Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:12 am

Mel,

My can was labeled enamel. Your's is labeled latex? Definitely test that before you get too far along!

Mike...

atahoekid wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Mel,

Be sure to check out my adhesion tests before committing to your adhesive!

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 283#842283

Mike...

Thanks for the info. I did view the video and the paint worked the best on canvas. The local hardware store was giving away mis-tinted paint yesterday and I grabbed 2 gallons of flat exterior latex. You used semi-gloss if I remember. Do you think it will make a difference? Thanks for being one of the pioneers . :applause: :applause: I'm watching your standie build thread closely.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:11 am

pat g wrote:Hey Eagle,

Why not make a corresponding rabbet on your door so that it will sit flush and overlap like a puzzle?

Pat G

thanks pat, but i have no idea what that is. :oops:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:49 am

Eagle , small furry animal , Long ears , bushy tail ... dines in your garden ... :lol:

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:09 am

oh my mistake, i thought that was a wabbit. :lol:

thanks for the link. but is pat suggesting i cut into my foam wall to make this 'rabbet'? that will never happen. i am not cutting into the shell.

i think if i just use a few screws and small pieces of wood, i should be fine. maybe not exactly like that but real close.

working on my second cup now, then out back i shall go.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am

Here's an idea ... Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:27 am

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:31 am

Couldn't resist!!!!!!!!

Kill the wabbit! Kill the wabbit!!

tinksdad
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 pm

da wall, da door, da wabbit, that sounds and looks like a lot of da work! :lol:

i don't know how you guys get stuff done in a reasonable amount of time. maybe i should have taken shop in school instead of home ec?

almost 3 hours out there and i finally got a door shape, first coat of pure tb3 is on. that is all to report.

i double checked my other side for the weather strippng on the hatch and it seems to be holding so i will not take it off and glue.

now back to that dam door. i still don't like it, but i think i am stuck because the shape of the opening is off, so my door is off. but i am working on getting it to look good and still be water proof.

i'm also thinking about a rain type gutter across the top of the tear. not sure what you guys call it. then install hooks into the spars and make a awning or something to cover in sun and rain.

and i think i have plenty of foam to redue the storage area and make it my galley.

oh i sat outside in the tear for awhile and tried to put up those jeans, well i ended up not liking it at all. so i think i will buy lots of different kinds of disney fabric and just do a patch work on the inside.

so that is all i have for now.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:19 pm

eaglesdare wrote:i'm also thinking about a rain type gutter across the top of the tear. not sure what you guys call it.

I call it a rain gutter if it moves the water to one side or the other. If it lets it run off over the face but further away from the wall I would call it a rain cap.

Here is a link to Grants parts page for a rain cap, or as he calls it a "drip cap"

Thingy

For a round top door a "gutter" will probably be best. That is what I did.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 pm

oh thanks for that link wolf! i can do one of those with foam and canvas!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:01 am

i just realized i almost did a boo-boo with my door.
yesterday i was going to canvas the back side of the door so the front canvas would overlap to the back, (not seen from the outside).

i just now thought about it and i did not do the back, i did the front. but now thinking about it, i am glad i did not do the back, because i did not cut out the small lip around the window in the back. and i did not add the wood to hold the hinges and latch. so mistakes do happen for a reason.

not sure i have anymore screen mesh around now to do that window. i can't reuse the mickey screen, because that was all chopped up and hot glued, i will never beable to reuse it.

i think a tent blew out into the woods, i could use that, but have to wait til hubby goes out to fetch it. i don't go into the woods here in warmer months. snakes, and i don't do snakes!

gotta check up on the weather, last i read it was suppose to rain. so i need to get out and cover the foamie before it does.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:54 am

Eagle , we learn as we go .... Pics Please !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 am

the only pic i have so far is this one. its just there drying.

same shape as before just a better fit (hopefully :worship: ) and a rectangle window.

the oldest girl here wants to join the navy. so we were taking the asvab practice test. i got one of the answers right because of this site! the question was something about what a "kerf" was.
i came into this site calling that a "score", but i now know its kerfing! :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Looks Good Eagle !!!! , now you can wrap the edges and make the front part even with the edges .. :thumbsup:

Navy ??? :o been there , done that ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:09 am

yeah both hubby and i are retired navy. so we been there dun that also. lol

but i was just reading a post of yours and gosh it was like the light bulb just went off inside this here ole brain. but you know one of the things i really don't like about my tear is the shape. there is a weird bump at the top and its really not a flowing curve.

but with some thought and more foam :thinking: could it be made to look better? could a rack be built up there for something? i know since it wasn't build to carry weight on top nothing heavy could go up there, but an illusion of sorts, something to take away that horrible looking shape.

sure wished you lived closer gpw!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies