Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:29 am

i do believe you about the paint. but i have an extemely low amount left of paint. pretty much just the remains. but i do have lots of glue. the remaining paint should (i hope) be just enough to paint on top of that glue.
i don't want to buy more paint right now.

couldn't you just cut out a circle from old scrap wood, then put that cheaper plexiglass stuff you have on that and attach to your door? or rather than wood, use some scrape foam and do the same? that is what i think i will do when i get to my next. or the new doors on mine.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:49 am

Pat I hear ya' !!! Seems like the better stuff is Home made/crafted... with Pride, Quality, and Longevity a primary consideration !!! :thumbsup: 8) I've watched "Norm" since he's been on ... always loved how his work fit perfectly , which really helped my guitar making years later... and Teardrop making :D

Eagle , don't you have any other paint lying about,same kind , different color (you're going to paint over it anyway , right ? ) That would be the better choice , as the paint forms a chemical/mechanical bond with itself , whereas sanded paint /glue depends on the "tooth" of the surface for a mechanical attachment of unknown dubious adhesion... :roll: You may want to test both combinations first .... pick a small inconspicuous spot on the trailer and have at it .. :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 am

oh i see what you are saying. i do have paint, but its old, will that make any difference?

i was just thinking though, that i should get out there and paint the one piece i already have on. it looks horrible right now, and since we are heading out on friday, i gotta get it done.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 am

Get it Done !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby squatch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 am

I'm liking the idea of tip-in windows mentioned above. I have scrap plexi laying around. That would solve opening the windows a little if it's raining and be much easier to latch than an awning style from the inside. Just tip in from top with a chain or strap to limit amount. Saves finding windows when I can make those. You folks are a wealth of ideas.
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:46 am

SQ, we're just full of it .... ideas that is .... :lol:

Here's the window glued in ... I just did like Big Mike did and took the saber saw to the opening ... nice and clean ... a little caulk , a little paint and we'll be done on the outside ... Just have to make a frame for the inner window opening as per usual ... :thumbsup: That was Quick... < 30min :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:53 am

now that is cool. :applause: no problem with cutting the canvas/foam?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 am

Here's the inside view ... Image
The inside of the frame is flush with the wall, the moulding will cover all the inner bits cleanly ... The outside of the window frame sticks out by 1/4" ... perfect for caulking ... and paint...

The foam /fabric cut Cleanly and easily ... Just like Mike said .... no scoring /measuring /drilling silliness... Quick and direct ... it didn't take two minutes to cut the whole opening , the (edit:) Jig saw just zipped right through it .. ;)
Last edited by GPW on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:35 pm

GPW wrote: the S saw just zipped right through it .. ;)

A sabre saw? I would have suggested a jig saw! :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:09 pm

... is there a difference ?... I dunno' ... The one like You used ... :thumbsup:

Oops , I see now , my Bad !!! :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:58 am

Adhesion test results .... After sitting outside in the very hot sun baking for a while I was concerned with how well the canvas stuck to the foam ... So after removing that block where the window is now , we tore the canvas from the foam .... It wasn't easy and it wasn't difficult , somewhere in between ... So now , I don't really worry about the canvas coming off .... It's stuck pretty well on the sanded foam ... Still wondering what a perforating tool would add to the adhesion ? There was No tearing out of the foam , the glue separated cleanly, but not easily ... Just thinking we can get the canvas to stick even better ... It does stick Very well to the ply floor ... and to itself ... That just doesn't want to come off ... at all ... Thinking on the Next Foamie . I'll get a perforating tool and try that ... Just trying to make the Best Foamie possible ... anybody else got a better idea ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:40 am

GPW, that is a pretty cool looking camper. How much does the unit weigh? I am assuming it's light enough for one person to pick up. :thinking:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby squatch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:29 am

GPW wrote:... is there a difference ?... I dunno' ... The one like You used ... :thumbsup:

Oops , I see now , my Bad !!! :oops:

When I was growing up a jig /scroll saw was table mounted and a sabre saw was hand held. But according to the web the small handheld is a jig saw but a sabre saw is what most of us call a Sawzall (brand name) or reciricating saw. It also refers to a non powered Keyhole saw as well. Because they look like a sabre or sword. I think for most folks all the above have become generic. As long as it cuts the foam!

I'm really liking that shape the more I look at it. Especially for a smaller camper. I love the Teardrop look but that would be a much roomier 4x8! Great job.
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:17 am

Steve, haven't weighed it yet , but even with the new heavy window and all those cushions , I can still pick it up on either end with one hand ... just rough guessing , somewhere in the neighborhood of ... 150lbs... ???
SQ, it was the simplest shape I could come up with and not be a BOX... Certainly nothing original , sorta' Weekender ish ... The Easiest shape to make ,and still have some angles in there to reinforce the basic shape (as the rounded ones do ), have a modicum of Aerodynamics , and no foam bending required... Still got my 2" thick roof in the simplest manner ... Learned a LOT from making the model TD .... then I realized how to do it Easier ... :roll: This was the result ..
Hindsight: It would have been perfect if it was 6' Wide ...inside !!!! This one is only really big enough inside for me , or two normal sized people... :o

painting my window frame at the moment ... blending in with the Camo ... I'll post pics when it's dry ...
You guys aren't tired yet of all these pics huh ??? let me know if it's too much .... just trying to visually document the process so others may benefit ... Hopefully !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:25 am

there is no such thing as "too many pics!" :applause:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies