Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:off to go get organized now.

If you have any extra I will trade you some coleman stoves for it.

Randy

this is what i was confussed about.

gpw: details? 3 of us full grown adults slept in the tear sideways and the grandaughter slept in the bunk. a little tight, but very doable. however the rest of the nights one girl slept in the car.
the only problem i had was the door would not close correctly and then once closed i could not get the lock to turn. i am not sure if i put the cinch strape to tight and it squeezed the foam, or the heat expanded the foam? but its the first time i had a problem with the door. i will check tomorrow and see if its the strape or not. but other than that, i have no other details. LOVE IT! especially pulling into a site at midnight and hopping into bed.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:44 pm

confuzzelded?

I have some coleman stoves to trade for some organization.

I have about 8 or 9 colemans, 2 AGMs and 1 Optimus stove. Need some?

:lol: :lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 am

:lol: oh i get it!!!!!!!!!! but i hate to tell you, i haven't organized and i don't have any to trade. my version of organized is to throw it in the car or tear and go.

seriously i need to get some of that stuff.

oh something i realized also is that i need to bring another extension cord. i have been using one cord for the a/c. but when i need a plug for something else i have to unplug the a/c.

this weekend i did buy a surge protector. so i did have many outlets, but still no cords that would reach. i kept the cord to the a/c running, then had to move my other electric items over to the surge protector. out in the sun! yuck. and no way near the picnic table.

my memory stick is full, so i only got a few pics, have them loaded, but need to get them into photobucket now. so a few more minutes and you can see a few pics.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:18 am

Eagle , Thanks for the details ... Another FUN trip ... another feather in the foamie' cap .... :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:19 am

ready for a couple of pics?

does this view look familiar? i think 4 out of 5 trips i have one of these pics taken because of rain

forgot to put these under, so couldn't get a good fire, took a long, long time to get the water boiling for the first cup. never bothered with a second cup.

went to walmart and bought an electric pot, boiling water in 2 minutes :thumbsup:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:25 am

grandaughter in the bunk
yes i really need to finish the inside.

she took one of me

oh the good life

i will admit those rocks did not feel good on the butt! and a few times i buttomed out :lol: (that was not a typo! hehehe)

i really need to find a way to put a tarp up and beable to stand. love the easy ups, but i can't do them myself.
ratkity is coming down one of these weekends and when she does, i think i will set up camp and then with her help figure out something.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:33 am

that was the last pic. see what i mean about the tarp.

but i will still say. i can do this myself! i do a lot of pulling into sites very late, 10 to midnight hours. years and years i have done this with a tent. i will never go back to tent camping. love just getting out of the car, and just getting into the tear and going to sleep.
..i love that i can put that tarp over the tear and staying dry. unlike all the times with a tent i spent days drying stuff out or having a tent completly collasp during a down pour and in that down pour try to get that tent back up. again, days of drying stuff. then of course there is the taking everything down and figureing out where it goes back into the car.
..with the tear you can literally just throw it all in the tear and be gone.

now the one thing i do have to learn to do is hook it up and unhook it. haven't figured that out yet. but i am getting better at backing it. might take a while to figure out, but i did it all by myself when i got it back home.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 am

About backing up. I have found that it is usually best to counter act your last correction before it looks like you need to. Usually when it looks like it is just right, it is to late.

Looks like you had a good time. Doesn't it seem that your most memorable experiences happen during adversity? My best camping trips with the TD have been in snow/rain/cold weather. Not sure if the same will be said about hot weather as I have no AC and don't plan on it.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 am

Eagle , beautiful location to camp .... The TD looks comfortable inside if as yet unfinished ...

Here's an idea about the tarp thing ..... one of the CT guys was using something like this ... very simple , practical , one pole and 3 stakes and for more TD roof coverage you can attach one point on the far side of the trailer and let it drape over the top a bit ... won't hold any water and should be good even in a breeze... Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:44 am

GPW -

I was in the BORG this weekend and saw this tool -

It is a carpet seam roller. Looks like it could be another alternative tool to be used to give the foam some "bite" for adhesion of the canvas skin.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Tom, Wicked looking tools we Foamie folks use eh ... :o Cool find !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Hey Eagle, plug your cord into the source then your surge protector into the cort at the trailer end. then all of your outlets will be in the trailer. Just be sure your cord is big enough to handle the current draw. Best to do it the other way with more cords, but you can work it around in a pinch if you forget next time.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 am

I think we need to discuss Thrifty/Practical electrical systems for Foamies ...
:thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:10 pm

GPW wrote:I think we need to discuss Thrifty/Practical electrical systems for Foamies ...
:thinking:

Something like this perhaps?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:48 pm

When I ran my 12 volt wires I used an old extension cord that the outer sheath had deteriorated beyond use. Inside wire was still good. And I figure as it was made for 120 V 10 amp it would work just fine. Where I work now they are so up tight about safety ( HA ) they don't want extension cords with any damage, don't even replace the plugs so I have been collecting a mess of fine extension cords.

8)

Randy
Last edited by Wolffarmer on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies