Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby desertmoose » Tue May 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Don't have a picture, but google "Top Flite woodpecker". It's used to perforate balsa prior to covering in model airplane building.

Has multiple SHARP wheels similar to the pounce wheel shown above.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby Conedodger » Tue May 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Like this

It looks like something they used for torture 300 years ago :(
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby 68galaxie » Tue May 24, 2011 3:53 pm

My AC on ball bearing slides

The reason I went with the rack mount slides is I can mount them on the bottom of the AC and don't have to worry about boxing the sides to mount drawer slides.

http://www.amazon.com/rackmount-3-secti ... B003M0H1AM

Load rating up to 145 Lbs
68galaxie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 24, 2011 3:59 pm

I like it. I did something similar...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue May 24, 2011 5:03 pm

W2 ... could be ??? I just had it !!
Moose ... Yes ... that would work !!! The one I saw at Amazon was like a paint roller with many needles sticking off it ...
Cone ... people 300 years ago were weird eh... to torture people now , we cut of their internet ... or make them go through British Customs... :lol:

68G , Mike .... Those are EXACTLY what we need !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: NICE !!!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Tue May 24, 2011 5:19 pm

British Customs, your joking. I flew into Miami once and the customs guy asked me "Do you have a gun sir?" I said "no", he said "Oh, you better take mine....."
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby Conedodger » Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 pm

I have just posted this in another area but thought as it may well be thrifty I will post it again here as I need your input Guys.

Idea that just might work: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have been thinking about the floor in this picture

Obviously the foam is used for insulation and for weight saving. In this case he is covering the floor with 1/8" ply.

Its a great floor but took 27 hours for finish which compared to Eagle and GPW they almost completed a Foamie body in that time.

I then started thinking, once its skinned its just a very thin box with partitions inside. Each partition is filled with a cut piece of foam. However he spent ages glueing it all together and filling all the gaps so it does not move. Each stage had to be clamped until dry.

My idea is to do the same wooden grid and fit the top and bottom but without any foam inside. I will then inject spray foam (Cavity wall insulation) through small holes in the underfloor to fill the voids. The holes will be simple to fill.

Anyone who has used spray foam will be aware it sticks to almost everything, and if there is an area you dont want it to stick to simply cover it with cling film.

Spray foam is available in aerosol cans so no mixing, very little waste and no need for a trailer to fetch it. Its available at every DIY store and even on ebay.

Once its injected through the holes it expands and would fill the void in the same way as cut foam but with one huge advantage.

One of the biggest problems with pink and blue foam is a suitable glue and having to clamp it together while it dries. TB2 does not work where it cant get to the air and GG is a bit messy and foams so has to be cleaned up after the clamps come off, and epoxy has to be mixed and weighted down.

pods8 did this

Once you have made your floor box (or wall if you want) you would inject it and as the spray foam expands it seals all the holes and at the same time sticks like "S**t to a blanket" to glue all the parts together in every corner.

No filling, No clamping, no paving slabs, no leaving it in the same place until dry, you could inject it and lift it up and put it out of the way and it will dry in an hour.

Can anyone see a problem with this and will it still be a foamie?
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Tue May 24, 2011 7:36 pm

off topic: here is a pic of the fire

the fire started in an old chicken coop in the woods. less than a 1/4 of a mile, maybe 1/8 of a mile. anyway, the fire was bad and the trees around were catching on fire also and of course the underbrush. thank goodness we do have a creek that runs inbetween where the fire was and where we live. although that would never stop the fire from jumping thru the trees.

the fire was really tall and going up trees and it burned a wire on the telephone poles. which i suppose was our internet wire/cable. but it fell to the ground and sparks were flying. must have had 8 fire trucks here.

the fire was still going today, but its under control.

so all is well here with us.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Tue May 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Wow!!! That's some picture!!

Glad you are ok.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 25, 2011 6:40 am

How does a fire start in a chicken coup ??? Spontaneous chicken combustion ?? :roll: Glad you're OK !!! :thumbsup:

Cone , since we have no rules about what a Foamie really is (not critically defined) , most any trailer using foam for construction may be "called" a foamie ... Even if we add wood or bits of metal (or concrete pavers for a weighted floor :lol: ) still a foamie ... :thumbsup: 8) :D

Still applying the last of the reinforcing strips inside ... not an easy job working overhead (old clothes recommended ... and a hat ) I had to use Eagles method and coat the wall/ceiling , then coat the cloth (undiluted T2)...only way I could get it to stick overhead... works fine , just messy ...

Now another question arises ..... Wanting to have a sorta' "finished" interior , was thinking of mixing some sheetrock "mud" with the paint and trying to roll on some "texture" just for a more interior -like appearance ... Any thoughts on that ???

WARNING: Do NOT use Wal Mart paint ..... After all that decorating ,my Foamie is showing signs of water streaking :o .... Hasn't rained yet , just the morning dew dripping down the sides has led to "water spotting " ...grrrrrrrrrrr!!!! I'm learning to Hate Wal Mart ... They offer no real savings ... just cheap products that don't work ... False Economy !!!
:twisted:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Anita Rae » Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 am

Just wondering. Would there be any advantage to putting the reinforcement strips on first and then putting the fabric layer on?
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 am

sorry you are having a problem with that paint.

do you think think the non use of diluted tb2/3 makes any difference? you did not use it and i did. just a thought.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 25, 2011 8:34 am

NAAAA!!! It 's just that paint is (excuse my French) CRAP !!! Worst paint I've ever used ... and being a professional Artist since 1970 , I've used a LOT of paint ... This stuff is the WORST !!! :x
But it's Camo , so as long as it doesn't go runny on me , it's OK ... just a little streaking probably makes it blend in better ... road dirt might help too ... Camo ... Gotta' be positive !!!
I just won't EVER be foolish enough to use it again .. :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 25, 2011 7:47 pm

It was a HOT one today .. worked a little while finishing up (not) those inside strips ... just a couple to go ... then I have to figure a way to texture the inside , just like a house wall.. Figured it would hide a lot of sins (those little frayed edges) and would look more "appropriate"... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:55 pm

GPW wrote:It was a HOT one today .. worked a little while finishing up (not) those inside strips ... just a couple to go ... then I have to figure a way to texture the inside , just like a house wall.. Figured it would hide a lot of sins (those little frayed edges) and would look more "appropriate"... :thinking:

I know this doesn't "exactly" go along with "thrifty" but hull liner would cover a lot of the "sins"
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies