Foam coverted with Glassfibre and Epoxy have been done many times and i think most agree using fast drying epoxy it not easy and thats why there is a lot of interest in T2/cloth. However some just dont have the guts to try it, so well done to Eagle for being a trail blazer.

:applause:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I full agree, and need to show my thanks too
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 8:59 am

Cone , we Always test on scrap bits FIRST!!! Not like it's a big gamble .... especially if you use my Thrifty method of materials acquisition ;) ... The trailer part can always be used for something else ... should you not like it ... :o Probably would make a great garden/lawnmower shed. playhouse for the kiddies , or Luxury Doghouse :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 13, 2011 9:10 am

i used the full t2 on the foam, then cover with canvas. i know i could go out there a tear off that canvas, it will come up, it may take some of the foam off also. but i also did a layer of diluted t2/3 on top of the canvas, and then primed and painted, i can tell you that stuff is not naturally coming off. i am sure if i try i could probably pry it off, but i don't want to do that. lol so i am really happy with the sticky ability of this stuff.

i don't know if it will break down over the longterm, but i am confident it will last me this whole camping season.

i can tell you that the only place water is going to come thru is on an opening, window, door, hatch. it will not come in anywhere there is a seam. once wrapped, it becomes one solid unit.

by all means do your own testing, first of all it is sort of fun. but i did my own test, sort of. i tried to water proof with t2 a cardboard box. it worked, that was enough for me, to give this a try. my cat has since taken over my box. lol

and seriously if you think about it, this really is no more than a sandwich wood build. i see lots of folks build with a foam inside, we are still using the foam as the inside. but instead of wood on the outside, or aluminum we are using fabric for me, canvas.

i have come to the conclusion that the inside really doesn't matter. not the way mine was built. but the inside could be done so many ways. cloth, wood, carpet, anything/anyway you want.

the foamie is taking a long trip this summer in july, we are going to the crossroads gathering in indiana, i am sure some of the folks there will check out the foamie. perhaps some of them will be willing to come back here and report of the strenght. ratkitty from here, has already reported the strenght of this.

i am also, convincing myself that it will be just fine on that nose bleed bridge. mine is small enough that i know it will be just fine, it will not blow off the bridge. now my second build, which is taller, well lets say i will never cross that nose bleed bridge with the second one. :lol:
i may even take a trip down to visit gpw in that one.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 13, 2011 9:14 am

GPW wrote:Cone , we Always test on scrap bits FIRST!!! Not like it's a big gamble .... especially if you use my Thrifty method of materials acquisition ;) ... The trailer part can always be used for something else ... should you not like it ... :o Probably would make a great garden/lawnmower shed. playhouse for the kiddies , or Luxury Doghouse :D

that is so funny you mention this. we put up some fencing and left the gate section open. i am so thinking about how to use my canvas/covered foam construction to make an arched gateway. this stuff is so easy that even i can do it. all i need is the jig saw.

i am working on the hubby to fix up a place that is covered so i have my own work space. i don't want to take his santuary over. plus his space is too far out back. i like to work right outside my back door.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Fri May 13, 2011 9:21 am

GPW: So lets get this right, i have to sack the gardener, have some kids and get a dog. Not sure the wife is going to like your ideas but i will go and ask.

Back in a minute:

Ok, I asked and she was not sure about sacking dear old Jim, he's been doing it a long time. She's also not sure that kids would a good idea at our age but shes willing to give it a try, and I can also have a dog as long as i feed it, take it for walks and clean up after it.

I will have to think about this....................

:lol:
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 11:32 am

Cone ... might make a good Planter , save all the rest ... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perchance a small dog ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri May 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Cone you might try asking one of the construction companies where they get foam without the foil. You might also ask the places that make walk in custom refrigeration units. :thumbsup: Welcome and don't forget the camera!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to Foamies