Bonding Foam to Luan ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby bonnie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:32 am

Now that's a cool idea I could manage. Thank you for the info.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 pm

What would I use for the vent? I have space bags and could use those for smaller items, but would build the larger ones as Glenn has suggested. :) This could be really fun. Especially for decorative items, like doors and such. :twisted:
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Bonnie, we had a special piece of PVC pipe with a plastic valve on it , and it fit a reduction adapter that fit the Shop Vac hose ... All Hardware store items , or whatever you have around ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby IASCOTT » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:45 pm

I did a test piece with luan and Titebond II. Try as I might with just my hands I can't peal the luan from the foam. Sticking a screwdriver between the foam and luan just damages the foam where the screwdriver is.

Scott
IASCOTT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:58 am

Scott, we’ve has similar results in the past gluing wood to foam (wings) .... we did however let the PVA glue dry for a long time (2 + weeks ) before putting the part in service ... It took that long for the water content in the glue to evaporate through the thin wood allowing the glue to cure inside ... Some panels we pulled apart prematurely still had damp glue inside :o

I think the reason canvas is easier to get off of foam is when you bend/flex the canvas the smaller surface area (one thin line) under stress fails sooner than the stiff non flexing ply , with all the surface area still attached ... which benefits everything by making the structure that much stronger ...

Imagine trying to remove a whole piece of canvas all at once .... Ain’t gonna’ happen init ? .... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:53 am

bonnie wrote:What would I use for the vent? I have space bags and could use those for smaller items, but would build the larger ones as Glenn has suggested. :) This could be really fun. Especially for decorative items, like doors and such. :twisted:

maybe use the valve off one of your smaller bags?
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:02 am

SJ, That’s absolutely free Ken BRILLIANT!!! ... space bag valve ... so Simple ... Whoa !!!! :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:41 pm

That's a great idea! Thanks
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:35 am

I've been contemplating how to give a good press while on camper and come up with the idea to take a deflated air mattress place over the glued surface with many straps around and have the straps with a little slack and simply air up the mattress and press the surface evenly.

I've been using 3M 30NF neoprene contact cement to stick my foam to my luan and it sticks like crazy. I had to do some circle cutouts for vents through the luan and foam and I cannot pull the foam off the 4" circles at all and this was just putting the luan on and pressing with hands to flatten no vacuum or air press used. A gallon is plenty enough to do your walls and a tip is go to harbor freight and get the cheapest HVLP sprayer you can find and apply it that way and you will love life. Water based so no toxins or nausea during application. I did add tight bond 3 lines on my 1x2 runners just for insurance for the wood bonding and believe me its all stuck for many years to come.

Its rated foam safe and takes roughly 30 min on avg to flash the water off and be ready for the contact application. Used it to stick my aluminum to my luan as well.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks Steve, that sounds like just the ticket !!!! :thumbsup: Where did you get your 30NF ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:37 am

This luan bonded on foam thing sounds like it's perfect for my next project.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 am

One thing to keep in mind about contact cement is to read the instructions carefully. The stuff I used required rolling out the top surface with 50 pounds of force. I also read that clamping for 30 minutes doubles the glue strength. I didn't read the instructions on the teardrop and the outer layer of Filon oil canned because I didn't roll it out right or vacuum clamp it.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:14 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:I've been contemplating how to give a good press while on camper and come up with the idea to take a deflated air mattress place over the glued surface with many straps around and have the straps with a little slack and simply air up the mattress and press the surface evenly.

I've been using 3M 30NF neoprene contact cement to stick my foam to my luan and it sticks like crazy. I had to do some circle cutouts for vents through the luan and foam and I cannot pull the foam off the 4" circles at all and this was just putting the luan on and pressing with hands to flatten no vacuum or air press used. A gallon is plenty enough to do your walls and a tip is go to harbor freight and get the cheapest HVLP sprayer you can find and apply it that way and you will love life. Water based so no toxins or nausea during application. I did add tight bond 3 lines on my 1x2 runners just for insurance for the wood bonding and believe me its all stuck for many years to come.

Its rated foam safe and takes roughly 30 min on avg to flash the water off and be ready for the contact application. Used it to stick my aluminum to my luan as well.

Steve, that looks like the ideal product, but like ALL 3M products, it's pricey. $136 gal. I will have to think about that awhile. Do you use it like most contact cements applying to both sides?
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Larry C wrote:Steve, that looks like the ideal product, but like ALL 3M products, it's pricey. $136 gal. I will have to think about that awhile. Do you use it like most contact cements applying to both sides?
Yes you coat both sides and thin enough to spray from a gun so coverage is very good. Get the green one so you can see how well you have it laid on and once it goes from a lime green to dark green its ready to contact together. Go to an actual fastenal if you have one and they will quote a much better price in person than online.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:20 pm

I just bought a quart of 3M Fastbond 30NF for ~$50 through Amazon. But it came from R. S. Hughes in Sunnyvale CA, and their website says "No Minimum Order"

I'm planning to roll the cement on to my aluminum trailer walls and the rigid styrofoam insulation I'm attaching to the inside.

I'll let you know how it works out.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies