FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby depatty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Have you got 2 eye springs or are they one eye in front and slide on the frame in back? If 2 eye you may be able to gain a little with longer shackle links. That's assuming that the existing links aren't already long ones.
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Dave I’ve got those slipper springs (one eye) .. Seems easier to pad the spring/axle where the U bolts are ... Was thinking of just buying multiple U-bolt plates and longer U bolts and stacking up four for a 1" height gain ... :thinking: I checked into having some blocks made , but that was much pricier than the plates ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby depatty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:51 pm

GPW,

Not sure what size you need but take a look at this site http://www.stengelbros.net/Leaf-Springs--Lift-Blocks_c_835.html and see if any of their lift blocks will fit your axle. Might be too pricy, just not real comfortable with stacked plates unless there's welding involved to keep things from shifting.
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Dave Thanks !!! ... That’s not a bad price and I only need two 8) ... I’ll have to go take some critical measurements and see what fits... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Well , here’s a bummer ... They ( ^ ) don’t make lift blocks small enough for my 1 3/4” wide trailer springs :duh: ... so it’s back to the multiple plate idea, and I’ll be sure to have my friend throw a couple tacks on there to keep them together... And yes those small fat tires still look inviting , and we could save a little height too, as the ones I have on there now measured out to 21.5 +“ tall .. So maybe I could gain an inch there too ... :thinking: That would give me ~3.25” tire to floor ... That should be enough , except for the notorious New Orleans potholes of which nothing is safe .. :frightened:

Ps. And those other tires won’t go to waste , as they fit the other trailer that the Zephyr will be built on ... the tires on there now are as we say "Gone pecan” ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:58 am

Worried about all the Ice we had :frightened: ... the temp got up to 74F yesterday, got out and inspected the FS for any ice caused problems ... Couldn’t find anything despite looking ALL over ... so it’s all Good !!! Inside is still Very Dry ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ebutler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:05 pm

That dang global warming is really messing things up! :roll:
Elmo
Build Stuff Or Perish
ebutler
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:18 pm

It was predicted as weather extremes ... and some places would get more rain , some places less... Can’t wait till summer ... :frightened: Good thing I’m well insulated ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby celticquetzel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Send. Water. West. Gasp.
celticquetzel
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 am

Really wish I could send water to everybody .... Living a country block from the Miss. River, we have much More than we need ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 am

Update: Haven’t done Zip to the FS , either the weather is not suitable , or the timing is bad with my friend the welder ... kinda’ waiting for things to warm up a bit ... still pretty COLD outside !!!
Been inside the FS a few times to look around (inspection) ... nothing new... still very dry inside despite all this rain ...everything seems Good ... so far ...

Still undecided on the tire business ... Still thinking the Fat ones would be better ,and look more appropriate ... the ones now just look so Skinny .. :frightened:
The local hardware store has the plates and U bolts we need to raise the height another inch ...so it’s all good , just still uncomfortable to work outside ... and it’s raining ...again... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:00 am

GPW wrote:Update: Haven’t done Zip to the FS , either the weather is not suitable , or the timing is bad with my friend the welder ... kinda’ waiting for things to warm up a bit ... still pretty COLD outside !!!
Been inside the FS a few times to look around (inspection) ... nothing new... still very dry inside despite all this rain ...everything seems Good ... so far ...

Still undecided on the tire business ... Still thinking the Fat ones would be better ,and look more appropriate ... the ones now just look so Skinny .. :frightened:
The local hardware store has the plates and U bolts we need to raise the height another inch ...so it’s all good , just still uncomfortable to work outside ... and it’s raining ...again... :roll:

I would say for your amount of usage, I would use which ever tire you think looks best, If it were going to be traveling lots of miles at highway speeds, I would be more concerned.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 pm

That’s true huh .... as much traveling as we’ve done with it so far , it hardly needs tires at all ... :roll: ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:31 pm

WEll, don't push your luck so you need pontoons when you need to use it.

:R :R Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:40 am

According to the weatherman , it’ll be up to 75F on Monday ... Good time to work on the FS ... Whatever we do I have to get it legal ...That’s important !!! Then I could drag it around...on the pontoons .... :lol:

Randy , you get any rain?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies