Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:38 am

Lol...he got a plaque, not a plague.

Congrats, you sound like a proud grand-momma eagle !
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:09 am

Wobbly Wheels wrote:Lol...he got a plaque, not a plague.

Congrats, you sound like a proud grand-momma eagle !

lol thank you.
yes i am very proud of him. and so sorry for spelling that word wrong. after i typed it, i reread it and all i could think about was the black plague. i was like "wait, he did not get that"

then no matter how i typed it, it just didn't look right. oh well, glad i am not in school anymore. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Nice !!!! bet you're Proud !!! :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Come on Eagle, you are just not old enough to be a grandma.

Colin scores 3 points :lol:
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Conedodger wrote:Come on Eagle, you are just not old enough to be a grandma.

Colin scores 3 points :lol:

well thank you very much! i have 4 grandbabies. my daughter started very young. i have a son only 1 yr difference in age from my oldest grandson. LOL

in the next 2 days we are going to have a house full of kids, ages 28 and down to 1 yr. hubby is bringing his 3 from previous marriage down for the summer. so a lot of food has to come into this house. guess i'll be making some cupcakes, or i will have them make em..

wonder if i can get them to finish the new foamie. :thinking:

hubby does need to hurry up and get back home, i need his help fixing the door and a/c spot before our trip on friday. looking forward to the 4th trip this year.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Granny Eagle , don't feel alone ... I'm Old enough to be a Great Grandpa Bear ... :o But am Blessed and cursed with No children .... so I can still be the Big Kid ... :thumbsup: 8) :lol:

Four trips !!! That certainly proves that Foamies work ... :D And what , this upcoming trip will be the longest trip so far ... Cross country Foamies .... Too COOL !!! 8) 8) 8)

Got my window piano hinged and sealed with rubber weatherstripping ... camera batteries are charging .... was going to cut the hole for it today , but it's raining ... Thankfully again ... My garden rain barrels were almost empty after the month long drought ... and the grass is actually beginning to grow again , hopefully covering all the foam dust in the yard ... Since it doesn't decompose or rot , it would be there for years and years ... Good for Foamie trailers , bad for the landscaping ... and the wife will be Very Happy when she no longer has to look at it ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm sooooo looking forward to this weekend! I'm going on the same trip as Proud-Granny-Eagle (congrats grandkiddo!).

Glad you are charging the camera battery, GPW. I'm interested in that window you made. Very very nice.

I think Eagle needs to run away to my house after all those kids arrive. We can work on her foamie doors in my driveway.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:41 pm

this trip isn't the long cross country one. but it is on the other side of the state for me.

yes i can't wait to see those new pics.

thanks patricia.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Questions

Postby dwgriff1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:45 pm

I just spent parts of three days slogging through this thread. There is a lot of information.

Why not squeegee the glue into the fabric. Wouldn't less glue set up faster, and might it be just as strong? A second or even third coat could be squeegeed.

I'd like the surface to be smother. Do you think the paint will give enough protection to the spackle or dry wall mud?

With this really light weight box, why not use a "frame" like on Andrew's Ultra Light?

Look up Andrew's hopper window design. I used that idea in my tear and it has worked out well.

My foamie project will be a short cap for my pickup. Not complex nor glamorous.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:34 am

i did attempt putting the glue onto the fabric, and at some times it does work better. but in general, you would need a large place to lay out your canvas to apply the glue. i think for me, it was just easier to apply the glue to the foam first, then stretch the canvas on top. kiss

not sure about that putty stuff going on top of the paint. i don't know how to describe what mine is like, but i'll try: any thing liquid slides off. it does not seem to have a hold ability. so i am not sure about anything sticky on top of the paint. that would have to be something that would need testing first, by someone that would like to try that.
now maybe if it was applied on top of the primer? maybe that would work better? i just don't know. but i have a hard time even getting the tb2/3 to stick on the paint. it does, but it needs to be clamped down. not sure how easy that will peel off either. i am working on a strip of canvas to cover up the ugly seams.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 am

OK, here's the window pics : Image
You'll notice I left the masking tape on around the plexiglass so , once mounted , we can match the camo paint on the window frame ... I did save some of those colors for just such an occasion ...

Eagle, Rat , hope youse' guys have a Great time !!! :thumbsup: :D

Dw, everything you suggest works ...
I mixed the drywall mud with the paint for the interior finish ... 3 pounds per gallon ... seems to work fine .. Nice texture , and I didn't put it on too thick , so it's more flexible "down the road" ... Priming and sanding can make it as smooth as you want ... lots more work , for a finish better/easier replicated with another material ... IMHO... I like the canvas look and a couple coats of Latex makes it pretty smooth ... :D

Yeah this thread is rather long ... sorta like reading " Gone with the Foam " .. :lol:

Eagle we try to have all the gluing done before paint ... T2 doesn't stick well to paint , unless it's well cured (a week or more) and sanded well first ... so just roughen up that paint and the glue should stick .... either that or just use the paint to stick the cloth down ... Paint sticks to paint , no problem ... Probably easier and better ... Once you stick the strips down , it's already painted ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 am

oh great! i never thought to sand it up a bit first.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 am

your windows look great! i love them.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 am

Eagle, try the paint !!! Paint is just colored glue , really !!
Thanks , I'm going to try to install it today ... still have to make the other little one for the door ... I was putting that off trying to find a small round window instead , but looks like the home made one will be the cheapest @ $0.00 :o :roll: Thrifty sometimes requires a bit more Labor ... since I'm retired , I guess that doesn't count for much ... can't charge myself ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:28 am

GPW

Window looks great! I built some tilt in windows for my house when I bought the place and had no money for new windows. 25 years later, still there working in good shape.

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies