Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby josephhanson » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:12 am

Now you've hit a soft spot. We also take care of our critters too good. I've never had one pass in their sleep, I am left with a dicision to end their suffering.
We have a cat that is going on 23 years old. I share my work shop with her, I've built a heat chamber for her to use in the winter, put a hole in the cement block wall so she can come and go, and change her bedding regularly.
My dogs all live way longer than their size usually live.
When they finally do pass, they are missed, just like family (family that gives you unending devotion)
My thoughts go out to your pets, I do think they are centenient beings and will move on.
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby Anita Rae » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:16 am

Eagle, I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I know how heart breaking that is. Pets give us a lot of joy but loosing a pet is almost like loosing a family member. Hugs.

Vinyl windows. Here they are on a rag top. Back when we had ours, the windows had zippers to open and close. I don't know if that is how it's still done.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/ford~bronco~soft_top~parts.html

I can't find a good picture of what they looks like in a home. but they are made of thick clear plastic. I've been in homes where people leave their table set all the time and they cover the cloth with clear plastic to keep it clean. This is the same stuff. It comes in 4 thicknesses. The real thin stuff wouldn't work as windows but the thicker stuff is what they use. It would be dirt cheap to use, very light and easy to replace if there should be any kind of problem.
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:33 am

thank you all for the kind thoughts and words. i know i sort of just blurted it out about his passing because i just had to get it out and then i started crying so i stopped and got off the puter

my little guy had a good life. i snatched him up when he was only 2lbs, he was put down on the ground for a wolf pack to eat. i could not watch that and grabbed that little guy and took him home. he was 13 yrs old and weighed a whole 11lbs. LOL
at the time we got him i had a house full of 150 lb great danes, so i ran around the house yelling, get the puppy, get the puppy (i was afraid the big dogs would hurt the little puppy), so that is what his name became, puppy, aka pup pup.
he turned into my little protector, but ended up biting me more times than i can count.
my daughter had just put flea drops on him, and not too long, like only minutes, he started acting weird. he would not walk and just sort of froze up. did not really give it much thought, til around 1130 at night, when he was whimpering in pain. so i thought maybe those drops were burning him, and i gave him a bath hopeing to remove some of the poison. i dried him off and wrapped him up and took him to bed with me. but he still seemed like he wasn't comfortable. i fixed him a soft bed in the connecting bathroom and set him there, where he seemed to lay down comfortably. i then went to bed.
that is where hubby found him the next morning.

so weather or not it was those flea drops i don't know. he was fine prior to that. and he has had drops before, but this was a different kind my daughter got from another source. i am not 100% convinced that flea drops are all that safe especially for small dogs. so i do have to wonder about this.

anita, i know now what you are talking about, and i love that idea! wonder if i could shape into a mickey head. :thinking:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:11 am

Eagle , if you’re really stuck on the idea of Mouse windows (which are COOL !!!), you could just cut out some plexiglass to fit exact , and then just glue them in and “glazeâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:43 am

could you combine different colored plastics to give it a stained glass window effect
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:53 am

i tried the plexiglass shape. its too hard to smooth out the edge.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:01 am

Sander smooths edges ... and the caulk covers it all anyway ... Right ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:09 am

oh and i do want them to open. i will work over the winter/spring on my new doors. which will include the newer windows.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 am

You want opening Mouse windows ... ??? :o ........ possible ... but not easy... Hmmmm? :thinking:
Ok, I got it figured out ... but it’s a lot of work ... might have to get Hubby to help ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Verna » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 am

Louella/Eagledare:

I'm so sorry to hear about dog dog. They always leave such large pawprints on our hearts, no matter what their physical size :(

I put the flea/tick drops on 11 lb Sunny Day two weeks ago before my sister and I went to Michigan. The Vet highly recommended them due to the high number of lyme carrying ticks there. Sunny was subdued for about 30 hours. It's strange for an 18 month old dog to not want to play, so it was noticible. I think I'll stick with the flea/tick pills and just brush her 3 or four times a day the next time, especially after hearing about dog dog.

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:53 am

OK, how about this ??? Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:13 am

Verna wrote:Louella/Eagledare:

I'm so sorry to hear about dog dog. They always leave such large pawprints on our hearts, no matter what their physical size :(

I put the flea/tick drops on 11 lb Sunny Day two weeks ago before my sister and I went to Michigan. The Vet highly recommended them due to the high number of lyme carrying ticks there. Sunny was subdued for about 30 hours. It's strange for an 18 month old dog to not want to play, so it was noticible. I think I'll stick with the flea/tick pills and just brush her 3 or four times a day the next time, especially after hearing about dog dog.

Verna

thank you so much. his name is pup pup, not dog dog. did i type dog dog? oops. that gave me a good chuckle. lol

if you search flea drops and that sort of thing, you will see there actually is a lot of problems with dogs, and i noticed small ones a lot more so.

now i have a smaller 6lb dog also. and i honestly think the drops have left so much built up poison in her that she can barely walk. this is just my guess though, but for me its too darn coincedental (?). but this last time with the new stuff i made sure my daughter only put a small amount on her and not the full dose. but i know she gave the older one the full dose. hopefully with winter and cooler months coming up i can lay off witht he drops.
i am not worried about ticks, our dogs really for some reason don't pick them up. maybe the drops are working on that though. although my cats pick up ticks even with drops so who the heck knows.

good luck on your dog with this stuff. but seriously search and see what responses you read. i don't believe everything i read, but after what my two little ones have gone thru i have to wonder.
and i have had no problems with my big dogs and drops.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:25 am

GPW wrote:OK, how about this ??? Image

oh i like this (of course!) :lol:
i will have to work on hubby to help me though. hmmm wanna help chip in for 500lbs of beer. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:05 am

Schmaybe’ Hubby should buy his own Beer... sorta’ self-regulating ... :roll: :lol:
Thinking this window would be easy to do as the Lexan piece (mousy head) IS the whole window ... the cutout and ledge , sealing , hinging is just more of the same .... Cutting the Lexan isn’t too difficult with a jig saw on SLOW , and the right blade , and then , there’s the finishing of the edges , sanding and polishing.... The shape isn’t really “criticalâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:11 am

... and oh yes , we’d have to reinforce the wall/ door with some hard points for hinge attachments ... could be as simple as a few 1/2â€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies