Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Mike , EXACTLY!!!! Beauty in it's Simplicity !!! 8) 8) 8) That says it All !!!

Wolf , that should work fine for 12V.... Thrifty !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

One piece Fabric for a Foamie

Postby Red Diamond Ranch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't post much but I follow this forum regularly. I found this material and thought it may be worth looking into. There are some other items there that I think would be of interest also.
http://shop.ebay.com/peaktop_us/m.html? ... 4340.l2562

I did the 3 part mineral spirits and 1 part Poly test on some lumber I had 2"x8"x12', 2"x12"x6' and a 4'x8'x3/4" plywood last fall. I then set them out by the pasture gate. Absolutely fantastic results. From rain, snow, ice storms and 110 degree heat day after day in this Oklahoma Sunshine which makes birds fall dead from the sky. I have no doubt these pieces will last the rest of my life life without any trouble. When the weather cools down the projects will begin in earnest.
For now I'm just enjoying this forum by the air conditioner. javascript:emoticon(':D')
Red Diamond Ranch
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:14 pm

welcome. glad you came out from hiding. do you plan on building a foamie?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Red , Thanks for affirming the poly mix.... always worked for me ... :thumbsup: Love those sail canopies ... just too easy .... and Thrifty ... :D

Welcome to the Foamies ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Red Diamond Ranch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:05 pm

I have a couple of projects planned. Both involve foamie construction. One, a larger than usual Tiny Trailer, 7'x16'. Because I am, shall we say twice the man I used to be. LOL
The other is an 11' Foamie Truck Camper. I have all of the materials for that one. Just need some cooler weather. I plan to use the Sail Cloth fabric, several coats of primer, sanding 'till my arms fall off and then a few coats of a good acrylic paint. Commercial vinyl wallpaper inside, the kind you could use for a trampoline, 54" wide rolls, double cut the seams.
Yes, it is a lot work. But I've got nothing else to do except sit on my ever expanding back-side. All the livestock are gone. Just Ticks and Copperheads now. :o

The builds will be much more healthy and fun for us. Yep I said us, we do everything together. That has worked well for the last 42 years. :D
Red Diamond Ranch
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Sounds like Fun Red !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:58 am

GPW -

HF has just released a 20% off coupon. Here's a link to print the coupon or just use the internet code:

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?hdr=mag&week=2811&campaign=b&page=2811b_direct.html&cust=00142794929&keycode=1014

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:10 am

Tom , Thanks !!!! :thumbsup: :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:26 am

oh sure realize an internet coupon when i can't use it. i paid a non thrifty amount for my trailer.

i think i am just going to get a new trailer for the second build. and the chapter director is talking about another build weekend for next year. so who knows i might have help on the second one.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:55 am

Things seem to work out that way, huh? .... Was planning on getting the HF folding trailer for the little Foamie , But yesterday , the wife had eye surgery , and lightning hit CLOSE and knocked out my BFS TV and sat box... :o There goes the trailer budget ... grrrrrr!!! Looks like now , i'll have to use the trailer that it's on right now , although too long and too wide ... will have to just "make it fit" ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Who needs Sat. TV?

I tossed my TVs in May 2001. Yes, I have gone over 10 years without TV.

Just don't get between me and the internet.

:D

Also I didn't get DSL until 2007. I was Dial up before

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Wolf, you're a better man than I !!! I have my "programs".... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Thinking about my trailer , I need to move the axle back a couple holes , but still the trailer is a bit long ... Image

still a space in the back ,thought about one of these ... perfect fit , and we can strap a bike or two on it ... no serious weight in the back .... http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 66983.html Trying to be practical here.... Still have to put the AC in the front ...

Eagle , and for some reason ,my door is now tight also ???? :o Does foam expand later ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:56 pm

well at least someone really reads others posts... :lol: but i have to think that maybe the foam does expand, since it happened to you. i haven't been back out there to check on it. i know i have cinched my straps tight before, like everytime, so the only thing i could think is heat=expansion?

i know i have been wanting to redue my doors anyway, so this will at least tell me to make them a little bit smaller and then build my frame around that. i was thinking of a wood frame, but then i was thinking foam frame. hmmm, must think some more. i know i have some foam out there i could use for that.
if its a nice day tomorrow i might give it a shot. even though i have no idea what i am doing.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:01 pm

It's possible that you warped your trailer body, causing your door to jam.

Mike...

eaglesdare wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:off to go get organized now.

If you have any extra I will trade you some coleman stoves for it.

Randy

this is what i was confussed about.

gpw: details? 3 of us full grown adults slept in the tear sideways and the grandaughter slept in the bunk. a little tight, but very doable. however the rest of the nights one girl slept in the car.
the only problem i had was the door would not close correctly and then once closed i could not get the lock to turn. i am not sure if i put the cinch strape to tight and it squeezed the foam, or the heat expanded the foam? but its the first time i had a problem with the door. i will check tomorrow and see if its the strape or not. but other than that, i have no other details. LOVE IT! especially pulling into a site at midnight and hopping into bed.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies