Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 pm

oh yeah. we are so small of a community here. you have to support what takes place. i am just a bit upset my son just didn't take to the music end of school. but at least he did not quit. i refuse to allow him to quit anything. i made the mistake of allowing my daughter to quit when she was young. learned my lesson. but on a positive note, he is doing well in art. maybe i have an artist on my hands. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby DJT » Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Wobbly Wheels wrote:
we could order a palette of this stuff and share

Hehe...or just one big block of it and carve out whatever isn't a trailer...

It's not really thrifty, but you would make some amazing designs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij7dStSA ... ata_player
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 am

DJ, Amazing and wonderful !!!!

OK, it's a new day ... new thoughts .... :o
I've been wracking my little old brain trying to find some cloth about 4-6" wide as the final trim over all my seams ... Just trying to make it look "neat"... Digging around in my "trailer supply" area , I found a roll of fiberglass tape ... :o Now I Could just use some T2 and fix that over the seams ... would look good (neat) , and a chance to try out the T2 with Fglas... Don't think it's "cheating" .... cause' I had it ...would add a bit of strength over the already overlapped fabric... Any thoughts ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 7:02 am

GPW wrote:DJ, Amazing and wonderful !!!!

OK, it's a new day ... new thoughts .... :o
I've been wracking my little old brain trying to find some cloth about 4-6" wide as the final trim over all my seams ... Just trying to make it look "neat"... Digging around in my "trailer supply" area , I found a roll of fiberglass tape ... :o Now I Could just use some T2 and fix that over the seams ... would look good (neat) , and a chance to try out the T2 with Fglas... Don't think it's "cheating" .... cause' I had it ...would add a bit of strength over the already overlapped fabric... Any thoughts ???

can you test it first? i would so love to know how it will work.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 7:07 am

Figured the trailer would be the test ... we know it will stick Fglas cloth down , having done that long ago on wing joiners...Just didn't want to offend anyones "thrifty" sensibilities... :roll:
Canvas would work fine for this ... just couldn't find any that size with a "factory" edge on both sides ... Could have cut some strips with the glue method to prevent fraying , just found the tape and thought, why not? Easy !! And as I recall the tape wasn't that dear either... another thrifty alternative ... sorta'..
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 7:18 am

so you can glue down the fiberglass cloth? does the cloth acts just like the canvas does? does it dry harder? any details? (in laywoman terms)
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 7:26 am

Eagle , just think of it as a much stronger canvas... Nothing special other than that ... The binder(glue/resin) determines the "hardness" ... In plain language , it'll take the Bear longer to claw through that area... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

And for those that want even MORE reinforcing for the wall to floor join ... well there ya' go ... ;) Nice uniform seams as a benefit ... "professional" looking ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 9:05 am

Here's what the fiberglass tape looks like ... the ends will be run under the floor for more strengthening... Image

And that door ... Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 19, 2011 9:08 am

Looking good GPW

Do you know the specs of the glass?

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 9:10 am

it looks to be the 6oz. glass... Not the real heavy stuff ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu May 19, 2011 9:32 am

DJT wrote:
Wobbly Wheels wrote:
we could order a palette of this stuff and share

Hehe...or just one big block of it and carve out whatever isn't a trailer...

It's not really thrifty, but you would make some amazing designs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij7dStSA ... ata_player

I was working on a contract a few years ago and we were building 28' 'lobster boats' for a well known US company. They shipped us a plug from which to build our mold - it was an entire hull plug that had been CNC shaped, then faired and finished by hand.

Very cool piece of equipment.....
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 am

W2, great if you have the money ... That probably leaves about 99.97% of TD ers out ... Fun to watch though ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu May 19, 2011 10:28 am

Hehe...it even left out our little shop, GPW. We always did our molds & plugs by hand - the cost of one of those units and someone to run it will pay for a LOT of hours of hand fairing !!

Still, if wishes were horses...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 10:37 am

W2, heck i'd have one too ... if :roll:

Got all the glass tape down , glued and secured to the floor bottom on each end ... Just the "look" I wanted , and not hard to apply ... the Fiberglass tape is a little stiffer than the canvas fabric and has to be massaged a bit to smooth out ...but it Works , and I still have tape left over ... :o
Feel like the tape forms a fiberglass "band " around the structure now ... has to be Stronger... :thinking:

On another note , after I applied the top canvas , noticed an oil spot, even smelled like motor oil :o .... about 10" X 10" ... Mixed up a little spic n span and water , painted it on , scrubbed with the brush , rinsed with clean water , and it dried clean .... No adhesion problems ... Just FYI
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 10:54 am

when you used the glasscloth, did you use full strenght t2? or diluted? does it dry clear? can you see thru it to the canvas? does it cover/hide the seam?

i might have to get some and check into this. if it works the way i am thinking, i will take that crap of a strip off my tear and use this.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies