Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:32 am

16'? Here ya go... in the pop up style!!! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:53 am

Ooh !!! That would be Very Nice !!! 8) 8) 8) Thanks !!!! :thumbsup: Much more aerodynamic than a "box" ... looks better too ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:34 am

mikeschn wrote:Image

Hmmm...thinking 'winter warrior' with the way you've drawn that top...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Gosh I really Like the shape with the top extended like that ... would be easy to make in Foam just as it is ... 8)

Good news , My buddy is coming over in the morning and we're going to prep the boat trailer for the shell ... Should have this wrapped up soon ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:23 pm

GPW wrote:Gosh I really Like the shape with the top extended like that ... would be easy to make in Foam just as it is ... 8)

Good news , My buddy is coming over in the morning and we're going to prep the boat trailer for the shell ... Should have this wrapped up soon ... :D

So you're going to have my design wrapped up soon? Gee, you're good!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:57 pm

We learn from the Master eh !!!! :thumbsup: Thanks !!!! ;) 8)

Just trying to finish this one (mine) up so I can start on another (yours)... Too much FUN this ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 pm

And a foamie pop top could be lighter than a conventional built one. What ever conventional is around this forum.

Rand
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Wolf, sure would be easy to lift those tops up huh ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:46 pm

I had something to say about easy to lift tops. But I had better not.

:lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:59 am

:lol: Bad Wolf ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Spent a good deal of time in the Heat this morning .... getting the boat trailer prepped for the shell ... removed rollers, sideboards etc.( had to burn the bolts off with the welding machine ... just too rusted) and cut off 5' of the tongue .... welded on a new coupler ... HOT dirty work , got very Sweaty ... Now time for a shower and a well deserved Nap under the fan .. ... will post pics later when I finally cool down ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:51 pm

well i am back. trip number 4 is over :cry:

i must not have a life, because i thought of you guys while traveling. the major thing i came up with is this: i would not/never/no way worry about the foamie shell coming apart on off roads! i would worry more about the trailer itself!. i have never been on such bad roads and driveways in my life, well not while towing anyway. my tear/frame went thru some bumps, and holes. there was so much bouncing and the sounds were horrible. i swear i kept looking to make sure it was still there behind me. not worried about that shell at all. but the tongue had me really nevous i guess because of the sounds. but it all held up just fine. i know i kept thinking to not forget to mention this when i get back. for those that were wondering about how well these would do off road. mine will do just fine off road. i think it would be better off road than on road, at least the roads i hit. they were just horrible.

had to use the tarp again, as we had some rains. actually spent some quality time inside it. watched a movie. enjoyed the foamie. the a/c worked great! thank goodness for that. will post a pic when i load to puter.

i am thinking i might, it is still a might, make my storage/bunk bed area into a galley. the only reason i have not done that is because i like to camp in bear country, and i don't want food or the smells any way near my sleeping area. so far i have kept food and coolers in my car and sleep in the tear. but since i have had the tear i have camped with electric, and i really like that. so i might just still to the electric site and then during the day i can take a trip into bear country and do what ever while there. so i think that will be the next thing to work on the foamie. the good news about that is that i pretty much have everything i need already. since i plan to use foam, and i have that.

gotta catch up on all the threads and get the kids ready for school. still have 2 more days of school.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Eaglesdare

Congrats on your camping. sounds like you are having a great time with your creation. I have been painting my TD and just today have it completed and it is ready to camp again. Might go in a few weeks, see what work is like, should have the beans all planted tomorrow. Unless it rains some more. After that I should be able to sneak out for a few days.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Sounds like a good trip, despite the rain.
That's good to hear your thoughts about the shell, given that you're the resident "high-miler". Gives me a bit more confidence on scaling the size up a bit.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:25 pm

thanks so much wolf! i am loving it more than i would have thought.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies