FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby RandyG » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:18 am

Geep, do you sleep at all? I see you posting early as heck. I thought I am only one up this time of day. :lol:
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 am

GPW wrote:it’ll be up to 75F on Monday

It's snowing here. 29 deg F. Going to be a mix of a lot of snow, rain, more snow, for the next 24 hrs.

:x :cry: :frightened: :x :cry: :frightened:

On the plus side, if they close work early I'll already be here to work on those brackets. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:41 am

RG, old guys don’t sleep ,we just take a lot of naps ... :lol: Up early, but then, we’re passed out by 9:00 at night ... :goodnight:

KC ... unlike youse’ guys , we’re not used to the Cold weather at all , and the warmer temps will be Much appreciated... I’ve been “chilled” for months ... walking around bundled up like an Eskimo ... and seeing what others are experiencing , it’s Not that cold here :o ... the standard excuse here is ... “ but it’s the Humidity” ... which we blame most everything on... :NC

Sitting here now , wearing (in order) ... T-shirt, flannel shirt , sweater, hoodie , camo field jacket , and my “plaid" over that .... 53.6F in the Studio, sitting next to a little milkhouse' heater (same one I used in the FS testing) ... and I’m not even outside , yet still “frozen” .. when it hits 75F , I’ll be down to the flannel shirt .... still a bit chilly ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:00 am

Past few days we have gotten some rain and temps during the day up to the high 30s, low 40s. Just checked the weather sight 42 in town at 8 am.

We have not had enough precipitation to end the drought even though they are now calling for flood watches in areas. Mostly cause of the frozen ground does not let the rain soak in. Ground is frozen where I live but it is pretty flat here so it mostly puddles up and meanders around a bit. Even if it does snow up in the mountains now that late snow pack will probably melt earlier than normal and run off early. But better than nothing.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:12 am

Well Good that you’re getting something !!! :thumbsup: It’s always never enough , or waaay too much ... :NC
Being old , I’m noticing a Cycle of the weather ... small 5-10 yr. patterns , and bigger 25-30 year patterns ,all seemingly repeated over and over... Wonder if anybody’s drawn a chart of this (surely huh ? ) :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm

KC had no power for a day and over nite, looks like the mess we had is going right up the east coast to your neighborhood. I spent the day cleaning up the drive? the gravel /dirt driveway to the house had 3 8 inch limbs one 10 in and gazillian small limbs and yes that is what my back is telling me. I got the tractor out and pulled the 2 of the 8 inches and 10 incher just off the driveway. My son will have to saw them up later in a couple of months. I had at least 4 trees fall from the weight of the ice. and typically like in the south it is mostly gone now. hey I braved the cold in the house I slept under 2 blankets and a very nice down comforter.and today it was 45 degrees. My power is back on!!!!

GPW they don't understand naps yet but they will........ and weather cycles, yep 1973 they had what we just expierenced and in 1983 we had the same thing happen that happened last two weeks ago. problem we just had both in a months time.

Randy, Maybe the rain will come this spring........

I will post a couple of :pictures: on Grits of the snow and ice......

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Past few days we have gotten some rain and temps during the day up to the high 30s, low 40s. Just checked the weather sight 42 in town at 8 am.

We have not had enough precipitation to end the drought even though they are now calling for flood watches in areas. Mostly cause of the frozen ground does not let the rain soak in. Ground is frozen where I live but it is pretty flat here so it mostly puddles up and meanders around a bit. Even if it does snow up in the mountains now that late snow pack will probably melt earlier than normal and run off early. But better than nothing.

Randy

It's roughly the same here, too, Randy. At least we're finally getting some rain. ...Won't be enough; but, hopefully, it'll be better than nothing. :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rowerwet » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:58 am

totally bummed we got rain, this was shaping up to be a great snow storm, instead it is 8" of slush and the highway departments all went home after it turned to rain last night, then it finally went back to snow for the morning, so the roads are a horrible... :disappointed:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:41 am

36F here now , supposed to be high 60’s today , and yes , Rain ... :o Spring is right around the corner... That's when it goes from Cold and rainy , to warm and rainy ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 am

I was rather glad that it stayed warmer and things didn't ice up too badly. Roads were pretty well deiced on the ride in, tho I'm further south from Rower.

looks like things are going to warm up on Tuesday. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:41 am

Wolffarmer wrote:WEll, don't push your luck so you need pontoons when you need to use it.

:R :R Randy

I'm not suggesting he do something unsafe LOL, still need to be sure the shorter wider tires meet the weight requirements and are DOT, but I would think any DOT will meet the weight requirements of a foamy ;)

thin and tall vs short and wide each have their own pro's and con's. I'm just saying for limited use there's no sense beating yourself up over one or the other, either would work fine

tall and skinny are good for better gas milage ( less drag being skinny) and less bearing wear since they will have less RPM's for any given speed compared to the shorter ones

the shorter fat ones are better for stability and flotation over soft surfaces (sand, mud)

I just don't see any of this being a big factor for the Foamstream. You say you won't be towing fast, and I've never heard you talk about concerns of road conditions needing the wider over the thin
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:21 am

SJ, the original EVAC idea was to use a tire that I could find most anywhere...like at a Wal Mart ... so all this worry may be foolish on my part , as the fatties will be likely harder to find ... :duh: Must keep with “the Plan” ... :thinking: Without having actually weighed it yet , I calculate the FS weight to be < 1000lbs. so the ones on there now are loaded like half of what they’re rated... could be bumpy is all huh ... ?

Honestly , I hope I never have to use the FS for it’s intended purpose (dodging Hurricanes) , but that’s unlikely to happen eh ... :roll: Getting the wife to voluntarily go camping ... probably Not going to happen ... :NC Could be Fun for the band’s outta’ town gigs , where you hate to drive home at 4:00 in the morning ...or maybe shouldn’t ... :beer:

Our road conditions... Fairly good , punctuated by the occasional evil bump or pothole ... careful driving is indicated... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:02 am

you may have a hard time finding tires rated much lower, you can adjust the bounce with tire pressure, oh yeah and ballast, as you often point out LOL.
Just because the tire says 32 max PSI does not mean you have to run it at 32 PSI, But I would bet you already know this LOL

and yeah, it isn't fun getting a flat tire on Sunday afternoon and not finding one to fit at any of the places open on a Sunday... but seems to me they had a lot of the small sizes in stock, not sure about the fat ones like you said.

I was more trying to point out that I think any size will be fine for the Foamsteam, and you shouldn't be to worried about if this or that will be good enough, if it fits (with clearance like you are checking,) and is acceptable to you, I'm sure it will work fine.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks SJ, your thoughts are reassuring !!! I’d best worry about getting this registered , so I can use it legally for whatever comes up... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:01 am

Eventually we’d like to replace those old rusty (more than rusty :frightened: ) springs , and bushings, and bolts , etc. etc. While adjusting the height , it may be a good idea to just go ahead and change all that once the U bolts are off ??? Have to plan for that when the weather gets better/warmer... We’ll just have to take it easy going to the State Police office for the stamp ( a test :thinking: ) 40 mile tow , there and back again ... once that’s done we can bring it back home , jack it up and work on that suspension ... get it right!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies