Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 10:57 am

Yes Full strength...
Yes sorta' yellow translucent ...I could see my guide line underneath
Yes
Yes
Verrrrrrrry Happy with it ... :D

Here's the other side ... Image
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 11:01 am

i hate to ask this, but could you take a closer pic, more of a close up? please :worship:

i am having a hard time with it being transparent and yet it covers/hides the seam?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 11:09 am

How Zat ? Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 19, 2011 11:13 am

Did the T2 fill the cloth or you going to have to do more for a smoother surface? Or you going for the textured look?

:lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 11:15 am

GPW wrote:How Zat ? Image

great thanks. yes i see what you mean. you can see thru it. but once painted...

this leaves a seam though, well an edge. and i guess there is no why to hide that fact.

you know i just might go get some of that and remove the crap i have on now and work with that. i know when i try to remove the stuff i have on now, might not be so easy. i have the feeling it will tear off the layer of paint.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 11:15 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Did the T2 fill the cloth or you going to have to do more for a smoother surface? Or you going for the textured look?

Randy

can you make it smooth with t2?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am

Funny you should ask that .... I was just going to post another little trick I just discovered.... had one little area where it didn't seem to stick as well because the cloth was "bent"/ creased on one edge for a short distance.... Waited till the glue dried, went out with the household iron (the old one, not Her Worship's ) Set on synthetics (275F by my IR thermometer) Ironed those trouble spots right down and smooth .. Also noticed that the seam where I ironed was Very smooth also ... so I ironed ALL the seams ... the little sticky glue bits that seem to haunt the edges, producing a rough texture, were all smoothed out , melted down .... NICE !!! One of the benefits of using T2... thermoplastic at high temps.
I'm thinking now a good coat or two of primer will fill in all the rest ... and if we wanted to sand that (which we don't ) the overall paint job would be very smooth ... not like a car , but smooth as far as this goes .... Me , i'm going for the textured Vinyl look .. Roll it on with a big nappy roller ... Yaaaa Hoo !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 11:48 am

well now it looks like i have to do some experimenting with this stuff.

off topic: you don't have to watch. just in case you feel like it though
my son is a trumpet player on the far right side, 3rd boy in. he's the one with the black shirt. they could wear white shirts, but he does not have white.

Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Thu May 19, 2011 11:54 am

eaglesdare wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:Did the T2 fill the cloth or you going to have to do more for a smoother surface? Or you going for the textured look?

Randy

can you make it smooth with t2?

May be setting myself up for a LOT more work than I want; but I have the body working tools to accomplish it. How about using something similar to spot putty to fair the edges of the tape and fill the bigger thread weave? Maybe the vinyl spackling mentioned for filling small dings and nicks? Would mean lots of block sanding. Overall, it might be worth it.

I know the answer to this. Experiment and report the results.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Dad, it "could" be taken there... but you know the labor involved... :o :roll:

Eagle , get that boy a white shirt .... :thumbsup: Might get it a little big , so he can grow into it ... Might have more gigs coming up ...
BTW , I started on the trumpet , my parents rented one, I made dying cow sounds for a couple months and then one day the trumpet just disappeared... :roll: Then I saved up and bought a guitar .... been playing ever since (50 years) ... to much local acclaim I might add... PM your address , and I'll send you our CD...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu May 19, 2011 12:20 pm

i do not think he will be involved in anymore "gigs". he is not taking band next year. shame. i keep getting him guitars, cuz he says that is what he would like. but right now he is just too much into the stupid games on those game systems. oh well.

sorry about going off topic, just wanted to share.

so are you going to be doing artistic painting on yours? cupcakes perhaps?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby DJT » Thu May 19, 2011 12:57 pm

GPW, looks good! And for sure it'll add strength. I think that I might even have some of that kicking around here somewhere. Another trick to try and get a smoother finish that we used to use patching canoes is to apply a layer of plastic wrap over the wet resin,smooth it out and peel off when cured. Might not work with the TB though, since it has to evaporate(?) to dry?

Dave
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Eagle , Still don't know about the paint job yet .... I have a gallon of Almond, Brown , and Hunters Green... Might be fine for a Camo job , but maybe not for this ... Still looking for that right color combination ... trying to keep it simple .... I could always paint it with a "scene" like the model was, but that might be Too Much ... Kinda' liking the little "RV" look to it now ...Primed it should be nice ...

DJ, yes , sadly the plastic wrap only works with epoxy or other non evaporating resins ... Thinking the textured finish would hold up better, easier to repair too ... Besides I like that cloth look ... my smooth sided Fiberglas TT is a PIA to polish ... grrrr!!!! Very smooth isn't always easy to maintain ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Thu May 19, 2011 2:01 pm

GPW:

I have a iPod, my brother has an iPhone, my mate has an iPad and you go one better and get an

iRon

This whole thing is getting out of hand when i have to tell my wife I am going down the garage to iron the camper :lol:

She will think i had gone mad. :?
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu May 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Mine has confirmed that understanding some time ago ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Iron the camper , doesn't everybody do that ??? We will be ... :o :roll: :thumbsup: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies