Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 am

OK, here's the window finished ... paint still drying is why it's open ...
Now on to making the one for the door ... Image

Rained last night again .... checked this morning ... No leaks ... The rubber seals did their job ... :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:54 am

gosh, that looks good. and from the pics, it looks like wood. i don't notice the canvas. glad your rain proof! :applause:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am

GPW wrote:OK, here's the window finished ... paint still drying is why it's open ...
Now on to making the one for the door ... Image

Rained last night again .... checked this morning ... No leaks ... The rubber seals did their job ... :D

A very professional job!! Well done, my foamling, well done!

Hugs,
Patricia

:applause: :thumbsup:
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:48 am

Rat , Thanks ..!!! It did take rather a while to make ... but I couldn't beat the price... :D

Eagle , It IS Wood !!! The window ... All Alaskan cedar ... Nice stuff (freebie) , but has an odd smell ... sorta' Cedar mixed with pencil erasers... Odd !!! Maybe that keeps the bugs away ??? Just painted and glued in with Gorilla Glue and caulked...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:21 pm

"foamling" ?
lol

GPW - how are you latching it closed ?
Is your frame rigid enough that the window compresses the weatherstrip evenly ?
Probably not a huge concern where you are but winter camping in a drafty trailer is no fun. At least, it wasn't on my last Xmas trip, lol.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:32 pm

W2 , right now it has a small screen door hook ... When I go back to the Hdwe. I'll get a proper window (and door) latch ... The frame also has metal L braces at every corner in the rear ... making it all very rigid... No worries... The window on its own wants to protrude out a little bit , so I have to compress the seals pretty good ... Nice tight fit ...

Winter camping .... Only if I Have to .. :o

Here's a drawing to see what the current TD would look like 2 feet wider...

"May the Foam be with you !!!! "
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 pm

no gpw, i meant the whole thing, the sides/walls look like wood!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Oh, OK ... !!! The canvas does have a little bit of a shine to it ... Must have been the FOUR coats of cheap paint ... :o Stuff didn't cover very well , had to keep painting it ...over and over ...grrrrr!! Just Kilz primer underneath ... brush painted ...
Been raining on it , No problems... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Got my roof vent installed ... I need a trim ring for the inside ... this one didn't come with one ... :oops: Cut the hole with a JIG saw.. fit the vent ... applied silicon/latex caulk all around the roof where it needed it to seal ... stuck it in , 4-SS screws hold the corners ... Tomorrow I'll apply the Eternabond tape ... That should do it ... Image

Gosh, that window and vent lets an enormous amount of light in ... :o

Come a long way from this ... :shock: Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:05 am

yup, you have come a long way baby... :lol: your first post to this thread is dated 14 aug 2010.

"Use the Foam, GPW"
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:08 am

Whoa , almost a year to build a Foamie .... Gosh , I sure am slow ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 am

Comparing your first and last picture, it is hard to believe these are the same camper. Amazing. You have done a really nice job. Wish I had watched your thread before I started building with wood. Mine weighs a ton, not to mention the insulation value of your walls.
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 am

Steve , never too late to start another TD build ... Once we discovered this site (over 5 years ago :o ), we developed a Severe Addiction the TD building ... :o They're so much FUN to make ... but once one is finished (or near finished) I always start thinking about the Next one ... :roll: :lol:
Really , once you have the materials , a Foamie is a real quick build ... not to mention very THRIFTY ... Figured it took me so long because I had to explain myself all along the way ... :roll: :D
The second one (bigger) shouldn't take long at all ... I have all the "stuff" and know what to do , and what to expect now ... and I plan to clear out a space in my Studio so I can build it inside ... where it's Comfortable ... :thumbsup:

Best way of assuring the TD will fit in the Garage is to build it there ... ;) Since I don't do much camping anymore unless I have to, or go off somewhere painting , I'd like to make one as a small office, rest area, Mini Man Cave, getaway sorta thing ... 8)
Last edited by GPW on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:37 am

GPW wrote: Figured it took me so long because I had to explain myself all along the way ... :roll: :D

Best way of assuring the TD will fit in the Garage is to build it there ... ;) Since I don't do much camping anymore unless I have to , I'd like to make one as a small office, rest area, Mini Man Cave, getaway sorta thing ... 8)

i certaintly hope that first line wasn't directed towards anyone we know! :oops: :lol:

and that man cave idea is awesome!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:48 am

Eagle , you have to admit the idea of a Foamie Trailer was a bit "Radical" at the time ... :shock: Many non-believers, dissenters ... all it took was one brave soul to make one and go camping in it .. You made it happen !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D Big THANKS !!!!

And really , aren't there times when you'd like to tell Hubby to go to his cave ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And then there's always the thought of the "Rolling Sports Bar " ... Flat screen TV , Cooler of Ice cold Beer, sports posters on the wall , Christmas lights , and a big comfy bean bag chair to slouch in... and a small bag of potato chips ... :D Manly Heaven !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies